Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2021 12:35:28 AM EDT
Im a 70 year old male ,retired LEO living in Tucson thinking about moving to Idaho.Would like affordable housing,no retirement communities although I know very little about them.Quiet and low crime housing.I should mention I know very little about Idaho.Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Affordable housing will be the biggest hurdle you face at the moment.

Check the East side of Boise for a quiet neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
“Affordable” is a moving target up here in the north.

Not much of anything for less than $400k around me.  

We have 3 seasons up here. Cold long winter-with snow-4x4 or better recommended- (6months) followed by a couple months of mud then it’s just dirt and fires.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Affordable housing? LOL that's a funny one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Affordable housing? LOL that's a funny one.
View Quote

Well maybe he has a different definition of affordable. Lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Im a 70 year old male ,retired LEO living in Tucson thinking about moving to Idaho.Would like affordable housing,no retirement communities although I know very little about them.Quiet and low crime housing.I should mention I know very little about Idaho.Any info would be appreciated.
View Quote

Never been asked before !!

OP....click this link to read all the other "moving to Idaho" threads
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never been asked before !!

OP....click this link to read all the other "moving to Idaho" threads

This section is pretty dead. Let him ask. No need to be rude man.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Since you're a retired LEO, I would have said to check out Star, ID since that town is full of retired LEO and .mil

Unfortunately, it's also become somewhat not affordable even since I came to Idaho 3 years ago. Granted, your idea of affordable may be very different than mine so I would say to at least zillow it up.

Other than that, the southern edges of the Treasure Valley would be the place to check if you're thinking about being close to Boise. Prices in places like Homedale, Marsing, Wilder, Parma, even Caldwell aren't as high, but they're a lot high-er than 3 years ago too.

A little further east, Grandview, Mountain Home (near, not in town though), Glenns Ferry, that area is quiet, and I like it. Hard to get far in the winter when 84 gets closed for ice though. It's windy over there too pretty much always. Your access to things like shopping, doctors, restaurants, etc is limited but not impossible.

Twin Falls is nice, but other than hearing that it's kinda meth-y I don't know much about that area.

That's all SW Idaho that I am even passingly familiar with.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Wait until the coming housing bubble collapse. Right now prices are utterly insane. Like double what they were a year ago.

If you enjoy working on stuff, there are still some fixer-upper deals in great locations to be had in Caldwell. But you'd need to be ready to renovate/rebuild substantial parts of the house and current lumber prices make that even more difficult.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Lewiston's pretty nice, housing's gone up of course.  We're in the banana belt, down off the Palouse and near the Snake and Clearwater Rivers. Winter here is relatively mild. Great fishing, and hunting.
As somebody posted above, Zillow is a good resource for housing prices.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd recommend Caldwell OP. It still has that small town feel but close to Resources.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top