Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2018 5:19:19 PM EDT
So I was born and raised in Colorado and I'm now in my 40's. Colorado is quickly turning into California and I can no longer live here with what is happening. I'm a HUGE gun guy and shoot all the time and instruct NRA classes. My wife is a surgical nurse at one of the best hospitals in the country(she has serious skills). We want to down size and get a smaller house but add a shop building and 2 to 10 acres so we can shoot on our land and enjoy some out door projects. We would need to be near a hospital so she could get a surgical nursing job. We will have about $50-75K for a down payment and dont want to spend more then $250,000 including our down payment to keep our mortgage as low as possible. With that budget, could we buy land outside of a town/city and build to our specs? We have not moved in many, many years and dont know where to start. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Sioux Falls area has lots of opportunity within 30 minutes of town. Sioux Falls has a large network of health care and is their main economy, your wife will fit right in.

250k is a little light for 10 acres near town. And the terrain is rather flat, so that limits shooting unless you build a berm or find a place with some hills.

Rapid City would be a good choice, but job opportunities aren't as great as Sioux Falls. But I imagine you'd like the terrain much better as the Black Hills surrounds it.

I would recommend Mitchell, Chamberlain or Yankton, towns of 15k or so and have hospitals. Perhaps you could find more affordable housing around these places. The James River and/or Missouri River goes by these towns with hills and great hunting and sparse population.

Depends on your preference. I would never live in Sioux Falls again, it's becoming a liberal shit hole just big enough to afford some anonymity which has led to a decent increase in crime over the past decade. But living in one of the several small towns surrounding it and commuting wouldn't be bad. Just beware of commute times - in the winter road conditions they can be brutal especially if your wife is on call for her job duties.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sioux Falls area has lots of opportunity within 30 minutes of town. Sioux Falls has a large network of health care and is their main economy, your wife will fit right in.

250k is a little light for 10 acres near town. And the terrain is rather flat, so that limits shooting unless you build a berm or find a place with some hills.

Rapid City would be a good choice, but job opportunities aren't as great as Sioux Falls. But I imagine you'd like the terrain much better as the Black Hills surrounds it.

I would recommend Mitchell, Chamberlain or Yankton, towns of 15k or so and have hospitals. Perhaps you could find more affordable housing around these places. The James River and/or Missouri River goes by these towns with hills and great hunting and sparse population.

Depends on your preference. I would never live in Sioux Falls again, it's becoming a liberal shit hole just big enough to afford some anonymity which has led to a decent increase in crime over the past decade. But living in one of the several small towns surrounding it and commuting wouldn't be bad. Just beware of commute times - in the winter road conditions they can be brutal especially if your wife is on call for her job duties.
View Quote
Thank you for the info!SO if Sioux Falls is liberal, I'll have to stay away! So overall how gun friendly is South Dakota? I hear it is one of the best states for gun rights.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]
No problems with gun rights. The governor shot down a constitutional carry law so you'll have to continue to pay $10 every 4 years for a concealed carry permit which is basically just a background check. Other than that, you're basically free to own whatever you want, I'm not aware of any state law that is more restrictive than federal.
As you get settled into your community, you'll quickly find other enthusiasts. Lot of the farmers have FFL's and do machining and stuff while not farming - and have much more reasonable prices than big box stores. Small towns still do trap shooting and tournaments down by the town ball diamonds. Lot of people into pheasant, prairie dog, deer and coyote hunting. Lot of people into 1000 yard shooting. It's pretty cool living here.
Sioux Falls is still overall a conservative city, but it's starting to turn. Next decade or so I'm sure it'll turn the state blue. It was very close this last governor election. We have Lutheran Social Services bringing in refugees, and Sioux Falls keeps getting voted "Best city" in different categories which really attracts a lot of people who don't align with classical SD values. I moved an hour away several years ago and couldn't be happier. There's never a dull moment out here, keeping busy in my off time mostly with gun stuff and outdoors.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
The part in red is true with the exception of the medical field. It pays well and is in great demand here. The downside of what you want is that land is a bit more money out here due to the "scenery". There are some restrictions on where you can shoot and how close to your neighbors just be aware of that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The part in red is true with the exception of the medical field. It pays well and is in great demand here. The downside of what you want is that land is a bit more money out here due to the "scenery". There are some restrictions on where you can shoot and how close to your neighbors just be aware of that.
View Quote
What about 2 to 5 acres about 5-10 miles outside of Rapid City? I can’t seem to find much that is stand alone with out covenants. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong areas or need to use a realtor?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What about 2 to 5 acres about 5-10 miles outside of Rapid City? I can’t seem to find much that is stand alone with out covenants. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong areas or need to use a realtor?
View Quote
Rapid City and Sioux Falls are 6 hours and a world apart. Everyone wants a small acreage outside of Rapid they can shoot on. Gonna be expensive.

