Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2021 12:52:13 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience buying a dirt bike without a title, but has a clean vin? I have no issue asking a PD to run the vin to make sure it's not stolen, but what about checking for a lien? It wouldn't really matter, but I'd like to attempt to title and register for Street use.  The SOS has a lost title form for things older then 10 years and the bike is a 2009.

My worry is, everything is clean, but the SOS throws a fit because I don't have a title.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe you can apply for a lost title. You will not be able to drive it on the street legally unless you install brake lights, turn signals, a headlamp and possibly a muffler.

I'm not sure, but I think knobby tires are illegal for street use.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I'm good with not being able to ride it on the road for a bit. The SOS is what I'd me worried about, we all know how they work.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience buying a dirt bike without a title, but has a clean vin? I have no issue asking a PD to run the vin to make sure it's not stolen, but what about checking for a lien? It wouldn't really matter, but I'd like to attempt to title and register for Street use.  The SOS has a lost title form for things older then 10 years and the bike is a 2009.

My worry is, everything is clean, but the SOS throws a fit because I don't have a title.
View Quote

Getting a dirtbike or other bike like a grey market streetbike titled for street use involves getting a form from the secretary of state, taking it to the PD or a dealer (if memory serves correct) for a vin inspection and to verify that the street equipment is present. I had to do this for a street bike that wasn't sold in the USA. You might need a bill of sale, I can't remember if the officer ran the VIN or not. I had an out of state title and transferred to Michigan and then got it street legal.

Whatever you do, if they ask why it doesn't have 17 digits in the VIN, do not tell them it's grey market even if it is. I had a valid out of state title and the dumb bitch wrote "grey market vehicle on the title" and sent it to Lansing. That meant it could never be street legal unless I paid an EPA certified shop to prove it met federal emissions or made it so it would. Better to have kept my mouth shut and just let the police officer verify it as it was.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting it street titled, I honestly don't think will be an issue in my town, our PD are pretty decent.

I was mostly worried about going to the SOS with a bill of sale and a TR-205 form and them giving me a hard time about it, despite them literally putting the instructions on their website.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I did it with my ktm.  Was relatively painless, had to buy a surety bond though.  In my case the bike was never titled by the original owner.  I had the certificate of origin.

I got it titled for the street later, small town police chief had no problem signing off on it.  Even passed it with a squeeze bulb horn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top