Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Omg dude if anyone near Columbus wants to hike and whatnot I’m down but IDGAF about PT Tests, Ranks, Badges, Skill Identifiers, etc etc etc

I just don’t know anyone wanting to go hike a while.

Anyone down please @ me or IM me

I’ll follow this thread
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yonah will smoke most without a pack. I live within sight of it. It's no joke. I think there is no way to meet the timed ruck there. It's about 2.2 miles from the parking lot to the top and 45 minutes is my average fast time up. Due to the terrain and elevation, it's tough to keep a 3mph pace.  I've done 42 minutes and that was hustling with no stops and I am a fast walker.  Good place to get in shape but not the place to knock out a 6 mile hike. It's literally up hill from the first step, around 1500 feet of gain in the 2 miles.

Dahlonega is to the west of Yonah and the AT is right through the area. The Army Ranger camp has a measured road march and trails through the area.
View Quote
The climb out of tallulah gorge is way worse.  800 feet in about 1/4 mile.  I thought I was going to die.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
@rd451

Cherokee county for me
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted: Speaking of weight.  What the heck are y'all gonna use for weight?  I thought about a sandbag or two, but then decided that would suck.  Thought about a couple of plates from a weight bench, and decided those would suck.  Considering the Ruck Plates from GoRuck.
View Quote
The Goruck plates and packs are awesome.   Quality and insanely durable.    Spend the money on top quality gear, like Goruck.  I've used my Rucker for many years and would recommend it.   They have a new pack called the Speed Rucker which is perfect for what we are going to do.

A cheaper initial alternative to plates is sand in a garbage bag.   That allows you to adjust your weight as you get used to it.   Sand is great if you push it to far and need to ditch weight.  Just dump the sand out and go on.   My neighbor used water bottles but they created a pack that was too bulky for anything than road rucking and he squeaked and swished as he moved.  When I went with him, I always had water. :)  BTW, make sure you carry water.   You'll drink more of it than you think.

As you get to 20lbs of sand, you'll find that you'll run out of room in a pack and it becomes too bottom heavy.   That's when Goruck plates work great.

A better option than a ruck for a newbie is a tac-vest with plates like these from Rogue Fitness https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-weight-vest-plates.  The vest balances the weight on your front and back which is better for your back and balance.   You can go as low as 10lbs with plates.   I run/mostly walk with doubled up plates with a weight of 21lbs, which is my limit for running.

Shoes are another important thing.    Go to a running store to get fitted.   Look at Hoke One One.   Their cushioning is gentle on our bones.

I'd be interested in joining folks north of Atlanta (I'm in E. Cobb).

For a flat ruck course, the paths along the Chattahoochee are flat.

Get there early on Saturday morning and parking isn't too bad (after 1030AM its more difficult).

A suggestion for consideration is Johnson Ferry North for our first outing  https://www.crnra.vip/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Johnson-Ferry-North.pdf.    It's a flat loop with a ton of parking and areas where we could set up chairs and hang out together.    The loop is short, like 1 mile.

That would be ideal for us as we all could go at our own pace and see each other as we get lapped or lap others.  It's short enough that we can try the packs of others on a course to see if we like them.   We could even do races.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Goruck plates and packs are awesome.   Quality and insanely durable.    Spend the money on top quality gear, like Goruck.  I've used my Rucker for many years and would recommend it.   They have a new pack called the Speed Rucker which is perfect for what we are going to do.

A cheaper initial alternative to plates is sand in a garbage bag.   That allows you to adjust your weight as you get used to it.   Sand is great if you push it to far and need to ditch weight.  Just dump the sand out and go on.   My neighbor used water bottles but they created a pack that was too bulky for anything than road rucking and he squeaked and swished as he moved.  When I went with him, I always had water. :)  BTW, make sure you carry water.   You'll drink more of it than you think.

As you get to 20lbs of sand, you'll find that you'll run out of room in a pack and it becomes too bottom heavy.   That's when Goruck plates work great.

A better option than a ruck for a newbie is a tac-vest with plates like these from Rogue Fitness https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-weight-vest-plates.  The vest balances the weight on your front and back which is better for your back and balance.   You can go as low as 10lbs with plates.   I run/mostly walk with doubled up plates with a weight of 21lbs, which is my limit for running.

Shoes are another important thing.    Go to a running store to get fitted.   Look at Hoke One One.   Their cushioning is gentle on our bones.