Sioux Falls has big hospitals and a city. If you want that is up to you. Small town/city living in eastern South Dakota is not for everyone. Some love it. Some hate it.

Hot Springs has a VA, but they were going to close it a few years ago. RN can be tough to get hired.

We enjoy Sioux Falls but will probably move west when the kids are grown.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:59:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Rapid City and Sioux Falls are 6 hours and a world apart. Everyone wants a small acreage outside of Rapid they can shoot on. Gonna be expensive.

Sioux Falls has big hospitals and a city. If you want that is up to you. Small town/city living in eastern South Dakota is not for everyone. Some love it. Some hate it.

Hot Springs has a VA, but they were going to close it a few years ago. RN can be tough to get hired.

We enjoy Sioux Falls but will probably move west when the kids are grown.
View Quote
Do you know of any realtors that are pro 2-A in SD? Maybe I could talk to one and see if my "wants" are realistic with my budget. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you know of any realtors that are pro 2-A in SD? Maybe I could talk to one and see if my "wants" are realistic with my budget. Thanks!
View Quote
The first post is pretty clear on what's happening. 250k is light for the Sioux Falls area for sure. Same for the Black Hills. Not impossible though. Property goes on and off the market in a flash. You pretty much need to be financed and ready to buy or it's kind of pointless.

I consider realtors slightly less distasteful than attorneys so no, I don't know any. You will just have to start looking. SD property, especially what you desire, is in demand.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]
@SkagSig40, I have a realtor for you if you need one. Good friend of mine and a real chill dude. I tried to IM you but your IM box is full.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@SkagSig40, I have a realtor for you if you need one. Good friend of mine and a real chill dude. I tried to IM you but your IM box is full.
View Quote
Thank you! I'll clear out my in box, sorry man! Try again.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The first post is pretty clear on what's happening. 250k is light for the Sioux Falls area for sure. Same for the Black Hills. Not impossible though. Property goes on and off the market in a flash. You pretty much need to be financed and ready to buy or it's kind of pointless.

I consider realtors slightly less distasteful than attorneys so no, I don't know any. You will just have to start looking. SD property, especially what you desire, is in demand.
View Quote
Appreciate the info! Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]
It still says your box is full.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:12:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It still says your box is full.
View Quote
WTF??? Wondering what the problem is...
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I found out what happened to my inbox. My team membership expired so I have 125 messages over my 25 limit...LOL

Can you email me at [email protected]? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#15]
We looked for a year before finally buying some land and building a house. We got our land because the realtor called us as we were driving there. We bought the land with cash. One hour later the neighbor behind us put in an offer. So yeah, be ready to jump when you see what you want.

We made a lot of trips up there, looking at different areas to figure out where we wanted to be. That helped so when we went back home to CO we knew what areas to watch on realtor.com. It also helped us see what our money could buy. I thought housing and land would be cheap and I was really wrong.

