Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2021 7:39:13 PM EDT
I'm checking out travel nurse assignments in California. I have an Arkansas Carry Permit which I know isn't valid in your state. If I travel there,  is there anything I can take with me, like a LC9S for the motel room? How about a knife? I don't want to get jammed up trying to make a living.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...Knife laws aren't to bad, you can carry any length knife on your belt as long as it's not concealed by your shirt, jacket... Assisted are legal, automatic can't have a blade over 2", no stilleto's, out the front I'm not sure...
View Quote

So no "pocket" knives?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The belt carry refers to fixed blade knives.  Pocketed folding knives are fine, with the limits noted above for assisted, vs switchblade, etc.  The laws are a little obscure but can be looked up.

"Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment."  FWIW, the "utility compartment" has not been more fully described/defined.  I suppose one could put a locked container in the glove compartment but that's perhaps asking for trouble?

They don't really mean "any" handgun.    It's any handgun that is not considered an assault weapon.  As a visitor or potentially new resident, you could not legally import an assault weapon.  The most likely gotcha is the threaded barrel and/or magazine capacity.  The California AW definitions are in the stickied threads at the top.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top