Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2021 10:28:26 AM EDT
Hi all, I'm traveling through CO on my way to Moab. Both my wife and I travel with our handguns (S&W model 37 and Ruger LC9S). We both normally carry IWB but since we do not have a CO CCW permits or reciprocity with our FL/PA permits we know that is a no go. I have read, loaded car carry is OK. If I stop at a Wal-Mart or get gas, can I just tuck my shirt behind my IWB holster to "open carry"? Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi all, I'm traveling through CO on my way to Moab. Both my wife and I travel with our handguns (S&W model 37 and Ruger LC9S). We both normally carry IWB but since we do not have a CO CCW permits or reciprocity with our FL/PA permits we know that is a no go. I have read, loaded car carry is OK. If I stop at a Wal-Mart or get gas, can I just tuck my shirt behind my IWB holster to "open carry"? Thanks in advance for your help.
View Quote

why was it important for you to tell us what guns you carry?
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

why was it important for you to tell us what guns you carry?
View Quote

He might think there could be a type/model restriction in certain parts.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Open carry is not protected and varies by municipality.

Carrying concealed is a misdemeanor. Just saying
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He might think there could be a type/model restriction in certain parts.
View Quote

That's correct. I was also thinking about CO's has mag capacity limits. My Glock 17 with a 19 round mag is a no go, correct?
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's correct. I was also thinking about CO's has mag capacity limits. My Glock 17 with a 19 round mag is a no go, correct?
View Quote

Only if you didn't own the magazine prior to July 2013... which you did... right?
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
A) Walmart sucks.  Don't go there.
B) Open carry... in Denver/Suburbs, you are really asking to be singled out.  You RARELY see open carry around Denver.  Maybe in Rifle/Palisade/Grand Junction, but not the front range.
C) Lucky for you, you bought that high capacity magazine back in 2012, or was it 2011?  Maybe 2010?  Long time ago.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I still have pre-1994 federal AWB mags for guns. The joys of growing up in the gulag of New York-istan.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A) Walmart sucks.  Don't go there.
B) Open carry... in Denver/Suburbs, you are really asking to be singled out.  You RARELY see open carry around Denver.  Maybe in Rifle/Palisade/Grand Junction, but not the front range.
C) Lucky for you, you bought that high capacity magazine back in 2012, or was it 2011?  Maybe 2010?  Long time ago.
View Quote

Western slope is hugely open carry and gun friendly so should be GTG here with no issues
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Western slope is hugely open carry and gun friendly so should be GTG here with no issues
View Quote

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread.

To summarize, as long as we avoid open carry anywhere in and around Denver we should be good to go. Open carry on the western side of the continental divide is more common and accepted.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty sure Colorado has reciprocity with both Florida and Pennsylvania? Mags are not a issue unless you are in Denver/Boulder .

Colorado CCW Reciprocity
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pretty sure Colorado has reciprocity with both Florida and Pennsylvania? Mags are not a issue unless you are in Denver/Boulder .

Colorado CCW Reciprocity
View Quote

I'm not a resident of PA or FL, so no CO reciprocity for me??
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread.

To summarize, as long as we avoid open carry anywhere in and around Denver we should be good to go. Open carry on the western side of the continental divide is more common and accepted.
View Quote

If you really want to get specific, I'd probably open carry West of Glenwood Springs, but not East.  OK.  Maybe Gypsum, but not Vail and not Glenwood Springs.  Newcastle and West is probably GTG.

But, I'm splitting hairs at this point.

Enjoy your trip!
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you really want to get specific, I'd probably open carry West of Glenwood Springs, but not East.  OK.  Maybe Gypsum, but not Vail and not Glenwood Springs.  Newcastle and West is probably GTG.

But, I'm splitting hairs at this point.

Enjoy your trip!
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Open carry is not unusual in Colo Spgs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top