Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2020 9:18:29 AM EDT
I currently live in Florida, I am thinking of relocating to Nevada.

My mother lives in South Lake Tahoe (Myers) CA and I visit her twice a year. She is roughly five miles from the Nevada state line. We regularly travel to Carson City (Costco) and Reno (I work out at Orange Theory in Reno), so I've gotten used to traveling around that area. I'd prefer to stay on the west side of those mountains that have the Spooner Summit on it, highway 50. I know there are small towns like Garnerville and Minden, on the west side of those mountains, and on the other side, there is Carson City and Reno. I think I would really like Reno, but my mother tells me it gets to be  100 degrees in the summer. She is spoiled from living at 7000 feet in Tahoe where it is always 50 degrees in the morning in the summer.

Anyone live in Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville? Any other suggestions in Nevada closer to CA in that area that still get seasonal temp changes? I'm a CPA and can work anywhere. My GF is an ER trauma nurse.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
We have several members here that live in those areas. They are all nice places.

Minden and Gardnerville are more upscale than Carson, generally speaking. I would also suggest checking out Genoa.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I currently live in Florida, I am thinking of relocating to Nevada.

My mother lives in South Lake Tahoe (Myers) CA and I visit her twice a year. She is roughly five miles from the Nevada state line. We regularly travel to Carson City (Costco) and Reno (I work out at Orange Theory in Reno), so I've gotten used to traveling around that area. I'd prefer to stay on the west side of those mountains that have the Spooner Summit on it, highway 50. I know there are small towns like Garnerville and Minden, on the west side of those mountains, and on the other side, there is Carson City and Reno. I think I would really like Reno, but my mother tells me it gets to be  100 degrees in the summer. She is spoiled from living at 7000 feet in Tahoe where it is always 50 degrees in the morning in the summer.

Anyone live in Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville? Any other suggestions in Nevada closer to CA in that area that still get seasonal temp changes? I'm a CPA and can work anywhere. My GF is an ER trauma nurse.

View Quote

Your girlfriend might want to look into what areas have a Trauma center. It's Reno, NV. About an hour drive away.

Gardnerville and Minden aren't cheap. It's filled with people who want to live in South Lake and "avoid" paying the prices.
When you say "West side" of the mountains I don't know what mountains you're talking about. Minden, Gardnerville, and Carson City are all on the East side of mountains around South Lake Tahoe. The only thing Carson City and Gardnerville are on the WEST side of are the Pine Nut Mountains. If you want to stay on the side with Spooner Summit you're talking about living in South Lake or Incline Village. Hopefully you've been in the area when it snows because it can take a lot longer to get to/from South Lake on Highway 50 in winter conditions. When it's 50 in Reno/Minden/Gardnerville it's 20s at Lake Tahoe.

There aren't any mountains between Minden/Gardnerville and Carson City.
Minden and Gardnerville don't get any cooler than Reno/Carson City. Reno averages 89F in July. Minden averages 86. Your mother lied to you, or doesn't watch the weather in Minden enough. Just watch it all summer long through September and compare it to Reno.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/reno/89501/july-weather/329507?year=2019

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/minden/89423/july-weather/334443?year=2019

July 24 there was a 3 degree difference between Minden and Carson City.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#3]
It should be noted that we have extremely low humidity, so 100 degrees in Reno is very different from 100 degrees in Florida.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
During the heart of summer the temps can flirt in the low 100s but it is not streaks of 100 degree days like in the CA central valley, Vegas (yuck) or AZ. Usual highs run in the upper 80s-90s on hot days.

The "its a dry heat" is a very real thing. A 100 degree day in the high desert with ~10% (or lower humidity) is not bad at all if in the shade.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve lived in Gardnerville since 1990. I was 15 when we came here.

It’s gone from sleepy little agricultural town to the place where 87,000 old fucks (65+ years old crowd) have sold their houses in California and decided to come and live their years.  And yes they bring their CA politics and attitudes with them.

Wife and I bought our house ten years ago.  Every house around me since then has sold to CA transplant retirees.  Not another house in the area with people my age with kids.  They can’t afford to buy.  After a while, these old fucks decided to try to institute a HOA “for our street”.  Fuck you and fuck that noise.  Wife and I are the only two working age people in the whole neighborhood.  We get dirty looks from the neighbors because my weeds haven’t been pulled and my lawn looks like shit.  Guess what you old fuck, I gotta go to work.

The cost of housing is astronomical, and the inventory of what’s available to buy is pretty slim.  These old fucks also love to buy the scarce few remaining lots to build on.  What do they end up building? 4000 square foot houses with a six car garage and a detached two bay RV garage.  For two people.  

Did I mention the old fucks?  They drive slower than shit.  Takes me easily 30 minutes to drive 13 miles to the south end of Carson City.  They love to drive 5 under the speed limit, while camping out in the fast lane right next to their old fuck friend in the slow lane.  They fucking clog the grocery stores and pretty much overwhelm the pharmacies and doctors offices.

Its beautiful, but if it weren’t for our jobs, we’d seriously GTFO.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
^ Did a little work up there in '98. Beautiful, I loved it.

