Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/22/2020 4:38:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I can’t organize, but am damn sure interested, and will help as much as possible.  I’m in Cherokee.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm working 80 hour weeks right now so organizing isn't in the cards for me, but I'd be a willing participant.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Same as you guys. I’m still active so I can’t organize but if I had enough time in advance I could meet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d be interested if one was started. On SE coast but like everyone else don’t really have the time to organize
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d be interested if one was started. On SE coast but like everyone else don’t really have the time to organize
View Quote
Same here, but if it ends up a NGa thing like most everything else then it may not be doable for me on the regular
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Im very interested. I work a crazy rotating schedule so I couldn't make it to all if the meet ups but I'll dang sure get to all that I can.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I am game.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m very interested

Eta i already am averaging 40 miles a month hauling a weighted pack up and down kennesaw mountain. So there’s that.

Eta 2 i may not be a wonderful shot but I try
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice. I've done Kennesaw Mountain a few times with nothing and it was pretty challenging to get up it fast. My great-grandfather used to live right down the road from there.
View Quote
Nice. Yeah it gets steep in parts.  I go from the burnt hickory parking lot to the visitor center and back, thats my usual route.

Nice views up there sometimes
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My knowledge of hiking and training sites throughout the state is pretty slim, with most of my previous stuff having been focused within about an hour or two of Albany. I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions on places we could get out to in gear/armed without raising too much of a fuss.
View Quote
We should talk to arena training facility in blakely, though i know they are usually very busy with mil/leo/competition

Im going down there this sunday for an open ukd range day btw

https://www.arenatrainingfacility.com/
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve done a few 7 milers in Pine mountain GA.

The trail is 22 miles in total.

Pine mountain trail.

There is a “Free” WMA range in Lumpkin GA

175 meter rifle and 35 meter pistol

Just some ideas.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pine Mountain’s great. I’ve seen guys from Ft Benning training in gear there before. That Hanahatchee(sp) range is pretty decent too.
View Quote
It’s not bad. Part of me would be open to a hike. I’d rather hike than shoot really.

Not committing to anything but interested if stars align.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm interested in anything that comes to the northeast GA mountains. I have a bit of knowledge of some areas to knock out the hike and a few spots to shoot too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Georgia Battle Buddies is a great idea! My wife and I went to the ARFCOM dinner in in Richmond last Sunday and got to meet a bunch of folks from Virginia Battle Buddies. I was very impressed with their organization and discipline.

I'm located in Pickens County in N Georgia.  I don't think I'll be lugging a 45 lb pack but definitely interested in meeting up and hiking with y'all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#21]
@Emu,  are there any good hiking areas near Madison?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm down for this. I'm in Gwinnett but don't mind driving anywhere in Georgia to make a hike/shoot. Finished undergrad in December and I'm taking the next year off before grad school so I have plenty of time. I run ultramarathons and have hit a lot of the trails and state parks for training. Depending on the location, I know most of us are spread out, I can recon whatever trail system we decide on and run either Garmin or Strava to confirm distance/elevation gain.

I know most of you are busy with jobs, and since I'm not I can take the lead with scheduling/communicating or help out however I can. Just drop me an email for personal contact info so we can get the ball rolling on this.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm interested as well.  I'm not in great shape right now, but I'd like to get to the point I can do a 5k Run and Gun at some point this year; this looks like a great way to work towards that goal and meet some folks at the same time!

I live in Tucker, right at the edge of Dekalb and Gwinnett.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Im in the west GA area near me the only thing that's even a slight challenge is the five mile loop at sweetwater creek state park. i have done that one a good bit but my seven year old can do the five mile loop so like i said its not that challenging.

All of the good stuff is in north GA, the AT is a good choice and will put a hurt on with all the up and down but it has the mileage for sure.

im in good shape need to work on my firearm skills more than anything but i will never turn down a good hike.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Northwest GA checking in. Murray/Gilmer county area.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm in Athens and an interested.

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice. Yeah it gets steep in parts.  I go from the burnt hickory parking lot to the visitor center and back, thats my usual route.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/385216/B6DF8974-2865-4ACC-A6B1-F4E19C6CBB26_jpe-1246430.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. I've done Kennesaw Mountain a few times with nothing and it was pretty challenging to get up it fast. My great-grandfather used to live right down the road from there.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/385216/B6DF8974-2865-4ACC-A6B1-F4E19C6CBB26_jpe-1246430.JPG
Nice photo. Although not visible, my house is in that shot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#28]
My work schedule is difficult to predict but I’m interested.  I’m located in West Cobb.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Interested as well. My work schedule is kind of crazy and I have a newborn at home so I'll be limited to when/where I can meet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I am also interested. I'm in South Cobb/ Smyrna. I'll be watching this thread.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I've compiled a list of members who have responded here, and mapped our tentative locations on the map. Those that gave locations are mostly in the Northern half of the state, those of you that haven't can dm me privately so I can mark where you are if you want to keep it private. Putting it on the map makes it easier to visualize where we are so we can plan easier. Giving the county name seems the best route, as it's big enough for scheduling but not so small that we accidentally dox ourselves.

