Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2022 8:30:37 AM EDT
My favorite hobby is hiking and living in PA means lots of ticks.  So much so that during the warm months I avoid certain trails where there is a very good possibility of picking up ticks.  I never got Lyme disease but have friends that have and it can be very rough.  One guy was in a wheelchair for months and had to learn to walk again.  My wife thinks I'm paranoid, but I think there is good reason.

While in SD, I asked a number of people about the tick situation and got slightly varied answers.  So my question for those to spend a lot of time outdoors, is there a tick problem in the Black Hills area?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep. Just not during winter. Some years are better/worse than others.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes and no, I spend alot of time in the hills and have only had one tick on me in the hills in the last 10 years and I'm very seldom on any sort of trail.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the answers.  It sounds good to me because here it's spray your boots, clothes and skin...and still occasionally pick up one.  As I said, I avoid trails where you brush up against any underbrush or branches.  Tall grass is the kiss of death, too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#4]
I have spent a lot of time hiking in the hills over the last 30 years and found exactly one tick on me years ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys are lucky. I've pulled several off myself. As many as 6 off the dog after 1 outing. Not necessarily embedded but crawling.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chargerkid5:
You guys are lucky. I've pulled several off myself. As many as 6 off the dog after 1 outing. Not necessarily embedded but crawling.
View Quote

Must be my Garlic heavy diet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top