Get there early on Saturday morning and parking isn't too bad (after 1030AM its more difficult).

A suggestion for consideration is Johnson Ferry North for our first outing  https://www.crnra.vip/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Johnson-Ferry-North.pdf.    It's a flat loop with a ton of parking and areas where we could set up chairs and hang out together.    The loop is short, like 1 mile.

That would be ideal for us as we all could go at our own pace and see each other as we get lapped or lap others.  It's short enough that we can try the packs of others on a course to see if we like them.   We could even do races.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Speaking of weight.  What the heck are y'all gonna use for weight?  I thought about a sandbag or two, but then decided that would suck.  Thought about a couple of plates from a weight bench, and decided those would suck.  Considering the Ruck Plates from GoRuck.

I've considered the GoRuck packs for a while now, but can't help thinking it's a plain backpack that doesn't even have a belt that's getting into good actual pack money. Once you add a belt, you're well over $300 for their cheapest bag. If you are on ExpertVoice you can get some of the Mystery Ranch packs for around the same price or a little more.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've considered the GoRuck packs for a while now, but can't help thinking it's a plain backpack that doesn't even have a belt that's getting into good actual pack money. Once you add a belt, you're well over $300 for their cheapest bag. If you are on ExpertVoice you can get some of the Mystery Ranch packs for around the same price or a little more.
View Quote
there are a ton of good options out there that arent so expensive, i have several packs for different types of hiking trips.

the camelbak BFM has been one of my favorites but after looking at them just now looks like they have been changed significantly and are much more expensive than when i bought mine. i have put more than a few miles on mine with 25-40 pound loads without the pack giving me issues. the link below is the type i have except mine is a solid green color.

Old BFM

one good cheaper option is the marine corps ILBE pack, i think it is an arcyteryx design so maybe it doesnt completely suck USMC ILBE you might be able to find them at some surplus stores but im not really sure.

looks like optics planet has the BFM for $111 the color of the pack seems to dictate the cost lol camelbak BFM

Amazon BFM

also i have spent many years flip flopping on hydration bladders vs bottles for water and ended up with source tactical being my favorite bladder. its very easy to clean and holds water like it is supposed to. the down side to bladders is they can make your pack kind of awkward in some situations and take up some space sometimes i use two because i go through a ton of water. Source tactical bladders
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
there are a ton of good options out there that arent so expensive, i have several packs for different types of hiking trips.

the camelbak BFM has been one of my favorites but after looking at them just now looks like they have been changed significantly and are much more expensive than when i bought mine. i have put more than a few miles on mine with 25-40 pound loads without the pack giving me issues. the link below is the type i have except mine is a solid green color.

Old BFM

one good cheaper option is the marine corps ILBE pack, i think it is an arcyteryx design so maybe it doesnt completely suck USMC ILBE you might be able to find them at some surplus stores but im not really sure.

looks like optics planet has the BFM for $111 the color of the pack seems to dictate the cost lol camelbak BFM

Amazon BFM

also i have spent many years flip flopping on hydration bladders vs bottles for water and ended up with source tactical being my favorite bladder. its very easy to clean and holds water like it is supposed to. the down side to bladders is they can make your pack kind of awkward in some situations and take up some space sometimes i use two because i go through a ton of water. Source tactical bladders
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old BFM

Amazon BFM

My issue with GoRuck isn't the price. It's what you're getting for the price.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have one of these but was never able to get it to fit properly.  I'm 5'6" so I imagine that's at the bottom end (or below) the size person this pack was designed for.  I guess I need to dig it out and give it another try.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]
What about Osprey packs, rather than a .mil-style pack?

They generally have great weight distribution systems and are pretty lightweight.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What about Osprey packs, rather than a .mil-style pack?

They generally have great weight distribution systems and are pretty lightweight.
View Quote
you see a lot of ospreys on the trails, my brother in law and one of his friends both use osprey atmos packs and like them. i know for sure they are capable of being way overloaded and surviving the AT lol
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Sawnee mountain preserve is a decent short hike. I think it's 4 or 5 miles loop up to the Indian seats and back. Its in Cumming/Forsyth county.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Indian Springs State Park has a fairly easy 7 mile there and back trail. Some occasionally steep slopes, but not much rise or fall in overall elevation. It’s pretty close to the center of the state too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Edit Wrong thread
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just a thought but regarding the northern area of the state, the Rangers have a what seems to be a pretty well laid out road march area around camper Frank D Merrill. As far as I've seen it's not on the base as it goes up cooper gap road, down Winding Stair Gap Road and so on. Might be worth scouting, and I'm game for that. I've been running around there for many years so am a little familiar with the area.
View Quote
I live right near there, I'm up and down it all the time on my enduro.

