Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2023 5:17:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RedSev13]
Hello all.
I will be in your great state for 7 weeks for work near Tomah and Sparta WI starting early July.  I am checking in to see if there are any good food or shops, places to see while I am here and places to avoid.  
I also wanted to see about conceal carrying here and if there is anything I need to know about that.  I believe my permit from KY is valid in WI as well.  The one big difference I have seen is that signs are enforceable about carry. Thank you all for your time and input.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Signs for concealed carry are "informed trespass" meaning they function as 'you can't come in here with that'.  In general, as long as you leave when someone tells you to leave you won't get tangled up with the law. The signs are equivalent of someone telling you to leave. I haven't heard of someone getting in trouble who wasn't also being antagonistic towards someone but if someone spots something, calls the cops before talking to you it may be a problem.

The Cranberry Lodge on the North side of Tomah has a great set of painted murals about the history of cranberry farming. I bet you could walk right in and go look. (Food and service isn't great there otherwise. Average at best.) That's my extent of Tomah area recreation.

There might be museums at the military bases nearby.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the clarification on that, it certainly helps.  I will try to see if I can poke my head in and look at the murals if possible.  Thank you again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:35:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#3]
Black river falls park, WI dells (tourist trap).  Lots of alphabet roads in sauk cty if you like "fun" driving.  Ft McCoy has an okay museum, half fixed vehicle displays, other half about ww2 pow camp.  Tomah has the only long johns silvers in 220 mile radius.

If you're a bicylist, sparta-elroy trail.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I've not seen any businesses posted for quite a while regarding CC.  Maybe that's because I wouldn't do business there anyway.  PD's, schools and courthouses are the only ones I can think of offhand.  Ft. McCoy has a decent recreational area but I'm not sure you need a military ID (active or retired) to use it.  Just need to sign in at the main gate to get on (no weapons allowed).
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
You can drink, you can fish, and you can go to church.  That's pretty much it, unless you're into cheese curds and Amish furniture.

Sparta has a good pizza shop (Slice of Chicago).
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If you like beer come up to Black River and I'll buy you at least one at our breweries tap room

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Never been, but there is some type of Guard museum at Volk Field
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:33:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billygoat69] [#8]
The Highground Veterans Memorial Park is pretty cool if you like outdoor memorials with great scenic views. The forests should be greening up pretty soon.
Also, there's a bunch of lakes close by including Petenwell and Castle Rock. I'd imagine you could have a great time getting a guide for a day.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billygoat69:
The Highground Veterans Memorial Park is pretty cool if you like outdoor memorials with great scenic views. The forests should be greening up pretty soon.
View Quote

They still posted no weapons?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NAM:

They still posted no weapons?
View Quote

Not sure. Can't say I've ever worried about it too much one way or another outside.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Roche-A-Cri park has a big rock formation you can hike around and on top of (or you could in the 70's).  It's directly East of the area you are going to be staying.

There is a lot of this type formation around where you will be but if you want to be ON one...
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By billygoat69:

Not sure. Can't say I've ever worried about it too much one way or another outside.
View Quote

"If you want to honor veterans you need to first disarm yourselves"?

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NAM:

"If you want to honor veterans you need to first disarm yourselves"?

https://i.imgur.com/hQR5Fq5.gif
View Quote

Lol I’ve only been there for our yearly work event on Veterans Day. There’s also a super nice VFW nearby.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Roche-A-Cri park has a big rock formation you can hike around and on top of (or you could in the 70's).  It's directly East of the area you are going to be staying.

https://ugc.naturalatlas.com/photos/0/52/126/52126/12gpBbFR/800.jpg?1614163583

There is a lot of this type formation around where you will be but if you want to be ON one...
View Quote
I would also recommend a walk around the State Park too.
Watch out for ground bees on the trails though.  I walked by a nest and had to run away haha.
https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/rocheacri
It's by Camp Douglas, WI.

For Sparta area there's Rudy's drive in that has decent food and after that stop in for a beer at the Beer Shop right down the street.
https://www.rudysdrivein.com/contact-sparta/
https://www.beershopsparta.com/

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#15]
You could rent an ATV or side by side and make some dust.  Jackson and Clark county have a great trail system.  People come from all over to ride here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]
All awesome suggestions.  I will definitely try to hit up some of the areas everyone mentioned.  Thank you all for your comments.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
If you like beer come up to Black River and I'll buy you at least one at our breweries tap room

View Quote

@Kuraki

Sand Creek?

I haven't checked it out yet, but I'm always tempted to swing in when I head to town.  I had no idea they were the one's that brewed Oscar's Stout until now, guess I'll definitely have to swing by.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RedSev13:
All awesome suggestions.  I will definitely try to hit up some of the areas everyone mentioned.  Thank you all for your comments.
View Quote

If you plan on doing anything in the woods, just watch, so far the ticks have been horrible this year.

I've got about 80 acres 30 minutes north of Tomah.  It's all wooded but if you nee a place to go do some shooting you could swing out there and blast away, but you would want to bathe in Deet first or the mosquitos will carry you away.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Towely:

@Kuraki

Sand Creek?

I haven't checked it out yet, but I'm always tempted to swing in when I head to town.  I had no idea they were the one's that brewed Oscar's Stout until now, guess I'll definitely have to swing by.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Towely:

@Kuraki

Sand Creek?

Yep that's them. They've got a few I like.  Let me know if you're gonna!
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#20]
By Towely:

If you plan on doing anything in the woods, just watch, so far the ticks have been horrible this year.

I've got about 80 acres 30 minutes north of Tomah.  It's all woodedbut if you nee a place to go do some shooting you could swing out there and blast away, but you would want to bathe in Deet first or the mosquitos will carry you away.
View Quote

That is good info to know.  I will be outside pretty much all day every day for work. I will be coming from south GA before I come to WI so I plan on buying stock in bugspray.  

If I get the time for some blasting I may have to hit you up. That is a generous offer.

My wife will be up for a few days in July so I will be back to check for a good place to take her for food or something to do for a quick date night.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#21]
If you're working outside I highly recommend treating your work clothes with permethrin.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]
If you're working outside I highly recommend treating your work clothes with permethrin.
View Quote

Just looked it up.  Will try and find some.  Looks very promising
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
If you're interested in hiking and wildlife the Necedah wildlife refuge isn't far from Tomah. High odds of seeing whooping cranes-bring binoculars. I drive up a few times a season.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By shack357:
If you're interested in hiking and wildlife the Necedah wildlife refuge isn't far from Tomah. High odds of seeing whooping cranes-bring binoculars. I drive up a few times a season.
View Quote

Let me know next time you come up.  That's about 15 minutes from my new place.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Go to LaCrosse that's what we mostly did when I was stationed at Camp McCoy
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
Go to LaCrosse that's what we mostly did when I was stationed at Camp McCoy
View Quote

I took my wife to a few dinners there when she visited.  Really nice place.  I really enjoyed WI.  I never could convince my wife to move there as she hates the cold (She is a temperate weather gal from Eastern KY) but we will definitely be back to visit at some point.  Thank you everyone who replied to this.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RedSev13:

I took my wife to a few dinners there when she visited.  Really nice place.  I really enjoyed WI.  I never could convince my wife to move there as she hates the cold (She is a temperate weather gal from Eastern KY) but we will definitely be back to visit at some point.  Thank you everyone who replied to this.
View Quote

KY is awesome too. Loved my 3 years in Pulaski Co.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top