Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2021 7:06:39 PM EDT
Is ridiculous.

Need a Savage barrel cut and threaded. Call me crazy, but I want a quote first instead of just handing it over and going home.

Emailed 144 Tactical, since it's just up the street from me. No response. Went in, and the kid working didn't understand what I was asking. Finally wrote down my contact info, what I wanted done, said the guy would call me. Big surprise, never got a call, text, or email.

Went to Dixie Precision. Guy said owner has the rona, no work is being done, and even when he gets back it will be a long wait while they catch up and are not even giving prices out.

Called Guns n Gear. The guy said I have to bring the rifle up there, when the 'smith shows up he will call me and tell me how much. I asked when will the smith be there so my rifle isn't just sitting in their shop. He doesn't know, the smith comes in when he wants to. No price given, that is up to the gunsmith.

I mean, holy shit. Is there anyone in the central ms area that can give a price and lead time for cutting a few inches off of a barrel and threading it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
No, there isn't.  The guy at Dixie Precision passed away.

Ricky at Bryant Machine shop might do it, although he's mainly doing AR stuff.

You may have to ship it to Colabro Cody.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By miker84:
No, there isn't.  The guy at Dixie Precision passed away.

Ricky at Bryant Machine shop might do it, although he's mainly doing AR stuff.

You may have to ship it to Colabro Cody.
View Quote

Forgot about Ricky.

I had talked to Cody about it, but was trying not to ship.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Try the guys at Jimmy Primo's range or Deep South Tactical in Pelahatchie.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 11:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RUM] [#4]
Bill’s custom Automatics in Shelby, maybe a bit North for you but Tim does excellent work.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:07:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Vance Moore at Whynot gunsmith does great work. Meridian area.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bulletandgrunt:
Vance Moore at Whynot gunsmith does great work. Meridian area.
View Quote

I'd be interested in this, thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Bill Gunsmith in Utica ms or Mike speed shop in Purvis.  Both have been around forever and do great work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Billy Tierce in Utica.  Or Teirce.  I forget how to spell it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:16:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LoudLyle] [#9]
I know this is a old thread but I talked to Tater at the Range in Gluckstat and he gave me an exact quote to thread a barrel . Also quoted 2,different prices based on me disassembling the gun or him doing it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Guns N Gear acted like their smithing prices were top secret when I was in there recently. I won't go back there. Downrange Gun and Tactical in Clinton had no problem letting me take a picture of their price list.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Deep South in Pelahatchie does it. But I think yo I would be better off shipping it to a smith with a good reputation and quick turn around times. I’m not impressed with how MS gunsmiths seem to think having a gun for 6 months is ok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top