Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2021 1:22:58 PM EDT
Hey all,

I've been trying to get out of the Northeast for the last 10 years.  Finally the wife is on board but last year the Covid bug squashed the job market.

The other day I was approached by my company about transferring down to Atlanta.  Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about the area.  I've been in the ATL airport a couple times but that's about it.

My office is around the Red Oak.  I'd also have to go into the city 40% of the time to visit customers.  I'm on the road a lot.

Can anyone tell me their thoughts?  Bad area, should I stay the heck away and hold out for a different state?  I'm thinking I'd need to find a home that's no more than 45 minutes from the office.  I'm open to suggestions with that as well.

My son is 12 so I want to make sure he'll be in a good environment because the transition will be challenging for him.

I'm grateful for any help, thoughts and guidance.  Getting our of the Northeast is a priority for us but I don't want to be stuck in a miserable part of GA either.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
We moved to Georgia 5 years ago and really like it.   We live in North Georgia so I'm not familiar with Red Oak.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We moved to Georgia 5 years ago and really like it.   We live in North Georgia so I'm not familiar with Red Oak.
View Quote

If my calculations are correct Red Oak is maybe 4-5 miles West of the airport.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what google maps says. First time I've heard of it.

You're best bet is living South or SW of the city if you're going to have to go into the office in the morning with any frequency. Maybe use google maps to drive around your perspective areas to get an idea on the lay of the land. Someone more knowledgeable with that area will be along shortly with better info.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey all,

I've been trying to get out of the Northeast for the last 10 years.  Finally the wife is on board but last year the Covid bug squashed the job market.

The other day I was approached by my company about transferring down to Atlanta.  Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about the area.  I've been in the ATL airport a couple times but that's about it.

My office is around the Red Oak.  I'd also have to go into the city 40% of the time to visit customers.  I'm on the road a lot.

Can anyone tell me their thoughts?  Bad area, should I stay the heck away and hold out for a different state?  I'm thinking I'd need to find a home that's no more than 45 minutes from the office.  I'm open to suggestions with that as well.

My son is 12 so I want to make sure he'll be in a good environment because the transition will be challenging for him.

I'm grateful for any help, thoughts and guidance.  Getting our of the Northeast is a priority for us but I don't want to be stuck in a miserable part of GA either.
View Quote

Something to keep in mind when property shopping in the ATL area:

The time/distance formulas you'd use in other parts of the country (like 10 miles = 10 minutes) do not apply in the ATL. I work 10 miles north of my home, and it routinely takes 45 minutes to cover that distance due to lights and traffic, and that's outside of the metro area. Inside would be even worse.

When we first moved here from the Birmingham area, I got a job 25 miles from the house. Took about 40 minutes in the morning and between 1.5 and 2.5 hours in the afternoon. If it was raining, it was a guaranteed 2.5 hrs of stop and go.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's what google maps says. First time I've heard of it.

You're best bet is living South or SW of the city if you're going to have to go into the office in the morning with any frequency. Maybe use google maps to drive around your perspective areas to get an idea on the lay of the land. Someone more knowledgeable with that area will be along shortly with better info.
View Quote

Thank you sir.  Sorry for my ignorance.  Apparently Red Oak is considered an area of Fulton County.  Red Oak appears to be South West of College Park off of I285.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Something to keep in mind when property shopping in the ATL area:

The time/distance formulas you'd use in other parts of the country (like 10 miles = 10 minutes) do not apply in the ATL. I work 10 miles north of my home, and it routinely takes 45 minutes to cover that distance due to lights and traffic, and that's outside of the metro area. Inside would be even worse.

When we first moved here from the Birmingham area, I got a job 25 miles from the house. Took about 40 minutes in the morning and between 1.5 and 2.5 hours in the afternoon. If it was raining, it was a guaranteed 2.5 hrs of stop and go.
View Quote

Yikes!  That sounds like Boston type traffic.  I sort of make my own schedule.  So, if I have to go into the "metro" area 90% of the time I should be able to get in and out after/before the rush hours.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
How does the forecast look in regards to firearm laws?  Does GA have a pretty good lock on things?  I see there is a Red majority in the state senate and house.

I've been through that nonsense up here and I don't want to experience it again any time soon or at all.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How does the forecast look in regards to firearm laws?  Does GA have a pretty good lock on things?  I see there is a Red majority in the state senate and house.

