Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2017 11:32:44 PM EDT
Driving in from Colorado.  Is Lisle pretty safe I am staying at a big Sheraton there.  Do I need to bring a giant hand full of coins/change for the tolls or do they have attendents to take cash?  In colorado they just mail you a bill for driving on the toll roads here.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Driving in from Colorado.  Is Lisle pretty safe I am staying at a big Sheraton there.  Do I need to bring a giant hand full of coins/change for the tolls or do they have attendents to take cash?  In colorado they just mail you a bill for driving on the toll roads here.

Thanks!
View Quote

From what I know, I'd say Lisle is pretty safe.

If you blow thru a toll, you've got seven days where you can pay toll online.  Most probably have attendant lanes, but they can get backed up at times.

plan your trip, calculate tolls and see construction
https://www.illinoistollway.com
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
There are barrier tolls and ramp tolls in Illinois.  

The barrier tolls used to be just a system of manned and automated booths, but now they all have Open Road Tolling in the main line of the highway and a mix of slower electronic tolling and cash lanes set to the side of the main flow of traffic.  The cash lanes at the barrier tolls are manned.

The ramp tolls are a mix of electronic tolling and cash lanes.  I'm not sure if any of the ramp tolls are manned any more.  Some are completely unattended having electronic tolling only.

As InterestedBystander said, if you blow a toll, you can pay it online.  You have 7 days to do so.  Follow the link in his post and go to the section on unpaid tolls.

My recommendation: If you know you'll be able to pay the tolls within 7 days of the first missed toll, then just use the I-PASS lanes and deal with it afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Also know that the Cash lanes are typically DOUBLE the iPass lanes.

I think the best (cheapest) is to pay online. Keep track of the tollbooth and time.

$orry our $tate i$ $uch a pain.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also know that the Cash lanes are typically DOUBLE the iPass lanes.

I think the best (cheapest) is to pay online. Keep track of the tollbooth and time.

$orry our $tate i$ $uch a pain.
View Quote
If you pay online you pay the cash price.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you pay online you pay the cash price.
View Quote
Ouch.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I use to live in downers grove(town next to lisle) it's a good area. Some good places to eat in area including tons of places in Naperville.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Lisle is not scary; assuming you lock your stuff at all times and don't make poor choices ;)

Tolls - the prior guidance is all good with one caveat; IIRC you need to know the toll plaza number in order to pay a missed toll. I once had an iPass die and tried to pay online; not the most intuitive process.

I can't now but will try to find the website that lists toll plazas so you can see why I don't think it's intuitive
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of cash for the manned thru tolls $3.80 each and the off ramps you need $$ lot of coinage. Before I got my ipass i got $20 in dollar coinage from the bank  and a roll of quarters for just off ramps they are pretty expensive also. You can over pay the coin tolls to get thru.  $3.60 coin toll I toss in $3.75  less coins I have to carry .
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Illinois Tollway website

Do you happen to have an EZ-Pass? They're accepted on IL tollways. Otherwise either order an IPass online, or

If you're just going to be in/out and not using the tollways much while here, I'd just pay the cash price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Mullen’s right next to that hotel is a pretty decent bar that’s within walking distance!
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Lisle is fine. I used to work for Honda of Lisle and never had any issues in the area besides traffic. Toll roads are far better if you have an Ipass but cash works at most toll booths but it will be double the ipass cost. Or you can go online and pay your missed tolls there. You have 7 days to pay your missed tolls.  Hit up Bueno beef for lunch, they've got good food for what they are. Portfolios is also a must eat at. 
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lisle is fine. I used to work for Honda of Lisle and never had any issues in the area besides traffic. Toll roads are far better if you have an Ipass but cash works at most toll booths but it will be double the ipass cost. Or you can go online and pay your missed tolls there. You have 7 days to pay your missed tolls.  Hit up Bueno beef for lunch, they've got good food for what they are. Portfolios is also a must eat at. 
View Quote
Never heard of Buenos or Portfolios, but you should really try Buona and Portillos sometime.

Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Never heard of Buenos or Portfolios, but you should really try Buona and Portillos sometime.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@M14 Beat me to it But this is legit advice

@OP: if you can find a grocery store as you enter the state, perhaps you can buy a pre-pay iPass?
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Buona Beef has the best hamburgers in town.

Their Italian beef is a little spicy.

I like Portillo's Italian beef the best.

Mullen's is good.

Allgauer's is a little pricey and Sunday brunch there is great.

South of 88 go west on Diehl Rd for Morton's or Magiano's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top