Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2018 2:04:16 AM EDT
Greetings all,

Just wanted to say hi and ask a few questions, I will be transferring in the next couple of weeks and need advice on a few things.

1. What are the areas to live or avoid? I will be working off I-10 and west 67st and the sammich maker will be working off Rio Salado right by ASU. Would like to limit the commute to no more than 30 min if possible.

Looking for a 2 bedroom apartment without hot and cold running cockroaches and would like to keep the rent less than $1200 if that's realistic. If not what am I looking at for rent.

2. Decent shop for reloading supplies, etc.

3. Suggestions for a range, both indoor and outdoor.  Outdoor would like something longer than 100 yards.

Thanks in advance.

Craig
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I bet you mean 67th Ave/I-10. Traffic sucks worse than ever. One or both of you will have a commute depending where you end up. South Tempe has some nice areas as does Snottsdale. 2 main ranges, Ben Avery and Usery Mtn. I'm sure more guys will chime in soon about where to live and not to live.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet you mean 67th Ave/I-10. Traffic sucks worse than ever. One or both of you will have a commute depending where you end up. South Tempe has some nice areas as does Snottsdale. 2 main ranges, Ben Avery and Usery Mtn. I'm sure more guys will chime in soon about where to live and not to live.
View Quote
Yep, rule of thumb is Avenues are West of Central (0 street address #) and Streets are East. Your work hours play into as well. I drive downtown from Gilbert once a week but since I go in real early the traffic is a non-issue.

North Mesa might work out for you guys, straight shot down the 202/10 for both.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Greetings all,

Just wanted to say hi and ask a few questions, I will be transferring in the next couple of weeks and need advice on a few things.

1. What are the areas to live or avoid? I will be working off I-10 and west 67st and the sammich maker will be working off Rio Salado right by ASU. Would like to limit the commute to no more than 30 min if possible.

Looking for a 2 bedroom apartment without hot and cold running cockroaches and would like to keep the rent less than $1200 if that's realistic. If not what am I looking at for rent.

2. Decent shop for reloading supplies, etc.

3. Suggestions for a range, both indoor and outdoor.  Outdoor would like something longer than 100 yards.

Thanks in advance.

Craig
View Quote
1. Look for around the Biltmore area. That's about as close to being "in the middle" of the two of of the work locations you mentioned. There are a shitload of new apartment/condo complexes, and some nice older ones. I lived there for a couple years, and it has everything you need within about 5 minutes. Grocery stores, restaurants, drycleaners, vehicle dealerships (service).

24th st & Camelback. Don't look west of 51, and don't look south of Indian school.

La Terraza is where I lived. 2bed 3 bath with a 1 car garage for $1300/mo. Nice clean unit and complex. They have other options too in the 990 range.
Via 21 is brand new, and nice.
Aura is new.
Dakota is new and nice

I wouldn't consider Tempe, because it will be full of shitty asu kids.
Stay out of South Phoenix, even if the houses are new/nice, there is a lot of crime.

2. Sportsmans warehouse. There are at least two locations that I know of.

3. Shooters world, Scottsdale gun Club, C2 scottsdale, C2 Tempe are all good indoor ranges. Outdoor, Cowtown, Ben Avery, Usery, Phoenix Rod & Gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

1. Look for around the Biltmore area. That's about as close to being "in the middle" of the two of of the work locations you mentioned. There are a shitload of new apartment/condo complexes, and some nice older ones. I lived there for a couple years, and it has everything you need within about 5 minutes. Grocery stores, restaurants, drycleaners, vehicle dealerships (service).

24th st & Camelback. Don't look west of 51, and don't look south of Indian school.
View Quote
It gets nicer as you go east, too, and better traffic-wise. This is my neighborhood, 32nd street & Indian School. Biltmore/arcadia area.

Close enough to the I-10 and 51 that you can get anywhere reasonably quickly. You will probably be heading against the majority of the traffic during most of your commute, which will save you a lot of time.

I love living in this area.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys,

You are correct it is 67th Ave not street.

I will be working nights and headed in after 630pm till whenever I get done. She will be working 830 to 5.

We have been looking online at places off the 17 between Thunderbird rd and the 101. Thoughts on  that area?

I will be sure and check the locations you all mentioned
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks guys,

I will be working nights and headed in after 630pm till whenever I get done. She will be working 830 to 5.

We have been looking online at places off the 17 between Thunderbird rd and the 101. Thoughts on  that area?

View Quote
that's my AO, I've lived there for about 20 years. it's mostly decent but can have shitty patches in it like anywhere
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks guys,

View Quote
She would hate the commute. She will be commuting at the worst time for traffic. Try to get further South if you can, I17 and Camelback and probably East of 17 should be decent.  https://livestream.com/news   and watch channel 3 in the morning around your commute time and you will see how traffic is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Once 7 pm hits you can use carpool lanes and traffic eases up. Look into making yourself have a longer commute since you're off hours. Possibly somewhere around the 51 and 101 north part.

Desert ridge is a beautiful area (Tatum/101) but may be pricey
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd look at the east valley, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa. I work off 75th ave and the 10, commuting in off hours like you will be and it's a 30 minute drive from Alma School and Pecos in Chandler. The apartment complex I live in has 2 bedroom 1 bath for $1,200. East valley has the best food(Asian Cafe Express, Taqueria mi casita, Joe's Farm Grill, etc), we have the best gun shops (Quentin Defense, CZ Custom shop, Glockmeister, etc.) And....all the cool kids live in the east valley.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:58:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys I will let you know where we end up...heading your way this Sat.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#11]
You may get some heat for reloading in an apartment .
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, I'd be a little concerned about that too. They can just pop in and out whenever there is a "maintenance" issue. You don't want to find yourself on the receiving end of a of a 30 day eviction notice.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Doubtful.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It gets nicer as you go east, too, and better traffic-wise. This is my neighborhood, 32nd street & Indian School. Biltmore/arcadia area.

Close enough to the I-10 and 51 that you can get anywhere reasonably quickly. You will probably be heading against the majority of the traffic during most of your commute, which will save you a lot of time.

I love living in this area.
View Quote
Word. I live around 32nd and Osborne and love this area.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Howdy, neighbor!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top