I've been through that nonsense up here and I don't want to experience it again any time soon or at all.
View Quote

Although we bitch a lot about what laws we don't have, we're in pretty good shape now and in the foreseeable future.  Our greatest firearm law threats come from potential changes in federal regulation.

We are fortunate to be a gun friendly state with gun friendly people.

Welcome!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yikes!  That sounds like Boston type traffic.  I sort of make my own schedule.  So, if I have to go into the "metro" area 90% of the time I should be able to get in and out after/before the rush hours.
View Quote

Folks here think that Atlanta traffic is HORRIBLE... but its just like any large city.   I lived in Chicago most of my life and traffic here is about as bad as Chicago.   I'm retired now so I mostly get to avoid any rush hour misery.  The roads here are better than up North and we rarely get snow,  but Atlanta is growing rapidly and traffic gets worse every year.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Your best bet is to live as far outside of 285 in any direction. I think Newnan or maybe a little further out might be acceptable commuting wise.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Having never heard of Red Oak, Google Maps says it's in the hood on the southside.

I'm guessing the closest nice part of town down there is Peachtree City.

The other problem is schools. If you don't have any kids, that's a plus to living closer than an hour to Atlanta. Most of the idiot counties in metro Atlanta are keeping with the draconian/leftist COVID rules for their school systems. For example, DeKalb county just went back to VOLUNTARY in-person and they are debating on keeping the same policy next school year.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Having never heard of Red Oak, Google Maps says it's in the hood on the southside. I was curious about that.  Thanks.

The other problem is schools. If you don't have any kids, that's a plus to living closer than an hour to Atlanta. Most of the idiot counties in metro Atlanta are keeping with the draconian/leftist COVID rules for their school systems. For example, DeKalb county just went back to VOLUNTARY in-person and they are debating on keeping the same policy next school year.
View Quote

Up here the school year started out "Hyprid" a couple days in and 3 days out of school.  Then in January they went back to full time with the option of "distance/at home" learning.  My son is 12 and I make an OK salary but probably not enough to pay for private school.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Up here the school year started out "Hyprid" a couple days in and 3 days out of school.  Then in January they went back to full time with the option of "distance/at home" learning.  My son is 12 and I make an OK salary but probably not enough to pay for private school.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having never heard of Red Oak, Google Maps says it's in the hood on the southside. I was curious about that.  Thanks.

My county, Gwinnett, allows for in person or from home. In addition we have GA Cyber Academy, which is an online charter school for any county. Our kids have done GCA, home school and for the last I don't know how many years have been with various home school coops. My son is now in college, and daughter in 10th-ish grade and got a good enough accuplacer score to do dual enrollment next year. Dual enrollment, the state lets high school juniors and seniors take college classes which count for both high school and college credits.

If you have to be in the office on the south side, I wouldn't recommend Gwinnett. Hell, I wouldn't recommend Gwinnett if you were working in Gwinnett, and I'm a 45ish year Gwinnett resident.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Red oak is a area on the extreme south west edge of Atlanta. It's still a decent area surrounded by the hood. Atlanta West auto auction, and some other industrial companies.  Douglas county has turned extreme democrat and that's the bordering County. Plenty of friendly county's west of there. Paulding, Carroll, and Haralson.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thank you sir.  Sorry for my ignorance.  Apparently Red Oak is considered an area of Fulton County.  Red Oak appears to be South West of College Park off of I285.
View Quote

Stay out of Fulton Co. at all costs. It is the belly of the beast.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Your best bet is to live as far outside of 285 in any direction. I think Newnan or maybe a little further out might be acceptable commuting wise.
View Quote

This. On the southwestish side, start with Newnan and look at surrounding areas. Again, stay out of south Fulton.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I moved to Cobb from Dallas 1.5 years ago and we really like it. Better weather, everything is cheaper, more nature.

We are in west Cobb and it’s pretty rural feeling while still having amenities. School districts are the big ones to watch for and houses on one side of the line or the other could vary by like 50%
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like you are living my life, with about a 2 yr lag......Took 10yrs to persuade my wife to move from NY.

We moved down in mid '19, but have been visiting multiple times a year since 2010 having multiple families throughout the area.

