Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2020 1:04:49 PM EDT
I am "thinking" of moving to Alabama after being in Virginia for years.  My parents live in outside of Montgomery and I am going to be deploying overseas in May/June 2021 but I am thinking of just stay in AL until I hit my Army Reserve retirement and then find work in the area.  After the ex wife falsely accusing me of Domestic Violance in 2018 (since expunged and dismissed), threating phone call in 2018 (since expunged and dismissed), losing my SES position with the government because it required a TS clearance (well not losing but suspended because of no TS clearance but I have my Secret in the Army still) and now making 2/3 of my pay I am thinking of moving back to Alabama and just retiring and finding work.  I will be 43 years old, two divorces, 7 deployments, 4 counter drug missions, and a lot of Bullshit.  The only saving grace is my parents will let me move into the family home and I might be able to work the Ranch for a few years or start a Small Business in the area.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Elmore and Autauga Counties aren't too bad, and across the river from Monthuggery. Real estate is so-so. IMHO, a lot of it is overpriced, because of the sorry state of schools in Monthuggery. Ironically, in Elmore and Autauge counties, the local (public) schools are mediocre; Private schools are only marginally better. Sales tax is 8.5% (Millbrook), 8% (Wetumpka), 9.5 to 11% (Prattville, Autauga / Elmore Co). Of course Maxwell-Gunter for .mil stuff, like Commissary / BX. Crime isn't too bad; most of it is overflow from Monthuggery, but occasionally it is home-grown. There is also a Bass Pro and Academy Sports in Prattville.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Go for it, anywhere actually not in Montgomery will be fine.

Sound like an interesting dude, hit me up if you move, and we can meet up at the WMA shooting range that's about half way b/t Montgomery and Bham which is where I'm near.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I retired here after 27 years in the Army.  Wife deployed, got injured and they medically retired her.  We live in Shelby County.  Schools are great, and the cost of living isn't too high.  Sorry to hear about the ex.  Glad you're free and clear of that situation.  Welcome (potentially) to Alabama, you'll just need to pick a team.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Walter Craig is the best gun store in Montgomery but it's well worth the drive to check out Hoover Tactical in Hoover. Also, Simmons in Bessemer had a lot of guns the last time that I was there. If you are looking for a $2000 pearl handled M-1911 then Mark's is your place.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been in the Gump area my entire life. It has been in constant decline, I moved out 14 years ago. I'm currently looking to move further north into Elmore/Tallapoosa county. Job market around Montgomery is not great, Birmingham area is probably easier to find a new career.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 3:17:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been in the Gump area my entire life. It has been in constant decline, I moved out 14 years ago. I'm currently looking to move further north into Elmore/Tallapoosa county. Job market around Montgomery is not great, Birmingham area is probably easier to find a new career.
View Quote

TanklessPro is right.  Montgomery is sadly in a downward spiral and is getting worse every year.  People are leaving Montgomery as soon as they can.

The job market is not too great in Montgomery.  The policies of Obama and his fellow travelers caused Montgomery to lose companies and jobs.  They did not come back, and from what I'm hearing, may never come back.

Elmore and Autauga Counties are good, but real estate is higher, due to the flight from Montgomery as well as Maxwell and Gunter being located in Montgomery.  Still good places to live, IMHO.

But, if you are planning on starting a business, this area will be good.  It seems like most businesses around here are either fast food, grocery stores or big box stores.  There's a need for other types of businesses.  I'd love to see a HTF type store and range in Prattville!

Send me a message if you need more information.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Huntsville and Redstone Arsenal, either as USA or a contractor.  Bunch of aerospace contractors up here and Vets get special attention.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Huntsville is the best place to live in Alabama.
View Quote

And probably has the best job market for someone looking for a job.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huntsville is the best place to live in Alabama.

My daughter quit Boeing in early Oct. this year.  She had two interviews yesterday and has one today.  The one from [name redacted] has already given her an offer and it's $15k more than what Boeing was paying her.  And she's in Finance, not Engineering (although she has some CM experience).

Most of Huntsville and pretty much all of Madison is a great place to raise kids.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I work in Madison and born and raised in Huntsville. Great area, high tech work plentiful. If you love hunting and fishing it's got both and some of the best in south east. Myself B'ham would be a deal breaker but anything north of Cullman should be good, actually all the way to Tn line should be good!
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Consider Shelby county, some great areas, I lived there before I moved here, some day I will move back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top