I'm assuming we are all aiming for the hike as a first social gathering/intro before getting into further qualifications or shoots. Tentative locations, based on where we are, seem to be somewhere North of Atlanta. Red Top Mountain has a decent trail system of differing lengths. Fort Yargo is my preferred training ground, but it's a bit far from some of you.

As for shooting, I've only been to Wilson Shoals WMA as I don't know any one with private land. Some of you might, I know Emu has land to shoot on and might reach out to him to see if his land is suitable for hiking as maybe a hike/shoot day. I also got approved off the waitlist for Strategic Edge range in Tennessee, if anyone is interested in a range day once I become a member. It's a bit of a drive but not too bad considering the range.

binga - cherokee
palmetto_gunplay - SE coast
Joker581 - SW GA
HS2 - Pickens County, N GA
rd451 - Gwinnett
corruptor - Tucker
KJCA3 - West GA
JSB2k10 - Murray/Gilmer County
edman99 - Athens
Cracker-MF - Cobb
radpaddler - South Cobb/ Smyrna
Marktaylor99 - Columbus
XeroSasEnchros - Fort Benning
Ytka - Twiggs County
Knothead71 - Columbia County
Matellis2 - Monroe County
DEDX - Cherokee County

BOPHack - interested, unknown
CropDusterC6 - interested, unknown
Whiskerz - interested, unknown
_hacker_ - interested, unknown
Discolite - interested, unknown
Kletzenklueffer - interested, unknown
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/A-Call-to-all-American-Battle-Buddies-ABB-Updated-Challenge-in-OP-/5-2271929/

Here's a set of official standards for classification/qualification that the ABB guys have established. They are challenging but achievable. As far as I know, nobody that comes out to hike is required to meet any of these standards at any time(though you have to meet them for the qualification/classification). If the qualification stuff doesn't appeal to you, come on out anyway.

It'll probably take me some time to work out a plan for anything outside the Southwest part of the state, but if any of you guys are around Albany or want to come down this way, I'll be doing at least a couple of hikes a week here. In the meantime, please let me know if y'all plan anything as I'd like to attend if I can.
View Quote
I’m in Columbus and would love to join you, time permitting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#34]
@rd451 Im at FT Benning.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm interested in participating for sure and suspect the wife would be too. I'm in Twiggs Co.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Cool. I make it over to Columbus pretty regularly. I’m actually standing in the Ft Benning main PX right now.
View Quote
Shit that would be easy. I avoid Albany and C-town is super easy for me these days.

Caveat. Im more into hiking though.
But nothing crazy like a Macress or whatnot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm interested in participating for sure and suspect the wife would be too. I'm in Twiggs Co.
View Quote
Indeed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Huh, I always thought you guys were down near Perry for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We lived in Marshallville for 10 years. This is our 3rd year in Twiggs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Just a thought but regarding the northern area of the state, the Rangers have a what seems to be a pretty well laid out road march area around camper Frank D Merrill. As far as I've seen it's not on the base as it goes up cooper gap road, down winding stair gap road and so on. Might be worth scouting, and I'm game for that. I've been running around there for many years so am a little familiar with the area.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#43]
@rd451
I'm in Columbia county.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd be in too.

I'm in Monroe County.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That’s up around Helen and Dahlonega, right? I’ve done trails on Mt Yonah and at Unicoi and both are great.
View Quote
Yonah will smoke most without a pack. I live within sight of it. It's no joke. I think there is no way to meet the timed ruck there. It's about 2.2 miles from the parking lot to the top and 45 minutes is my average fast time up. Due to the terrain and elevation, it's tough to keep a 3mph pace.  I've done 42 minutes and that was hustling with no stops and I am a fast walker.  Good place to get in shape but not the place to knock out a 6 mile hike. It's literally up hill from the first step, around 1500 feet of gain in the 2 miles.

Dahlonega is to the west of Yonah and the AT is right through the area. The Army Ranger camp has a measured road march and trails through the area.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link to my Tactical Gear thread.  To-date, I have been on 1 hike, and since it wasn't much of a walk (parking area up to OP in Montezuma Pass in Sierra Vista), I don't have much in the way of gear.  I'm ok with a dedicated pack to hump the necessary weight in, different from what I am looking to for my "stuff".  The "stuff" will be a bit of a range bag, updated BOB/FO-bag/etc, that I am in process of upgrading.

Speaking of weight.  What the heck are y'all gonna use for weight?  I thought about a sandbag or two, but then decided that would suck.  Thought about a couple of plates from a weight bench, and decided those would suck.  Considering the Ruck Plates from GoRuck.

NOW, all that said, my fat ass needs to get in shape, so will probably not carry shit for the first go round, although I have been hitting the treadmill a bit more and have cut out a lot of shitty foods, so depending on when we can get some of these going, I may be ready.  We're going on vacation in 3 weeks and I was supposed to drop 15lbs before then, but I think I've only dropped 3 (beer and bourbon are necessary I tell my wife).

Thanks much!
b
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I read the various posts they put out with stipulations for the hikes, but I didn't see anything about an elevation gain requirement. So it makes sense for the first hike to be relatively flat, especially for those that aren't used to hiking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top