Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2020 10:34:20 AM EDT
Hey gang.  PA resident here.  My grandfather recently passed away and lived in Michigan. I am inheriting his small cargo trailer and I’m driving out this week to pick up my grandmother and bring her back here hopefully with the trailer in tow. I have an idea of how to do a transfer on my end, but I was wondering what I am going to have to do out there to keep it legal.

From the research I’ve done it looks like I have to go to an SOS office to do a title transfer, but don’t know if we still have to do that since I am out of state and going to register it here. I didn’t know if she could just sign off on the title and I can use that as a temporary or wa from the research I’ve done it looks like I have to go to an SOS office to do a title transfer, but don’t know if we still have to do that since I am out of state and going to register it here. I didn’t know if she could just sign off on the title and I can use that as a temporary.   Any help would be much appreciated .
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
First, find out whether or not your grandmothers name is also on the trailer registration, or if it is just your grandfathers name.

If it is only in your grandfathers name, it will be more difficult.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably only in his name.  She found the title but I didn’t ask.  She said it has non-expiring tags on it, so I was thinking just towing it back here as is and since she’s coming back with us doing the title transfer here when we get a chance.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#3]
You would have to make an appointment to do that at a SoS, so I'd just take Grandma and the trailer with paperwork back home with it and deal with your SoS at your leisure. The trailer plate is still good

Not much difference in driving a MI titled and plated auto during a move.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would have to make an appointment to do that at a SoS, so I'd just take Grandma and the trailer with paperwork back home with it and deal with your SoS at your leisure. The trailer plate is still good

Not much difference in driving a MI titled and plated auto during a move.
View Quote

Yeah, from what I found it seems like that’s the best way.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top