Winding Stair Gap 4WD Road in the Chattahoochee National Forest
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I was over that way this weekend with my son.  We were shooting up on Hawk mountain, went to noontootla to look for a campsite, but ended up camping closer to suches.

I've been riding and fishing, hunting, hiking that area (nimblewill, hightower, Montgomery creek, penitentiary cove) for 44 years.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#17]
There is a really nice trail in Jones county that winds along the river.  Total loop is about 4.25 miles.  I like to do it twice.

About 1.5 miles is a logging road, the rest is trail through the woods.  There are also miles and miles of gravel road in the same area, through a us forest service research center.  Very lightly traveled.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#18]
There are also some pretty good hikes in the WMA’s. I’ve put in some miles without a pack hunting on Ocmulgee and Oaky Woods WMA.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Sweetwater creek has some really nice hikes as well.  Unless something changed in the last couple years there's a bridge at the back of the white trail that crosses over to an extension trail along the river that's outside the park.

Savage gulf in TN is also amazing but you'll have to stage a car at one end since it's mostly through hiking.

Also up north is cloudland canyon
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in Taylor Co and work in Columbus. We can always go to Barrow's and burn some cash after burning some calories and then to Justin's for good eatin'. Jim, the owner is a real patriot. My problem will be timing and legs with 60 plus years on them ;)
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I try and go rucking on the UGA Whitehall Forest regularly.  It's only open during 8-5 Monday - Friday though, and it's University property so you probably don't want to look too military or you'll scare the hippies...

That said, some people use the roads to train for the USFS pack test, so seeing people speed walking with a pack isn't unheard of.

It's rolling hills so a good workout, and roads are gravel so a bit easier on joints.  Close to Athens too, and easy to find.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Columbia County (Augusta area)

I'm interested if there's anything going on reasonably near my AO.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Interested. I'm south of Macon.

Quoted:
There are also some pretty good hikes in the WMA’s. I’ve put in some miles without a pack hunting on Ocmulgee and Oaky Woods WMA.
View Quote
Yep, WMA's are good. Get a USGS topo map and compass and have some fun. A buddy and I did a land nav exercise at Piedmont NWR in Monroe County. 30,000+ acres of piedmont hills and you won't see a soul between deer and turkey season.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I just want to commend you guys on training, bettering yourselves, and getting together.  Keep it up!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess I'm tentatively interested for some of this depending on location and time. I'm in for hikes with gear/exercise/fellowship and whatnot, but the rest sounds like larping and extra steps.

Currently in Macon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Spring baseball about to jump start so timing for some may be limited, but wanted to keep this near the top.  Winter break starting next week, but after am thinking of trying to do something small and local to the Cherokee/Forsyth area to get our feet under us.  Anyone done Sawnee Mtn park?  What does it look like?  My out-of-shape ass won't be carrying a bag or anything to start, but do want to get this rolling.

Another thought could be couple of weeks out, but anyone want to do something on the 29th of Feb?  Leap day would be a good start for the GA BB groups.  Pick a spot, do a hike, go shoot some guns and then have a beer or two.  Could try to do something big and central, or small and scattered....

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Spring baseball about to jump start so timing for some may be limited, but wanted to keep this near the top.  Winter break starting next week, but after am thinking of trying to do something small and local to the Cherokee/Forsyth area to get our feet under us.  Anyone done Sawnee Mtn park?  What does it look like?  My out-of-shape ass won't be carrying a bag or anything to start, but do want to get this rolling.

Another thought could be couple of weeks out, but anyone want to do something on the 29th of Feb?  Leap day would be a good start for the GA BB groups.  Pick a spot, do a hike, go shoot some guns and then have a beer or two.  Could try to do something big and central, or small and scattered....

