Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2019 11:12:06 AM EDT
Rode by this morning and the sign was taken down. According to Fascist Book, the owner retired. Last of the old LGS gone. Damn.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Rode by this morning and the sign was taken down. According to Fascist Book, the owner retired. Last of the old LGS gone. Damn.
View Quote
Jack Tilford has been selling out for several weeks. He marked down all of his inventory, some it to half price. He sold the display cases and the wall mountings. He even sold the metal security door from the front of the building.

It is a shame. Jack is a fine man and has been a long time fixture in the Louisville gun store scene. He has not always been treated well. In Sept. of 1989, a disgruntled employee of Standard-Gravure Printing, Joseph Weisbecker, opened fire on his fellow employees. He killed 8 people and wounded a dozen more. Weisbecker used an AK-47 that he had purchased two days earlier from Tilford's Gun Store. Jack had to temporarily close the store because of the outcry against him and his business. A lot of people wanted him closed permanently although everything he had done was perfectly legal and could have happened at any gun store. It took a long time for them to recover, financially and reputation wise. Jack was a long time supporter of KC3 and bought advertising that made it possible for us to publish a quarterly newsletter, years ago. Over the years, I bought several guns from Jack's store, when it was at different locations.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Jack Tilford has been selling out for several weeks. He marked down all of his inventory, some it to half price. He sold the display cases and the wall mountings. He even sold the metal security door from the front of the building.

It is a shame. Jack is a fine man and has been a long time fixture in the Louisville gun store scene. He has not always been treated well. In Sept. of 1989, a disgruntled employee of Standard-Gravure Printing, Joseph Weisbecker, opened fire on his fellow employees. He killed 8 people and wounded a dozen more. Weisbecker used an AK-47 that he had purchased two days earlier from Tilford's Gun Store. Jack had to temporarily close the store because of the outcry against him and his business. A lot of people wanted him closed permanently although everything he had done was perfectly legal and could have happened at any gun store. It took a long time for them to recover, financially and reputation wise. Jack was a long time supporter of KC3 and bought advertising that made it possible for us to publish a quarterly newsletter, years ago. Over the years, I bought several guns from Jack's store, when it was at different locations.
View Quote
I remember George's Gun Shop, Ray's Gun Shop and Archery World. All gone now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
The first rifle I ever owned was bought at The Oakwood in St. Matthews by my father and given to me. At one time The Oakwood was the longest continuously operated gun store in Louisville. I don't recall Archery World. Where was it located? The others I used to prowl about all the time. Anybody remember Ray's wife? Ray did 2 Form 4 transfers for me. George's was a great store.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The first rifle I ever owned was bought at The Oakwood in St. Matthews by my father and given to me. At one time The Oakwood was the longest continuously operated gun store in Louisville. I don't recall Archery World. Where was it located? The others I used to prowl about all the time. Anybody remember Ray's wife? Ray did 2 Form 4 transfers for me. George's was a great store.
View Quote
Archery World was on Preston, on down from DePrez.   Do you remember George's first shop, a few blocks north from his location on Dixie? That was a loooong time ago.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
The first gun I ever bought was from The Oakwood.  Wish that place was still around.

Since an archery store was mentioned in this thread, King's Archery in Fern Creek recently closed as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The first gun I ever bought was from The Oakwood.  Wish that place was still around.

Since an archery store was mentioned in this thread, King's Archery in Fern Creek recently closed as well.
View Quote
Is Gary Roman's shop in Fern Creek still around?
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn shame about Tilford's. He is a decent man.

I am still available to handle your transfers and special orders as a home based FFL.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol Ray's wife did my ccdw class 22 years ago. Ray did my ccdw instructor class over 10 years ago. My first handgun was bought in his second store on Preston before his first divorce.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is Gary Roman's shop in Fern Creek still around?
View Quote
Yep, Gary Roman's shop is still there...

Thinking of it, Jack Tilford's next door neighbor is a co-worker of mine.  She tells me that Jack has been dealing with health issues.  She also tells me that Jack would drive by his store several times at night to check on it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, Gary Roman's shop is still there...

Thinking of it, Jack Tilford's next door neighbor is a co-worker of mine.  She tells me that Jack has been dealing with health issues.  She also tells me that Jack would drive by his store several times at night to check on it.
View Quote
I don't doubt it, after the stolen Corvette went through his shop.  Sorry to hear about his health issues, I do wish him well in his retirement. Time marches on I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Damn shame about Tilford's. He is a decent man.

I am still available to handle your transfers and special orders as a home based FFL.
View Quote
Tag for a buddy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top