Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 5/29/2018 4:53:14 PM EDT
https://www.cedarrapids.org/events/market-after-dark/scene

My wife is a huge fan of one of the musicians that will be playing on the 25th of August, so we are thinking about making a weekend out of it and driving down from Minneapolis. Is the event open all weekend or just Saturday night? What time do the gates open? What am I in for?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the same issue (American Idol?).

Going to be a madhouse. Crime in CR is ramping up as well. I'm not generally a paranoid person, but I'm doing all I can to avoid this one. The concert at Newbo is in an area being gentrified, but surrounded by shitholes. I'm not saying don't come spend your money in this city (please do) as always, just be alert.

- Parking will be insane.
- Uber is near non-existent in CR and surge rates will be MASSIVE
- 30,000 people come to CR for the event and will be WAY more this year due to 'local' celeb
- Alcohol will be flowing + crowds + limited Uber... you do the math
- That said, Iowa people are (generally) nice

Otherwise you'll have a blast. Let me know if you'd like eatery/hotel suggestions (several in the Newbo area, but might be impossible to get seated). Or if you just want to do some shooting while you're down here
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the same issue (American Idol?).

Going to be a madhouse. Crime in CR is ramping up as well. I'm not generally a paranoid person, but I'm doing all I can to avoid this one. The concert at Newbo is in an area being gentrified, but surrounded by shitholes. I'm not saying don't come spend your money in this city (please do) as always, just be alert.

- 30,000 people come to CR for the event and will be WAY more this year due to 'local' celeb

Otherwise you'll have a blast. Let me know if you'd like eatery/hotel suggestions (several in the Newbo area, but might be impossible to get seated). Or if you just want to do some shooting while you're down here
View Quote
It will be a pretty short trip. We will arrive Saturday around noon, maybe visit a winery in the area. Check into our hotel, head to the festival a little early and hang out until maybe 11pm. Then head back to the hotel and checkout and head home Sunday morning. Yeah, I'm assuming there will be more in attendance than usual so hopefully we can even find parking and get in to see the music. My MN carry permit is good in Iowa last time I checked, so at least I'll have that going for me. Thanks for the info!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
People always think that "crime is going up" even when it isn't: http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/public-safety/violent-crime-in-cedar-rapids-drops-over-five-years-20180120
Correct though in that most of the crime is centered in small areas NE and SW of downtown. The downtown/gentrified areas are generally nice. Having grown up in Minneapolis proper, I don't really consider anywhere around here "high crime", I just know where things happen and be aware. Most violent crime here is intergang with occasional robbery.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Meant for the season, not on a 5-yr basis.

SW side has seen an uptick, but mostly related to trafficing incidents at the Wallymart.

That said, Newbo is great. I assume you're talking about checking out Cedar Ridge. Was just there last weekend. Decent restaurant/bar inside. Do yourself a favor and grab a bottle of whiskey, great stuff.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top