Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2019 4:25:13 PM EDT
My family is visiting AK for the first time. I am thinking about taking them to Denali Park, using the Train. First of all, I did my own research.
If I do go, I'd like to stay for about 2 days, one day using the guided tour. Then may be find a shuttle to be dropped off at a hiking trail for the other day.
Is there anything else do to there? I heard about Water rafting and that is out of option at this time.

Another question is, carrying. Should I bring it with me?
I know on Train I have to keep the firearm in the locked container and disabled to be used.
I also do know the guided tour I won't need. And the shuttle seems to be similar as the Train.
Then what about once I am on a trail? Would you recommend to carry? It seems to be too hectic to even take my carry pistol there.

Also just asking another random question to prevent another post by me: Do you guys carry to a short trail, let's say Thunderbird Falls? What do you guys usually do when you go on trails?
I use chest holster.

Thank you for your opinions! Also you can recommend any other spots within 3-4 hours of driving from Anchorage that I could take my family to.
Thank you!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Seward would be a good day trip drive, they have a Sea-life center, easy hike to a glacier, you can book a Fjord cruse those are nice, along the way you can swing into Whittier and Hope
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thunderbird Falls.  Never know when you'll run into some trouble with either animals or people.  Sad deal.

We like the trip over Hatcher Pass, out of Wasilla.  Nice country and great views if in good weather.  It can get to be a lot of cars and trucks on a narrow dirt road at times.

{Secret Spot...don't tell anyone!} I love the Nancy Lakes Canoe Trails.  I always did the loop while on vacation; haven't had time the last couple of years.  I stopped by last year to see if the canoe rental place was open.  The canoes were still there but the office was closed, as in boarded up.  I don't know it's status. I tried to peek in there a couple of weeks ago, but the sign said all the campgrounds were still closed so turned around at the gate.  If you can't get water craft you're pretty limited on foot to almost no hiking that I know of; hike to Red Shirt Lake is nice, but nothing special.  There are several cabins within the area to spend the night.  We will be floating our canoe on the trail this year! It would be nice if we could rent a canoe and take our out of state family on at least part of the trail.

Talkeetna is a nice tourist town.  Mahays run jet riverboats out of there.  My Aunt was up last year and we took one of the mild rides.  It was fun and something different.  I think the canyon trip would be great if everyone is fit enough.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seward would be a good day trip drive, they have a Sea-life center, easy hike to a glacier, you can book a Fjord cruse those are nice, along the way you can swing into Whittier and Hope
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thunderbird Falls.  Never know when you'll run into some trouble with either animals or people.  Sad deal.

We like the trip over Hatcher Pass, out of Wasilla.  Nice country and great views if in good weather.  It can get to be a lot of cars and trucks on a narrow dirt road at times.

{Secret Spot...don't tell anyone!} I love the Nancy Lakes Canoe Trails.  I always did the loop while on vacation; haven't had time the last couple of years.  I stopped by last year to see if the canoe rental place was open.  The canoes were still there but the office was closed, as in boarded up.  I don't know it's status. I tried to peek in there a couple of weeks ago, but the sign said all the campgrounds were still closed so turned around at the gate.  If you can't get water craft you're pretty limited on foot to almost no hiking that I know of; hike to Red Shirt Lake is nice, but nothing special.  There are several cabins within the area to spend the night.  We will be floating our canoe on the trail this year! It would be nice if we could rent a canoe and take our out of state family on at least part of the trail.

Talkeetna is a nice tourist town.  Mahays run jet riverboats out of there.  My Aunt was up last year and we took one of the mild rides.  It was fun and something different.  I think the canyon trip would be great if everyone is fit enough.
Thank you so much for giving me some ideas! I will look into the areas. =D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top