Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2019 8:49:18 PM EDT
My wife and I are giving some serious thought to moving to the Santa Fe area soon. The Glorieta and Pecos areas look nice online. We’re needing something a bit away from folks with seven dogs and a respect for other folks peace and quiet

I’m a licensed clinical social worker and a licensed alcohol and drug abuse counselor and my wife ran a private voice and music teaching studio here in TN and back home in Las Vegas, NV.

Any words of advice, potential pitfalls, things to consider?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
With your credentials, you will never run out of work as New Mexico is the substance abuse capital of the world.

Why the Santa Fe area?  You do realize the price of anything in around Santa Fe is going to be triple what you would pay anywhere else.

I would look more towards Las Vegas or Jemez and so a commute.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a bunch for the info, it’s appreciated and we’ll definitely check those areas out as well.

My wife really loves the Santa Fe area and we’ve been out on a small farm in rural TN for the past 10 years. It’d be nice to be closer to good restaurants and more things to do. I really want to be in the mountains, if possible, which is why I was looking at the Glorieta and Pecos areas in particular . I’ve never been the area and am definitely open to suggestions. Thanks again
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Glorieta and Pecos are both beautiful, also want to echo the previous poster's advice re: price of real estate and job opportunities. Madrid and Lamy also offer lots of peace and quiet, and can be about the same distance from Santa Fe. Unless you're looking for some sort of city/town experience or need to be close to work, living in Santa Fe isn't necessary and you just visit when you want. I'd live farther out if it weren't for job and kid stuff, and needing to be close to those things.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information theory9 it’s definitely appreciated. Lamy has some interesting looking properties and seems it’s a newer (?) area in terms of development. Madrid looks very nice as well. We’ll definitely check those out as well.

How bad are the freeways in terms of commuting in the winter?
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The Interstate gets closed for accidents far more often than snow and ice.  It's the side roads that take a while to get cleared.  Massive snow storms are far and few between.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Good to hear that and thanks for the info. Commutes can suck bad enough without weather worries

Are there any areas in particular to avoid or that you wouldn’t want to live in?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good to hear that and thanks for the info. Commutes can suck bad enough without weather worries

Are there any areas in particular to avoid or that you wouldn’t want to live in?
View Quote
Espanola is a place to avoid, unless you like watching people OD on heroin.  I watched a guy die in the Walfart parking lot years ago.  Not a pretty sight.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Espanola es no bueno. After doing a short google search that is more than confirmed. Thank you for that info, it really helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top