Long way of saying do your homework. On the west side of the state land is expensive near any of the cities. Watch the realty web sites and plug in what your looking for to get an idea of what your money can buy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We looked for a year before finally buying some land and building a house. We got our land because the realtor called us as we were driving there. We bought the land with cash. One hour later the neighbor behind us put in an offer. So yeah, be ready to jump when you see what you want.

We made a lot of trips up there, looking at different areas to figure out where we wanted to be. That helped so when we went back home to CO we knew what areas to watch on realtor.com. It also helped us see what our money could buy. I thought housing and land would be cheap and I was really wrong.

Long way of saying do your homework. On the west side of the state land is expensive near any of the cities. Watch the realty web sites and plug in what your looking for to get an idea of what your money can buy.
View Quote
This is spot on. I own a couple of sections right next to Rapid City and its staggering what it's current value is.

ETA: I hear you were in touch with the realtor I recommended. He will take care of you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is spot on. I own a couple of sections right next to Rapid City and its staggering what it's current value is.

ETA: I hear you were in touch with the realtor I recommended. He will take care of you.
View Quote
Yes I did contact him and he answered a bunch of questions for me! Thanks again for the help!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#18]
You are welcome.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#19]
For cost of living vs job opportunities medically, Aberdeen, Watertown, & Pierre would be worth looking at if your not interested in Sioux Falls.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:56:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For cost of living vs job opportunities medically, Aberdeen, Watertown, & Pierre would be worth looking at if your not interested in Sioux Falls.
View Quote
Appreciate it very much! I'll check those out!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why don't you just tell the poor guy to live in the ass end of Hell while he is at it?  LOL  
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why don't you just tell the poor guy to live in the ass end of Hell while he is at it?  LOL  
View Quote
I thought the same thing except for Pierre. I really like Oahe and the Badlands are only a couple hours away. I could dance to that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Pierre is liking living back in the 70's to me. Everything seems behind. The Hills are the place to live. Best looking area in the state and only an hour from the Badlands.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pierre is liking living back in the 70's to me. Everything seems behind. The Hills are the place to live. Best looking area in the state and only an hour from the Badlands.
View Quote
The Hills are definitely the best place to live as far as view/country, hiking, hunting, etc. Pierre would be a great place if you're a river rat (fishing, boating, etc.)
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mmmmmmm....... Tourists and 500,000 stinking bikers.

We really like Sturgis. In April. And the southern Black Hills are amazing. In September.

That whole space in between is a little overwhelming for me.

"Welcome to South Dakota. Don't forget to set your clocks back 20 years."-Pierre
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We really like Sturgis. In April. And the southern Black Hills are amazing. In September.

"Welcome to South Dakota. Don't forget to set your clocks back 20 years."-Pierre
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife and I ride....alot. So 500,000 bikers is ok with me. But we don't stink.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#27]
You're getting old enough, I wouldn't bother with anything east river.  The pretty, enjoyable side starts around Kadoka and ends at the Wyoming border.  If I was in my 40s and moving back to SD, I'd be looking around Spearfish or Bell Fouche to settle and enjoy the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Rapid is great.. but the hospital is a wreck.
Sioux Falls is not as great, but the hospitals are good.

In between any hospital other than Rapid City will be affiliated with one of the two in Sioux Falls.

The other thing you are going to run into if you move to Black Hills is all the Californians moving in there... in 15-20 years it will be mini Colorado. Sioux Falls does not get the California people.

ETA: The new Gov did sign Constitutional carry, went into effect July 1.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Rapid is great.. but the hospital is a wreck.
Sioux Falls is not as great, but the hospitals are good.

In between any hospital other than Rapid City will be affiliated with one of the two in Sioux Falls.

The other thing you are going to run into if you move to Black Hills is all the Californians moving in there... in 15-20 years it will be mini Colorado. Sioux Falls does not get the California people.

