Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 8/1/2022 4:45:33 AM EDT
I plan on retiring in less than five years and want to get the heck out of my communist dystopia I currently live in.  My parents are also considering a move there as well.  My family and I are all solidly red and won't infect the Hawkeye State with the virus of leftism.

I've been doing some research and I see that you have Constitutional Carry and are suppressor / SBR friendly (a pity about FA stuff, but I doubt I'll ever afford that anyway).

I'm looking at the areas south of Des Moines.  I'd like to be around 30-45 minutes away from a major hospital for my parents, who are getting on in years.

I'd like to get at least 20 acres of land to shoot and ride horses on.  Do lots of folks on large-ish properties shoot on their own property?  I'd like to be able to shoot at ranges of 100+ yards on my own land.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome!!!
I'd suggest looking at areas further North as well. Theres a large hospital in Mason City and the surrounding area is very rural. Shooting on your property isn't a problem generally, depends on how close your neighbors are. Our nearest neighbor is half a mile away so it isn't a problem. There are some nice little towns South of Mason City, Hampton, Greene, Waverly...
Beautiful State, friendly people, very pro gun.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
20 acres within a half an hour of the metro will not be cheap.  Many others have that same plan.  Shooting on your own property shouldn't be an issue but be mindful of neighbors and the lay of the land.  It's doable on twenty acres, tho I would want more.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I just finished building on 60 acres about 45 minutes SW from downtown Des Moines.  I got very lucky to find the land, plus just far enough outside the urban sprawl that it was still affordable.  It's not getting any cheaper since I bought two years ago.  Study Google maps before you buy.  Your property is one thing, what lays over the hill is a bigger issue.  My property is the middle 60 acres of a 1 by 2 mile section that is in a bowl shaped area. It is over 3 miles to the next house in line with my range, so even if something gets past the backstop it's running out of energy before it gets that far.

50, 100, 200 and 400 yard berms.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Iowa also just implemented a reform to eliminate state-level income tax on retirement account distributions, and to flatten all earned-income tax brackets down to 3.9% over the next 5 years.
Great place to retire!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Moved here 5 years ago and it's been very good to me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Iowa also just implemented a reform to eliminate state-level income tax on retirement account distributions, and to flatten all earned-income tax brackets down to 3.9% over the next 5 years.
Great place to retire!
View Quote

That's one of the things that got my attention.  My parents are traveling through Iowa (they went to the big airshow in Oshkosh) and really liked the area.  They are both retired (nurse and firefighter) and not having their pensions taxed is quite attractive.  I'll be in the same boat in a few years as well.

How much snow do you all get on average?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on where you live, south of Des Moines isn't going to be that bad.

It's the spring wind and summer thunderstorms that I think are worse than winter. (Eta context: Im in the Ames area)
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's one of the things that got my attention.  My parents are traveling through Iowa (they went to the big airshow in Oshkosh) and really liked the area.  They are both retired (nurse and firefighter) and not having their pensions taxed is quite attractive.  I'll be in the same boat in a few years as well.

View Quote

In the Hampton area its about 32 inches a year.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Highway 20 is the border of the snow belt.  South of that it's not much. North of that it's real winter.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Highway 20 is the border of the snow belt.  South of that it's not much. North of that it's real winter.
View Quote

That is 100% accurate.

Even people that plow snow talk about that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just finished building on 60 acres about 45 minutes SW from downtown Des Moines.  I got very lucky to find the land, plus just far enough outside the urban sprawl that it was still affordable.  It's not getting any cheaper since I bought two years ago.  Study Google maps before you buy.  Your property is one thing, what lays over the hill is a bigger issue.  My property is the middle 60 acres of a 1 by 2 mile section that is in a bowl shaped area. It is over 3 miles to the next house in line with my range, so even if something gets past the backstop it's running out of energy before it gets that far.

50, 100, 200 and 400 yard berms.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166276/20220704_065343_jpg-2473062.JPG
View Quote

Woah, that’s awesome. Congratulations on such a great setup.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:How much snow do you all get on average?
View Quote

Less than I got, and at a warmer temperature, than in MN and ND
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Iowa isn't a bad state but land prices are crazy. I doubt you'd be able to touch nice non farmable ground for less than $7k/acre unless it's swamp ground.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd suggest somewhere not so close to Des Moines everything will be cheaper and less crowded
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Des Moines, and Iowa City are really expensive. Waterloo is a ghetto. Look towards the corners of the state for affordable acres.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top