Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2022 6:28:41 PM EDT
Can anyone who is a CA FFL or very knowledgeable on transfer answer a question for me?

My wife and I are both Arizona residents. My wife would like to gift a firearm to her Grandfather who resides in CA. The firearm is a handgun that is not on the roster.

I believe this is legal to do, I’m sure it has to go through an FFL of course. Does the handgun need to be shipped from AZ to the CA FFL? Is she able to bring it to the FFL in CA for the transfer sometime when she visits? Or am I way off base here and there is no way to do it?

Thanks to anyone who can help, I’m not used to dealing with what a headache California makes this stuff and I don’t want the wife or her grandpa to run afoul of CA gun laws.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Under CA law FTF intrafamilial transfers are legal and the recipient just has to pay a fee and mail in a form (there's an online version as well).  Granddaughter to grandfather should be GTG.  Where the FFL comes into play is due to it being interstate, so it does have to go through an FFL to comply with Federal law.  She can ship it or bring it in to his FFL; I don't believe it matters which she chooses.  Intrafamilial transfers are roster-exempt, so that should be no problem, either.  You should make sure the FFL is someone who knows about this and how to properly do intrafamilial transfers, because not all do.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Under CA law FTF intrafamilial transfers are legal and the recipient just has to pay a fee and mail in a form (there's an online version as well).  Granddaughter to grandfather should be GTG.  Where the FFL comes into play is due to it being interstate, so it does have to go through an FFL to comply with Federal law.  She can ship it or bring it in to his FFL; I don't believe it matters which she chooses.  Intrafamilial transfers are roster-exempt, so that should be no problem, either.  You should make sure the FFL is someone who knows about this and how to properly do intrafamilial transfers, because not all do.
View Quote

Awesome, that’s what I thought from my research but I wanted to double check. I’ll help her call around his area for a knowledgeable FFL who can help them out. He’ll be super excited, this will be a great gift for him. And thank you very much for your reply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top