Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2020 11:00:22 AM EDT
I was discussing this with my wife last night. Let's just say that a certain someone is successful in getting "assault weapons" classified as NFA/tax stamp items. For most people, this would just be a serious pain (and expense) as they'd have to register them, pay the tax stamp, get a trust set up, bla, bla, bla.

But what about us here? Aren't all NFA items 100% banned here? Wouldn't that turn us all into overnight felons?

I'm not trying to fear monger here...I'm just curious as to how such a thing would work.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#1]
No clue how it would work ...

But I'm certain my radio will be off the day they make that announcement  ...
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was discussing this with my wife last night. Let's just say that a certain someone is successful in getting "assault weapons" classified as NFA/tax stamp items. For most people, this would just be a serious pain (and expense) as they'd have to register them, pay the tax stamp, get a trust set up, bla, bla, bla.

But what about us here? Aren't all NFA items 100% banned here? Wouldn't that turn us all into overnight felons?

I'm not trying to fear monger here...I'm just curious as to how such a thing would work.
View Quote

I did not think you could have a trust for NFA items, but I could be wrong.

They mentioned at one point wanting to include mags with those registrations too

They previously claimed you would be able to turn them in...or did they maybe call it a buyback, yet they never sold them to you.

I doubt it would be overnight with some sort of grace period, but I would expect lawsuits and more resistance than 1994.   This one probably will not have a sunset clause.

In IL, you can have SBRs.

IANAL

They may know what you had firearm wise from an FFL purchase but 10 years and private sale records are not required to be kept.  

And they need both houses of Congress to approve before signing. Although who knows with an EO and the current leadership in the ATF.

Now if you are talking state ILGA vs Federal, might be a different story...the 2M+ FOID holders need to get involved regardless.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
We are allowed by our overseers SBRs, AOWs and I think DDs.

These are NFA, but not the most fun NFA.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We are allowed by our overseers SBRs, AOWs and I think DDs.

These are NFA, but not the most fun NFA.
View Quote

Yeah...but don't you have to carry a C&R license in order to do that? Its my understanding that without one, you cannot own a SBR.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah...but don't you have to carry a C&R license in order to do that? Its my understanding that without one, you cannot own a SBR.
View Quote

A C&R license ($30 / 3yrs iirc) or member of a reenactment society

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-2

..." (7) A person possessing a rifle with a barrel or  barrels less than 16 inches in length if: (A) the person has been issued a Curios and Relics license from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; or (B) the person is an active member of a bona fide, nationally recognized military re-enacting group and the modification is required and necessary to accurately portray the weapon for historical re-enactment purposes; the re-enactor is in possession of a valid and current re-enacting group membership credential; and the overall length of the weapon as modified is not less than 26 inches"...
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
My response would be no
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not all NFA items are banned in Illinois, SBR's, AOW, and DD's are legal for an individual to own.  (Short Barreled Shotguns may also be legal, I don't recall offhand)

Full auto and suppressors are specifically mentioned in the Illinois Statutes as illegal in the state, that is why they are banned.  

There would be no specific law on the books preventing NFA "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines" so until such time as those were written into Illinois Law as illegal, they would still be legal.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Do you have a link to those IL Statutes handy?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you have a link to those IL Statutes handy?
View Quote

Did not think SBS was legal.

IANAL

There may be other statutes, but look at:

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-1

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-2

Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#10]

????
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone really think the laws are not about to get worse in IL.

Osama bin Biden plans have been in the works for years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
At that point mass non compliance is in order and if necessary force to let them know it isn't gonna work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
IL law doesn't ban NFA items.  IL law specifically bans MGs and supressors.  We always said NFA items are banned here but that was shorthand not strictly true.  

Putting MSRs on the NFA registry wouldn't have any special effect on IL residents unless our betters in Springfield passed an AWB.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#14]
This is a rough quote from Justice Scalia on the Heller Case.

" D.C.’s ban on handgun possession violates the Second Amendment.  (56-64)  The “inherent right of self-defense has been central to the Second Amendment right.  The handgun ban amounts to a prohibition of an entire class of ‘arms’ that is overwhelmingly chosen by American society for that lawful purpose.  The prohibition extends, moreover, to the home, where the need for defense of self, family, and property is most acute.”  (56) The handgun is considered by the American people to be the “quintessential self-defense weapon.”  

Wouldn't the AR15 also be an "overwhelmingly chosen" class of firearms as well?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top