Thoughts?
View Quote
I'm open for either a small local get-together or a larger one on that date.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok, so unless someone comes up with a better suggestion,  Here it is.  Saturday, Feb 29th, leap day.  Meet at 0700, head out at 0730.  My not fat (but out of shape ass) will not be wearing a pack.  We’ll hike a bit, be winded, sit on tailgates and socialize.  I MIGHT have beer.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok, so unless someone comes up with a better suggestion,  Here it is.  Saturday, Feb 29th, leap day.  Meet at 0700, head out at 0730.  My not fat (but out of shape ass) will not be wearing a pack.  We’ll hike a bit, be winded, sit on tailgates and socialize.  I MIGHT have beer.....
View Quote
I'll be there
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cola Warrior Southeast preruns are that weekend, so I'm out. Maybe I'll catch up with the next one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'll be there
View Quote
Outstanding.  Don’t expect much, I’m outta shape, and heading on a cruise on Sat, so I’ll be fatter and more pickled, but I’m looking forward to this!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#34]
We’ve starting doing monthly hikes. Last month it was Indian Springs. I’ve also done Dausett Trails. Both of them are over 6 miles. We’re going to do Selma Irwin today. It’s only 4.9 miles though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm shooting a 3Gun match on the 29th, so I'm out unless the match gets cancelled.

Quoted:
Cola Warrior Southeast preruns are that weekend, so I'm out. Maybe I'll catch up with the next one.
View Quote
Preruns?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm shooting a 3Gun match on the 29th, so I'm out unless the match gets cancelled.

Preruns?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Preruns?
Organizers and helpers generally run the weekend before so that they can keep things flowing smoothly during the event.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Selma Irwin was pretty fun. I carried my 3 year old daughter in our Kelty pack with some water, so about 40lbs. All Trails said it was 4.9 miles, but we logged 6.1 and even cut some corners.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can do the 29th

For packs i have an ilbe but my normal backpacking setup is HPG, i have a ute and some other stuff.

Eta i might not be able to socialize too terribly much, i have a prior commitment that evening. I guess i should ask about timing, but i dont expect that trail would take all that long
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:22:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I thought I had replied to this thread a while back, but I see that it never posted. Sorry for the delay.

I don't do any hiking stuff so I can't recommend any trails, but I can tell you that there is a LOT of public land out this way near the range. Areas that come to mind that are within a half hour or so from the range are B.F. Grant and Redlands WMAs, Hard Labor Creek State Park, Rock Eagle 4-H Center, and the Oconee National Forest. I'll leave it up to y'all to figure out where to find the trails, but if you want to come over to the range to shoot afterward, you'd be more than welcome to!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Selma Irwin was pretty fun. I carried my 3 year old daughter in our Kelty pack with some water, so about 40lbs. All Trails said it was 4.9 miles, but we logged 6.1 and even cut some corners. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/5974C383-3848-4DFF-A6B2-0110A198E390-1277437.png
View Quote
Ytka, what is this app?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Can girls joining on the 29th? My wife is interested in coming with me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ytka, what is this app?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Selma Irwin was pretty fun. I carried my 3 year old daughter in our Kelty pack with some water, so about 40lbs. All Trails said it was 4.9 miles, but we logged 6.1 and even cut some corners. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/5974C383-3848-4DFF-A6B2-0110A198E390-1277437.png
Ytka, what is this app?
AllTrails
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I used to hike Sawnee a bunch. But they don't allow dogs any more, and if I'm going hiking, she's going with me. I'll try to make this to meet some of ya'll. I think getting together for hikes is great idea.

We used to do some climbing up at Indian Seats. I think you need a permit now.

Speaking of, anyone here climb at Stone Summit at 85/285? I'm up for climbing almost anytime if someone climbs or is interested in learning.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Can girls joining on the 29th? My wife is interested in coming with me.
View Quote
For sure.  Working on my wife to come.  Pretty sure my 15yo son will be there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#45]
29th still happening?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
29th still happening?
View Quote
I'm still planning on being there.  Wife said it might snow tonight, but I still plan on going.  Never hiked before, and never been on that trail so not sure what snow/rain would do to it, but guess we'll see in the morning
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Put me in West Cobb as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm still planning on being there.  Wife said it might snow tonight, but I still plan on going.  Never hiked before, and never been on that trail so not sure what snow/rain would do to it, but guess we'll see in the morning
View Quote
Snow shouldn't make much difference. It's a pretty gradual grade up and through.the woods until you near the top.

I'm gonna be on call so to say. Wife and I have a grandbaby footy.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#49]
At the visitor center
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
At the visitor center
View Quote
Stepping off.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top