I was in a similar scenario from a work perspective too (being partially remote, with office in ATL) as I can set my meeting times and travel outside of the "Rush" hours and take calls in the car.

If you would like to talk live, I'd be happy to give you my personal perspective.

Just shoot me a DM and we can connect live.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Red Oak area is rich and vibrant, extremely. Anywhere South/West of town around the airport is. If you want to make the move you’ll need to get at least Newnan/Peachtree City far and possibly further. Going West is going to suck and the 85 North drive from South is going to suck too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sounds like you are living my life, with about a 2 yr lag......Took 10yrs to persuade my wife to move from NY.

We moved down in mid '19, but have been visiting multiple times a year since 2010 having multiple families throughout the area.

I was in a similar scenario from a work perspective too (being partially remote, with office in ATL) as I can set my meeting times and travel outside of the "Rush" hours and take calls in the car.

If you would like to talk live, I'd be happy to give you my personal perspective.

Just shoot me a DM and we can connect live.
View Quote

I might take you up on that.  Sounds like parallel situations for sure as I'm a NY neighbor.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Red Oak area is rich and vibrant, extremely. Anywhere South/West of town around the airport is. If you want to make the move you’ll need to get at least Newnan/Peachtree City far and possibly further. Going West is going to suck and the 85 North drive from South is going to suck too.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#22]
It sounds like the achilles heal for me is being tied to the Atlanta area.  I bet anywhere else in the state would have given me a multitude of options.

I appreciate all the help.  Right now it sounds like this may be a big challenge.

I'm trying not to let my burning desire to get out of Yankeeville lead me into a bad scenario.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It sounds like the achilles heal for me is being tied to the Atlanta area.  I bet anywhere else in the state would have given me a multitude of options.

I appreciate all the help.  Right now it sounds like this may be a big challenge.

I'm trying not to let my burning desire to get out of Yankeeville lead me into a bad scenario.
View Quote

With flexibility on meeting/travel times.....being tied to ATL is not quite as bad as it may seem.

I am on the N. End of Cobb county and (at least for me) it works fine.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Chattahoochee Hills would be the area I would suggest  to look at for living based on work location. Anything really close is sketchy IMHO
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd agree. I'm in newnan, and its about 45 mins to the airport, another hour to the northside. I avoid it at all costs. I work in the middle of no where. couldn't pay me to commute and/or live in the close suburbs of ATL. love it otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#26]
First - ATL traffic sux, how bad it sux depends on where you live and the weather conditions. With the COVID inspired WFH, I didn't realize how much I hated the daily commute, but I do. Based in Red Oak, you can live in Fayette county which still has some good schools compared to other locations, do look at Newnan or even out I20 towards Villa Rica. Miles don't always tell the commute story.

I think you will enjoy the move, hopefully the recent events will cause backbone growth in our state politicians, we are still a red state and 2A friendly - for now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hell, I wouldn't recommend Gwinnett if you were working in Gwinnett, and I'm a 45ish year Gwinnett resident.
View Quote

No doubt.

My shop is in Barrow but I live in Gwinnett . . . trying to get the hell out and move to Jackson or Banks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#28]
In Red oak You will want to live in PTC (higher taxes, low crime) or Newnan.  You want to be out of Fulton county and any of those are an easy commute to Red Oak.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In Red oak You will want to live in PTC (higher taxes, low crime) or Newnan.  You want to be out of Fulton county and any of those are an easy commute to Red Oak.
View Quote

Agree with Fulton County sucking.. I live in Fulton.  Taxes are terrible, the Fulton County services are terrible. Atlanta city service is terrible.... I have to live here due to my job and my wife's career.  But when we stop working, we are getting the hell out of Dodge, either to North Georgia or TN.

My neighbor is on vacation, He had a water leak from the main, between the street cut off and the meter.  I called him and he said he knew of it and put in a ticket for the Atlanta watershed to fix it ( the week prior)  7 days later, no one shows and its starting to gush.  I called him and asked if I could shut off the main to his house.  He said yes, and called the city.  They said it would be at least another week to get someone out there. I called a plumber and it was fixed in 3 hours after my call. The neighbor will pay for it, but this is an example of the horrific service you get with anything associated with Fulton County or the City of Atlanta.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top