Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2018 3:25:42 AM EDT
I travel for work sometimes. If I can, I try to do 2 things: 1) try to eat at the best pizza place in town and 2) spend a half day doing non-work stuff before my flight home. Nothing crazy. Last trip I was in El Paso and I rode the tram and stopped at a place to have a burger. Good times. The question here is: what to do in Omaha with a half day? Can you see any amount of the zoo in a half day? Seems pretty big. Pose next to the 'welcome to Iowa' sign for a selfie? Any/all advice from the natives appreciated...especially on the pizza front. Trip Advisor and Google maps can steer you wrong sometimes...
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The zoo would be a good idea.  Keep in mind, the College World Series starts soon so the city will be much more packed than usual, including the zoo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
This trip will be at the very end of August, hopefully the place isn't toooooo busy during that time frame, because busy or not I'm going!
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont live in Omaha so I can't speak on pizza joints, but even a half day at the zoo is well worth it! I haven't been in years and they have added a bunch of stuff since then!

Also if you are into aerospace/military airplanes you should go to the SAC museum near Ashland. Its about a 30 min drive west on i80 from the zoo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You can see a lot of the zoo in 1/2 day.
There are several good pizza places. I like La Casa.
https://lacasapizzaria.net/
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, thanks! It looks like I may be making a second trip there sometime in July, so maybe I can hit the SAC museum and the zoo, that'd be great.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
IF you really enjoy zoos, then you should probably go since the Omaha zoo is very good. It wouldn't be my choice though.

I would prefer the SAC museum, but it is way west from downtown.  I'd even prefer the Durham Western Heritage museum- but I'm more of a history/museum type.

A couple of pizza places I like, that are fairly close to downtown are Pitch at 50th and Underwood or La Casa near 44th and Leavenworth (although I haven't been there in a while)

I think Omaha is a nice place to live, but not too exciting to visit, IMO
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife loves zoos, so my current plan is to hit the SAC museum in July and the zoo in August. Should be a good time. I doubt I would like NE winter's much, but I'm glad I'll get the chance to visit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I think Brick Oven Pizza at 72nd and Jones has the best pizza in Omaha by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]
copy that, I'll have to check that one out...
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I will second that on Brick Oven. I stopped there once and thought the pizza was great. The place is a complete dive though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If the Storm Chasers (AAA affiliate of the Kansas City Royals) are in town while you are here; you could catch a ball game.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Not a baseball fan, but I do appreciate the suggestion!

Found 2 other pizza places on Google maps, Pitch (wanna try their idea of a taco pizza), and Orsi's Italian Bakery and Pizzeria. Anyone tried either one of those places? Brick oven is #1 on my list, but I need a couple others in my pizza quest.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I was underwhelmed by Pitch but my wife liked it.  Mamas pizza is pretty darn good, Orsi is a good choice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Sitting in Brick Oven Pizzeria waiting for my #2 to be ready. BBQ, grilled, chicken, onions, bacon, pavalone...should be a damn good pie. Went with hand tosses crust. We'll see how it goes. I was all excited about Pitch and their weird  charizo pizza thing, but there were LOTS of google reviews complaining of bad service and long waits. No time for that tonight. My day started at 3:15am...I wanna get my pie and head to the hotel. Might try pitch tomorrow or the next day if I can get out there a little earlier in the day. if I'm going to go to a 'hip' place I at least want to avoid people that go to hip places.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Piezons I'm told is good for pizza.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sitting in Brick Oven Pizzeria waiting for my #2 to be ready. BBQ, grilled, chicken, onions, bacon, pavalone...should be a damn good pie. Went with hand tosses crust. We'll see how it goes. I was all excited about Pitch and their weird  charizo pizza thing, but there were LOTS of google reviews complaining of bad service and long waits. No time for that tonight. My day started at 3:15am...I wanna get my pie and head to the hotel. Might try pitch tomorrow or the next day if I can get out there a little earlier in the day. if I'm going to go to a 'hip' place I at least want to avoid people that go to hip places.
View Quote
So what did you think?  Did I over sell it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Bringing this back from the dead for two reasons:

1) I'm headed back to Omaha for the next couple of days. I'm going to try pitch and one other pizza joint on this trip. Any final recommendations beyond those already made?

2) I went to both Brick Oven and Orsi's on my last trip. Of the two, I preferred brick oven, though orsi's did have really good sauce and was all-around tasty as well. Brick oven is kind of a dive, but it's like street vendor food... possibly in violation of a few local codes, but great tasting grub.

I didn't make it to the SAC museum last time, or the zoo...work intervened. Gonna try to hit one of them on this trip. Prolly the zoo, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll try to hit Mama's tomorrow. I had the Charizo Pie from Pitch tonight and it was a damn good pizza. I was in the mood for something quirky/different and it hit the spot. The bar scene isn't my thing, so it's not my kinda place, but if I lived in Omaha I'd phone in orders for this place and pick 'em up. Good grub.

In my experience, bad things tend to happen at night, so generally when I travel for work I do my tourist stuff early in the day and then work from the hotel at night. Husker fans can have the bars. Good point about the zoo and the holiday though, prolly gonna be packed. If I go, I'll try to be there when it opens.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 1:50:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok, Mama's was pretty disappointing. I tried both the buffalo chicken and the all meat, I know a lot of food stuff is subjective, but I'd grade it a C or C+

Gonna try La Casa tomorrow if I have time before I leave...
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#21]
In la casa now...I wasn't sure if I wanted to go hamburger or another pizza. The waitress convinced me to go hamburger with both cheeses...said it's the most popular menu item, so we'll see how this goes.

I need some food after 3-4 hrs of walking at the zoo. The desert dome thing in the zoo was awesome, and so was the swamp thing and the gorillas. Elephants we're MIA. Indian rino and red panda were cool, never seen those in person before. Komodo was a little baby one and I couldn't see anything but his snout sticking out, so that was a bummer. No hippos, which surprised me, but overall a pretty fantastic zoo. Kudos Omaha!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top