Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2022 4:41:13 PM EDT
County commissioner and the chief of police are going to discuss the impact of measure 114.

4-5:30 Ashland Library.

I’ll be there for sure!
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Subscribed. Thank you for attending. Please let us know.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep us posted. I won't be able to drive that far and be in Ashland before it ends.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, @SpeyRod. Keep us posted!
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll report as clear and subjective as I can. I’m a little hot under the collar over this one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
This meeting was fairly well run by the chief and the commissioner. There were @ 40 people in attendance the vast majority of which appeared to be pushing their 80’s. I’m 60 and felt young in the group.

The vast majority of the people in attendance didn’t know the current laws regarding gun purchases. I would guess at least half of the people thought you can buy a gun on the street any time you like. Even when explained to them that the current laws require a background check and thumb prints they didn’t seam to grasp that the new system wasn’t providing any greater security on actual purchases.

There was a lot of discussion about gun “registration” and confusion as to how the chief couldn’t tell the people how many guns there were in Ashland and who had them.

There were some emotional comments about 30 round magazines. Mostly by one woman who couldn’t believe hunters would go out with 30 rounds to kill an animal. I explained that the state limits magazines for hunting to 5 rounds. The follow on questions was why use an ar15 to hunt with. I explained that the platform was an exceptional tool for the job and that I owed it to the game I am hunting to harvest it as efficiently and painlessly as possible.

There were a lot of rabbit holes that the general ignorance of the audience created.

One question I did ask the chief was: If this is not struck down, how long until you expect to get the system in place to allow the issuance of a permit? He mentioned something about doing a manual process but then said it could be a year to a year and a half before a system was in place.

For the most part the meeting was respectful and some of the charge in some of the questions was diffused.

My takeaway from the meeting is that there are a lot of older retired Californians in Ashland who can’t comprehend that there are people out there who actually enjoy and use firearms for lawful purposes.

Edit: I was impressed by the chief when asked by an 80yo woman “What are you doing to protect me?” His response was very appropriate. Basically he said “I can’t protect you, you have to figure out to what level you are willing to go to to protect yourself. Whether that is a better alarm system, pepper spray, batons or a firearm, that is your choice.”
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of that.

As a former Ashland resident, I'm not terribly surprised. I'm in Benton Co. now, and I'm pretty sure the vibes, sentiments (and levels of grotesque ignorance) are about the same.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the update. I'm very surprised I havnt heard a peep from my sheriff. He was one of the first to give the state the middle finger over the china flu crap and we are a 2A Preservation country. About to see if those actually have teeth. Time for the law to work for the people.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Much appreciated, OP
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I will add this: I did ask if this law made my older firearms worthless because there are no 10 round magazines. He said “No, you can still use them at gun clubs and on private property.”

So his interpretation of the law is that our magazines can still be used. This is what came out of a state wide meeting of Oregon police chiefs, OPCA I think is what he called the group.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Well yeah that is what the initiative says.  It just completely guts the whole purpose of having a CHL because they are tying one hand behind your back, you cannot legally use your mags in your carry weapon.

I would suggest everyone help out the state level lawsuit being pushed by Sheriff Lohrey and other Harney County folks.  OR constitution traditionally give MORE rights than the Federal one does, in case decision after case decision.  No reason for this situation to be different.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Edit: I was impressed by the chief when asked by an 80yo woman “What are you doing to protect me?” His response was very appropriate. Basically he said “I can’t protect you, you have to figure out to what level you are willing to go to to protect yourself. Whether that is a better alarm system, pepper spray, batons or a firearm, that is your choice.”
View Quote

The truth really is a breath of fresh air.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top