Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2019 6:11:04 AM EDT
S0084A has been moved along by the Senate Judiciary Committee and is being heard on the Senate floor June 5th.

This will make all 80% receivers illegal unless a unique serial number is engraved by a licensed dealer.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Worse than that! If you have an antique that was not required to be serialed, you will now have a ghost gun as this is written.

I talked with Senator De La Cruz yesterday, she voted against this. She told me to call Ruggieros office, and start emailing and calling every house rep, and let them know everything wrong with this bill.

Hell if you buy a 3d printed mag well for a Glock, it will now be illegal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Grab your yellow shirt and, if you can, stand with the rest of us in the gallery of the State House 4pm to 6pm today.

The Senate is going to vote on S84 today.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Ill be there
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#4]
10 yellow shirts mixed in with a sea of loud, angry women.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
People have got to get out of work.

I already used 2 early outs earlier in the year for this shit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
There is an abortion bill being heard and the sea of angry women are for that bill.

The majority of yellow shirts are on the 3rd floor. More are slowly trickling in
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Sheena Lashutu (sp?) from 12 news is here and looks much, much better in person.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to leave at 5 and there were a few more supporters there.

It didn't do any good though as Facebook groups are reporting the bill passed through the Senate. We could have had 10,000 yellow shirts there and it wouldn't have made any difference. Any previously held gun bill that comes out of committee gets passed.

So now the House has to vote on it (or their own version) and then it's off to the governor's desk for her to sign.

So 80% receivers are going to be illegal here in RI soon ... unless we barrage the House until they come to their constitutional senses.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had to leave at 5 and there were a few more supporters there.

It didn't do any good though as Facebook groups are reporting the bill passed through the Senate. We could have had 10,000 yellow shirts there and it wouldn't have made any difference. Any previously held gun bill that comes out of committee gets passed.

So now the House has to vote on it (or their own version) and then it's off to the governor's desk for her to sign.

So 80% receivers are going to be illegal here in RI soon ... unless we barrage the House until they come to their constitutional senses.
View Quote
Yes it passed, however read it. All guns protected by the GCA of 68 are good. Which means your 80 percenters are still good, as the GCA covers self manufactured firearms.

The bill literally out laws 3d printed guns and that's it from the reading.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:50:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Was there another amended bill that was voted on and passed? The amended bill on the assembly's web page reads the same as the one linked above and specifically mentions "ghost guns" and what constitutes a "ghost gun".
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was there another amended bill that was voted on and passed? The amended bill on the assembly's web page reads the same as the one linked above and specifically mentions "ghost guns" and what constitutes a "ghost gun".
View Quote
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText19/SenateText19/S0084Aaa.pdf

read part 18.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText19/SenateText19/S0084Aaa.pdf

read part 18.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

read part 18.
It reads that a “ghost gun” is ANY firearm or receiver with out a manufacturer serial number to be illegal. So any non-numbered pre68’s are considered “ghost guns”....am I wrong?
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It reads that a “ghost gun” is ANY firearm or receiver with out a manufacturer serial number to be illegal. So any non-numbered pre68’s are considered “ghost guns”....am I wrong?
View Quote
Yes read it again. "It does not include a firearm that has been rendered permanently inoperable, or a firearm that is not required to have a serial number in accordance of the Federal Guntrol Act of 1968"
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes read it again. "It does not include a firearm that has been rendered permanently inoperable, or a firearm that is not required to have a serial number in accordance of the Federal Guntrol Act of 1968"
View Quote
Sgwlower, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't help, but read it differently.

The GCA of 1968 does not cover newly manufactured firearms and 80%receivers that are milled are newly constructed firearms.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]
"The law also required that all newly manufactured firearms produced by licensed manufacturers in the United States and imported into the United States bear a serial number. Firearms manufactured prior to the Gun Control Act and firearms manufactured by non-FFLs remain exempt from the serial number requirement. Defacement or removal of the serial number (if present) is a felony offense."

From the GCA 68
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I just found what I was missing.

I'm paraphrasing from a wikipedia link ,
but "firearms manufactured by non-FFL's are exempt" .

It still doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling and I would hate to be the test case.

And I thought the state language about riding around with loaded magazines was pitiful.

On edit: We were apparently typing at the same time
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#18]
When they Incorporated the GCA of 68, they basically made the law useless.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I have to apologize sgwlower ...

You essentially typed the same thing I did three times but for whatever reason nothing clicked for me until I went back and reread the thread just now.

It's been an interesting day
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#20]
No need to apologize my friend! Trying to read through this shit, and trying to understand it, is like trying to find the best recipe for polished cat shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top