Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2020 8:10:30 PM EDT
Does anybody here know the lawful way to transport a handgun while on motorcycle here in SoCal? I searched and couldn’t find a clear answer online, haven’t called a lawyer, and figured somebody here might know the legal method of transporting a handgun while on motorcycle, so here I am asking. I understand that whatever is posted here is not legal advice and nobody here is my lawyer, I’m just trying to get a rough understanding of it.
I have a crotch rocket and I would like to hit up my local range to get some trigger time with my handgun, but don’t want to get busted for unknowingly committing a crime and possibly getting my right to own a gun taken from me. I figure if I have it unloaded in a locked container in my backpack I should be good to go since it’s not easily accessible, but Im not sure if that’s illegal. Can anybody here shed some light?
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anybody here know the lawful way to transport a handgun while on motorcycle here in SoCal? I searched and couldn’t find a clear answer online, haven’t called a lawyer, and figured somebody here might know the legal method of transporting a handgun while on motorcycle, so here I am asking. I understand that whatever is posted here is not legal advice and nobody here is my lawyer, I’m just trying to get a rough understanding of it.
I have a crotch rocket and I would like to hit up my local range to get some trigger time with my handgun, but don’t want to get busted for unknowingly committing a crime and possibly getting my right to own a gun taken from me. I figure if I have it unloaded in a locked container in my backpack I should be good to go since it’s not easily accessible, but Im not sure if that’s illegal. Can anybody here shed some light?
View Quote

When I lived in CA I use to transport a handgun either in a tank bag or a back pack. I threw on one of those TSA approved combo locks on the zippers. It was a locked container so it met the rules as far as I was concerned. I was never pulled over so I was never asked about having any weapons.  No, I'm not a lawyer and have never stayed in a holiday in express so my advice is worth zilch.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure how this works fully but once not transporting the handgun on/in the vehicle (unloaded in the locked container), one is apparently supposed to go directly to/from the lawful purpose.  That said, it's hard to find the specific requirement for that, it seems to be mentioned along with the discussions of transporting the handgun but I haven't found the root requirement.  So legal place to place would be OK but stopping and shopping wouldn't?  A car is more secure than a bike so one might "safely??" leave the locked container secure in a vehicle but might not have a secure locked spot on a bike.  Nor do I think that might be stretched to always having a hundgun with you in a locked container unloaded, even in a vehcile, and especially not out and about in a backpack.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
A tank bag would be the motorcycle equivalent of a car's trunk, as would be saddle bags.  

A back pack, less so, as you are carrying it on your person, sort of.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A tank bag would be the motorcycle equivalent of a car's trunk, as would be saddle bags.  

A back pack, less so, as you are carrying it on your person, sort of.
View Quote

In my opinion a tank bag would be the motorcycle equivalent to a glove compartment in a car/truck. There’s no putting saddle bags on my crotch rocket, so that’s out of the question.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's in a separate container, locked and unloaded, it shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's in a separate container, locked and unloaded, it shouldn't be an issue.
View Quote

Yeah, I agree with you. I guess it would end up coming down to the type of cop.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Some bikes have a small, lockable compartment under the seat or elsewhere.  It might be large enough for a handgun.

One time, I walked to my local range carrying my handgun and ammo in a knapsack, unloaded and locked in its carrying case.  Afterwards, I realized that might be considered concealed carry.

Anyway, yours is an interesting question not directly addressed in the text of any firearms laws I have ever read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top