Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2021 7:12:33 AM EDT
Hello,

I am selling a gun on gunbroker and I recieved a question below:

Attachment Attached File

He said it makes the transfer process easier in Washington, is that true? I am not familiar on all the changes that were made recently to your laws.

The pistol comes with a folding brace and extra magazines , I was going to ship the folding brace and mags seperate regardless of the winner because they don't fit in the case with the gun.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing shady in his request. Sending it in two pieces enables him to have the receiver transferred as just that, a receiver. If the weapon arrives complete, in this case a pistol, he has to wait the mandatory minimum "cooling off period" before he can take possession. The background check and registration are the same. Sending it in two pieces saves him a couple weeks and puts you at no risk.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing shady in his request. Sending it in two pieces enables him to have the receiver transferred as just that, a receiver. If the weapon arrives complete, in this case a pistol, he has to wait the mandatory minimum "cooling off period" before he can take possession. The background check and registration are the same. Sending it in two pieces saves him a couple weeks and puts you at no risk.
View Quote

I appreciate the explanation. I only wanted a further explanation on the rather odd but detailed question. Also a second opinion. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless I am reading his request wrong I would not do it? He is saying the upper receiver is the part considered a firearm? The lower receiver is the part that is considered a firearm, if it has been pinned to a upper at any point it should not be transferred as other. This could be a setup, be careful, discuss the details with your FFL. It sounds to me like he is trolling GB for someone willing to ship the upper to a FFL so he has no background check and send the lower to his house.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Basically the guy wants to pick up his firearm quicker

Save time by the FFL can call FBI NICS for the background check for a receiver (other) instead of doing the background check via the police for semi auto pistol (can take a few days)

Oh note that the firearm part is typically the lower receiver of your firearm.. The serialized part. Be sure to send that part to the FFL.

Another thought is he might be avoiding to fill in the Pistol Transfer Application which is required for pistol transfers. There's no reason to unless they have some records issue that the FBI doesn't have? Doubt it though.

Personally I would send it as a pistol.. You don't know his intentions.. Though if he has a lot of positive feedback on GB, you can decide what you want to do.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unless I am reading his request wrong I would not do it? He is saying the upper receiver is the part considered a firearm? The lower receiver is the part that is considered a firearm, if it has been pinned to a upper at any point it should not be transferred as other. This could be a setup, be careful, discuss the details with your FFL.
View Quote

No different then buying a gun, then later on parting it out and selling the upper and lower separately. Whatever the serialized part is will be transferred as other, even if it was a pistol or rifle before.

I think this is partially the reason why the opinion letters are a bunch of crap, once a rifle always a rifle and pistols can go back and forth. You never truly know what the receiver has been attached to unless shown previous evidence.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unless I am reading his request wrong I would not do it? He is saying the upper receiver is the part considered a firearm? The lower receiver is the part that is considered a firearm, if it has been pinned to a upper at any point it should not be transferred as other. This could be a setup, be careful, discuss the details with your FFL. It sounds to me like he is trolling GB for someone willing to ship the upper to a FFL so he has no background check and send the lower to his house.
View Quote

Not all firearms are ARs. Lots of others have a serialized upper and the lower can be shipped to your house
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not all firearms are ARs. Lots of others have a serialized upper and the lower can be shipped to your house
View Quote

True, it just sounds to me like the guy is trying to convince the OP to send the upper (probably AR to his FFL and send the rest of the items to his house, the lower). I have had similar strange requests when selling on GB. As long as the OP knows which item requires the transfer he should be OK.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
@yamahawarrior89 - Because everyone is curious, what is the make and model of the firearm?

It is becoming a more common request these days since they removed the CPL exemption from the waiting period. Technically, the person still gets a background check done (NICS), just not one that goes through the state.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@yamahawarrior89 - Because everyone is curious, what is the make and model of the firearm?

It is becoming a more common request these days since they removed the CPL exemption from the waiting period. Technically, the person still gets a background check done (NICS), just not one that goes through the state.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Grand Power Stribog SP9A3

The upper is serialized
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The upper is serialized
View Quote

That clears it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top