ETA: The new Gov did sign Constitutional carry, went into effect July 1.
View Quote
What?  
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Maybe not so much Rapid City, but the folks I talk to West of there tell me the Californians are moving in like crazy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Maybe not so much Rapid City, but the folks I talk to West of there tell me the Californians are moving in like crazy.
View Quote
West?  Where Wyoming. I am sorry but that information is flat out wrong.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Hill City, Custer, Spearfish area...

The folks I am referring to work in an industry that provides a basic human need these days and thus know the details of where the folks needing new service, and account name changes, are from/coming from. I ain't gonna say they didn't embellish some, but when I ask them what's new I hear "The Californians are moving in everywhere".
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I work in an industry where I coordinate daily with mortgage brokers, lenders, real estate agents, etc. Not a single one of them has mentioned Californians moving in and I have not personally seen any more Californians than from any other state. My coverage area is from Belle Fourche to Edgemont. I have co-workers in Spearfish and Sturgis and neither of them have noticed an increase either. I really don't know what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Good to know! A place in the Hills has been one of the options I have been considering for retirement so it had me thinking. If a mortgage broker isn't seeing an uptick then no worries. Maybe it is just the ones from California that are giving them bigger headaches, thus the topic of conversation!
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I will say the few Californians I have had to deal with are a pain in the ass. No polite way to put it. The sense of entitlement coupled with the attitude that we are dirty hicks. Don't get me started.

ETA: I will say I see the most eastern Nebraskans as far as out of state people moving in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Guys, how is Brookings, SD? My son played junior hockey out there  back in 2012 and sure seemed like a nice booming little city with a good economy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Guys, how is Brookings, SD? My son played junior hockey out there  back in 2012 and sure seemed like a nice booming little city with a good economy.
View Quote
Brookings is a good town. Clean, low serious/violent crime. Decent job opportunities. Shopping is not so good but it’s equidistant between Sioux Falls and Watertown. The town is dominated by SDSU. It’s more liberal than a lot of towns, but not as much as Sioux Falls.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Brookings is a good town. Clean, low serious/violent crime. Decent job opportunities. Shopping is not so good but it’s equidistant between Sioux Falls and Watertown. The town is dominated by SDSU. It’s more liberal than a lot of towns, but not as much as Sioux Falls.
View Quote
@pokey074, thanks for the update.

I'd guess "liberal" in SD is nothing close to numbers of raging communists in MN?

Ya'll got a great state hope it remains strong conservative state.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I will say the few Californians I have had to deal with are a pain in the ass. No polite way to put it. The sense of entitlement coupled with the attitude that we are dirty hicks. Don't get me started.

ETA: I will say I see the most eastern Nebraskans as far as out of state people moving in.
View Quote
Going back to what we were talking about. Someone was in the office yesterday that claimed that the Californians are moving into Wyoming and driving them folks to the Hills... not sure if that is the case, but if so they are better than CA!
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#41]
So how's the Watertown area? I see they built a brand new outdoor shooting facility recently, anyone shoot there?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been in Sioux Falls for 21yrs.  Liberal as hell just as the other posters described.  Lived in West River also.  Better than here.  The only reason I'm still here is because of my daughters and grandkids.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've been in Sioux Falls for 21yrs.  Liberal as hell just as the other posters described.  Lived in West River also.  Better than here.  The only reason I'm still here is because of my daughters and grandkids.
View Quote
I grew up in Sioux Falls for the most part, and while it's changed a lot (not for the better) and gotten more liberal it's still FAR less liberal than most cities in the US.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I grew up in Sioux Falls for the most part, and while it's changed a lot (not for the better) and gotten more liberal it's still FAR less liberal than most cities in the US.
View Quote
That's true. It's nothing like LA or Seattle.  There are a lot of good people here.  Maybe it's just me and my old racist,homophobic,white supremist butt. LOL  The local MSM support of Gay Pride, BLM, diversity is our strength BS day after day gets old.  LSS and CSS has flooded this town and area with immigrants.  It's not a bad place to live.  We still have freedoms in this state (not city) others don't have.  Just don't walk your pet snake in the park with-out a leash.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Dble tap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top