Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2018 3:49:07 PM EDT
I'm wanting to get away from damn Georgia that's taxing the ever loving shit out of me, ( especially my Army retirement ) not to mention if that communist cunt Abrams gets elected.

I thinking of buying a small house somewhere down around Hardeeville, on the western side of I95.  I'd like to be a little ways out of town, but not completely out in the boonies.  Still working in around Pooler Georgia and I have visitation with my Son who's in Savannah.

What all should I look out for?  Things to consider?  I have a GWCL but if I take up residency in SC, would that become null and void?

Any and all recommendations would be helpful.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only limited experience with Hardeeville, mostly passing through on trips. I am not impressed with what I have seen though. The surrounding area looks very depressed. I guess the good news is the property values should be pretty affordable. Honestly, there are MUCH better places to live in SC, unless you are only looking for cheap country land.

As far as the CWP, you will have to get a SCCWP if you move your personal residence to SC. The Georgia permit will be null and void.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
OP to get any kind of nice middle to upper class neighborhoods, you are going to have to move further and commute further to your job in Savannah. You need to look around the Bluffton and Sun City, SC areas.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feed back so far.

I'm not really concerned about the immediate area, just as long as it's not a DMZ/moderate-high crime area.  Just some place quiet and a bit off the beaten path.

I'm also wanting to stay further away from the coast and flood prone areas.  Don't get me wrong, Hilton Head area is nice, but not the place I want to live.  Being post-divorce for the last two years, I'm not longer made of money.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
DUly noted. Again, I will suggest looking around and inland from Bluffton
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Other than Hardeeville, Sun City, Bluffton areas, your next option is Ridgeland at exit 21.  They have nice areas as well as bad, just like everywhere else.  35 mins to Sav. by 95/321.

If you notice the extra swamp land everywhere between Hardeeville and Ridgeland, its owned by one family since before the civil war.  Called Okatee Hunt club, its something like 60,000 acres, all for their hunting pleasure.  Infact, its mostly big hunt "Plantations" with another, Turkey Hill at 30,000 acres, that make up most of Jasper county.  Pulp pine tree farms make up the rest.

The further away from the coast the cheaper it gets $20,000 acre by I95, $5000 around 321ish.  Food sucks, unless you like McDonalds/ Burger King.  No bars, 2 food stores that I swear are where the bad/ old dated meat is sent.  Schools and Industry not the best.  Gas is always $.20 more at the gas stations.

But good people and a great place to live if you don't have to worry about that other s--t.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Beware of Ridgeland, SC. It is a notorious speed trap. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other than Hardeeville, Sun City, Bluffton areas, your next option is Ridgeland at exit 21.  They have nice areas as well as bad, just like everywhere else.  35 mins to Sav. by 95/321.

If you notice the extra swamp land everywhere between Hardeeville and Ridgeland, its owned by one family since before the civil war.  Called Okatee Hunt club, its something like 60,000 acres, all for their hunting pleasure.  Infact, its mostly big hunt "Plantations" with another, Turkey Hill at 30,000 acres, that make up most of Jasper county.  Pulp pine tree farms make up the rest.

The further away from the coast the cheaper it gets $20,000 acre by I95, $5000 around 321ish.  Food sucks, unless you like McDonalds/ Burger King.  No bars, 2 food stores that I swear are where the bad/ old dated meat is sent.  Schools and Industry not the best.  Gas is always $.20 more at the gas stations.

But good people and a great place to live if you don't have to worry about that other s--t.
View Quote
I appreciate the information.  Good feedback.

I used to work in Ridgeland for about two years, ( apparently it wasn't the best part of town since we would occasionally get locked down inside due to various crimes, raids, etc, going on in the neighborhoods around us ) but it seemed generally ok.  I prefer small town/country life and like to live quietly.

Outside of Ridgeland is a possibility, though being a little further south somewhere around Hardeeville would be better.

Low to no crime, not in a flood zone or even a chance of it happening and being five to ten miles, ( ideally ) from the interstate/main roads.  Basically what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beware of Ridgeland, SC. It is a notorious speed trap. Ask me how I know.
View Quote
Oh yes... unfortunately I'm familiar with that speed trap, too.  $$$
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top