Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2020 2:13:42 PM EDT
What is the best site or ap to track the flyovers today?

Flight Aware?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are they flying over? Is it to get me to forget businesses are failing and our economy is in the tank? Save the kerosene and make my house payment.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s a training mission. DOD won’t be paying your bills
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What is the best site or ap to track the flyovers today?

Flight Aware?
View Quote

They wont show up. Flightaware redacts most of that. Regardless, most military flights do not enable ADS-B (I've been running a flight tracker for ~5 years, and only occasionally catch a tanker or AWACS, never a fighter despite being near a practice bombing range).
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the response. I assumed that was the case but thought for air shows and known flights might be.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NAM:

They wont show up. Flightaware redacts most of that. Regardless, most military flights do not enable ADS-B (I've been running a flight tracker for ~5 years, and only occasionally catch a tanker or AWACS, never a fighter despite being near a practice bombing range). 
View Quote

I have the privilege of getting rocked by the 115th almost everyday (live 6 miles north of MSN).  I run an ads-b antenna and frustrated that I can’t see them.  I can see all other military planes (blackhawks, tankers, cargo), but not them.  They must broadcast something in order for ATC can see them.  Would love to get a heads up whenever they’re about to buzz my house.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

I have the privilege of getting rocked by the 115th almost everyday (live 6 miles north of MSN).  I run an ads-b antenna and frustrated that I can’t see them.  I can see all other military planes (blackhawks, tankers, cargo), but not them.  They must broadcast something in order for ATC can see them.  Would love to get a heads up whenever they’re about to buzz my house.
View Quote

Don't need ADS-B to "see" aircraft, that's what we have radars for. ADS-B helps out though as it provides real-time precision instead of the delay of a radar sweep.

The mobility aircraft fleet has had ADS-B added but the combat aircraft fleet likely never will. The DOD has an ADS-B exemption from the FAA following their 1 Jan 20 ADS-B mandate.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sconnieVLP:

Don't need ADS-B to "see" aircraft, that's what we have radars for. ADS-B helps out though as it provides real-time precision instead of the delay of a radar sweep. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sconnieVLP:
Originally Posted By JimEb:

I run an ads- antenna and frustrated that I can’t see them.  I can see all other military planes (blackhawks, tankers, cargo), but not them.  They must broadcast something in order for ATC can see them.  Would love to get a heads up whenever they’re about to buzz my house.

Don't need ADS-B to "see" aircraft, that's what we have radars for. ADS-B helps out though as it provides real-time precision instead of the delay of a radar sweep. 

Exactly. ADS-B is only one tool in the kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top