Went to Tahoe late last year for a few days. On the way back I spent awhile checking out the Gardnerville area.

Jeepers, did that place change! You confirmed what I assumed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a single piece of information about the area. Just bitching about how he did nothing to change the area when he moved there. It was great after HE moved there and these new folks are ruining it.

Living 20 minutes from South Lake Tahoe makes it expensive. It was expensive 10 years ago with limited supply.

Gardnerville and Minden aren’t a booming metropolis. They are still sleepy farm towns. It still gets hot as fuck there just like Carson City and Reno. Also doesn’t have a hospital with a trauma center.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USMC6337:
I’ve lived in Gardnerville since 1990. I was 15 when we came here.

It’s gone from sleepy little agricultural town to the place where 87,000 old fucks (65+ years old crowd) have sold their houses in California and decided to come and live their years.  And yes they bring their CA politics and attitudes with them.

Wife and I bought our house ten years ago.  Every house around me since then has sold to CA transplant retirees.  Not another house in the area with people my age with kids.  They can’t afford to buy.  After a while, these old fucks decided to try to institute a HOA “for our street”.  Fuck you and fuck that noise.  Wife and I are the only two working age people in the whole neighborhood.  We get dirty looks from the neighbors because my weeds haven’t been pulled and my lawn looks like shit.  Guess what you old fuck, I gotta go to work.

The cost of housing is astronomical, and the inventory of what’s available to buy is pretty slim.  These old fucks also love to buy the scarce few remaining lots to build on.  What do they end up building? 4000 square foot houses with a six car garage and a detached two bay RV garage.  For two people.  

Did I mention the old fucks?  They drive slower than shit.  Takes me easily 30 minutes to drive 13 miles to the south end of Carson City.  They love to drive 5 under the speed limit, while camping out in the fast lane right next to their old fuck friend in the slow lane.  They fucking clog the grocery stores and pretty much overwhelm the pharmacies and doctors offices.

Its beautiful, but if it weren’t for our jobs, we’d seriously GTFO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:
Just bitching about how he did nothing to change the area when he moved there. It was great after HE moved there and these new folks are ruining it. 
View Quote

He's not wrong.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Deadmeat99:

He's not wrong.
View Quote

Funny how no one complained about him ruining anything back when he was new. Magically the transplants who have been here 20 years never fucked ANYTHING UP and it was years later the place went to shit. Heard it in my home town and laughed my ass off thinking “Yeah let’s go back to 1995 when your house was a dirt field. Oh no? That’s too far back? Interesting how it wasn’t so great THAT long ago and it’s only great AFTER you moved here.” Started getting fucked up after I moved there and that was five years before you moved in to town.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Funny how no one complained about him ruining anything back when he was new. Magically the transplants who have been here 20 years never fucked ANYTHING UP and it was years later the place went to shit. Heard it in my home town and laughed my ass off thinking “Yeah let’s go back to 1995 when your house was a dirt field. Oh no? That’s too far back? Interesting how it wasn’t so great THAT long ago and it’s only great AFTER you moved here.” Started getting fucked up after I moved there and that was five years before you moved in to town.
View Quote

Due to the fact I moved to Gardnerville when I was 15, I don’t really consider myself a transplant...

To give you an idea about how small town this place was, I took the test to get my drivers license on my 16th birthday inside the Gardnerville Volunteer Fire Station.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By USMC6337:

Due to the fact I moved to Gardnerville when I was 15, I don’t really consider myself a transplant...

To give you an idea about how small town this place was, I took the test to get my drivers license on my 16th birthday inside the Gardnerville Volunteer Fire Station.
View Quote

I guess anyone who moves there with kids wouldn’t be transplants either. To give to an idea there are people with teenagers moving there so the next time you call them a transplant think that’s was my parents when I was 15.’
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I fled New Jersey 43 years ago and never looked back.

I consider myself a Nevada native and a Nevadan.

It's like being given up for adoption and being adopted by a good family that enjoys Freedom. You assimilate to that new family and you are thankful for being there.

However, you never forgot where you came from (traditions, friends, faith, etc) but you melt into the lifestyle and Freedom that you never thought existed.

I LOVE Nevada and it breaks my heart that opposing political parties (and Republicans you have blood on your hands, too)
can sink this proud and Battle Born state brings me to tears of regret and anger.

This entire country is failing and politicians are overtly creating made for TV scientific crisis tests and we are the guinea pigs.

Sorry to rant but after 43 years of Freedom in Nevada and the southwest, for the first time I'm thinking about popping smoke.

Let me say this... if anything breaks out I will fight for Nevada and not eject.

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Just sold my rental in South Gardnerville. Went for $30,000 over asking. I thought the ask was high   Now looking at north Carson or Reno.  Need to find a job there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I moved to Sparks around 06 I think and it’s changed a ton. I looked at houses in Minden and Gardnerville but most of what I would want was way out of my price range. I dint know if Carson is as crazy but I’d look there. With my job I need to be in the Reno/Sparks area.

Wish I could live closer to the lake as it reminds me a lot of home and the temps are nicer in the summer but I’m not wealthy enough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top