Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2021 9:06:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Read on Google reviews of one hotel we were considering (NOT in Canal Park) that their car was stolen, and police said it is NORMAL from that hotel's parking lot .

So we are at Canal Park ONLY ($350/night for the room we need) or plan a mini vacation somewhere else.

Will be going with my wife and 3 kids from 14 to 2 years old, and our 7 year old is severely mentally disabled.
View Quote

Canal park is pricey but within walking distance of a lot of stuff to do. You only live once and your kids are only young once. Besides with 3 kids FJB is paying you $900?? monthly till the end of the year. It's the kids money treat them IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure which hotel is typical for having a car stolen here.  For down in Canal Park you'll be fine.  My in-laws have stayed at LA Quinta on Maple Grove without any issues.  Theres definitely some trash here but like every other place, don't stay in the problem areas and you'll minimize issues.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have a truck or good size suv, rent a rv trailer and camp or tent it. Was just up there couple weeks ago. Stayed in two harbors though. Took a ride to grand marais.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are the bad areas?

Our trip was centered around Canal Park and the aquarium, but the hotels there are stupid money. Maybe we are better off paying that?
View Quote

Don't stay at the hotels at 40th Ave W or the Radison and Holiday right downtown.  Ive stayed at the Holiday and Super 8 before with no issues but you get a few more street crawlers around those areas.  

There's some great food and beer in Lincoln Park area, OMC Smokehouse, Bent Paddle, etc.  All pretty much in the same area.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#7]
My son just graduated from UMD and we've stayed at the Comfort Inn West many times.  No problems there.  You are maybe 5-10minutes from Canal Park.  My son claims the "bad" part of town is the residential area on the North side of I35 just at the bottom of "the big hill" coming into town from the south.  Just like anywhere, be smart, watch the demographics of the area, and don't put yourself in unnecessary danger areas.  With the kids the age you have, I don't think you'll be out late, so you probably won't need to worry about that.  You'll be fine during the day in the tourist areas of Canal Park/Aquarium.  If your kids are into trains, don't forget about the train museum.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My son just graduated from UMD and we've stayed at the Comfort Inn West many times.  No problems there.  You are maybe 5-10minutes from Canal Park.  My son claims the "bad" part of town is the residential area on the North side of I35 just at the bottom of "the big hill" coming into town from the south.  Just like anywhere, be smart, watch the demographics of the area, and don't put yourself in unnecessary danger areas.  With the kids the age you have, I don't think you'll be out late, so you probably won't need to worry about that.  You'll be fine during the day in the tourist areas of Canal Park/Aquarium.  If your kids are into trains, don't forget about the train museum.
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I would check out two harbors. We often go to Duluth but stay at Larsmont cottages. Right on the water they have a Pool and trails for hiking.

I believe there is a train that goes from the resort to Duluth. We are mostly there during the winter but love it just the same.

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I always stay at the Holiday Inn. it's connected to the skyway (can even take it to the DECC). It's a 5 min walk to canal park and they have their own ramp. I go to Duluth like once a month, day trip usually but ever few months I get a room up there. I haven't seen anything shady down there. It's always full of tourists, people everywhere. BTW Canal Park Brewery is awesome lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top