Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2018 11:42:28 PM EDT
Yeah, it's the day after and we're still reeling from the results.  The only concession we have is that all the statewide tax measures failed.  I'm stuck with property tax increases in Douglas County, but I'm going to have to deal with it for now.  The real problem is the politicians now elected in to office.

Governor, State House, State Senate, State AG, Secretary of State, State Treasurer... all D's!

Complete Colorado reposted this article from the Colorado Sun and made it clear the real fight is just getting started.

https://coloradosun.com/2018/11/07/prop-112-fails-oil-gas-fight-statehouse/

Prop 112 fails, but big vote total signals oil and gas setbacks will be headed to the statehouse
The ballot initiative was voted down 57 percent to 43 percent, but it garnered more than 825,000 votes — a potentially powerful statement to Jared Polis, the new Democratic governor, and to a now Democratic-controlled legislature...
Governor-elect Polis backed a setback ballot measure in 2012 that was eventually withdrawn. He opposed 112 during the campaign, but said he has said he supports a measure of local control in oil and gas issues. The state has primacy in regulating oil and gas operations.

The all-Democratic statehouse may offer a chance to move on some of the issues that have been “bottled up,” said State Rep. Mike Foote, D-Lafayette, who in the last two years sponsored seven bills focusing on such issues such as setbacks from schools and buttressing local control over oil and gas operations.

“We know the political environment has changed and we look forward to many conversations with the governor and leaders of both parties,” Haley said. “We know the new governor supports local control. We just don’t know what that means.”
View Quote
I've read the group therapy posts here and in GD about abandoning Colorado and they are pretty depressing.

My question/proposal is: Can we get something prepared along the lines of the 2013 gun control recall elections, WHEN the state legislature makes its move?  Whether it's on a gun control item or if they try to push a prop 112 through the legislature and around the backs of Coloradoans or something else, there's already proof (and a warning they won't care about) that recalls work.

If they do a legislative 112, might we get the industry on board, supporting the efforts?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
“We know the political environment has changed and we look forward to many conversations with the governor and leaders of both parties,” Haley said. “We know the new governor supports local control. We just don’t know what that means.”

At this point they are in complete control.  They don't give a rat's furry butt what the minority party has to say if it doesn't parrot their utopian views.  Hopefully Trump can get the judicial seats filled before the lawsuits reach the circuit level.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
We shall see...next g show shall be interesting
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the bar to recalls got raised after 2013. It'll take signatures totalling 25% of the votes cast to elect a legislator, just to force a recall election.

I'm stuck here until graduation in any case, so this thread is relevant to my interests for at least the next two years.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Red Flag, "Assault" weapons ban, anything negatively modifying magazine capacity, concealed carry, etc., Oil and gas local control or Prop 112, overturning or weakening TABOR; all need to be met with the possibility of organizing recall elections.

If it comes to it, I'll help out when are where I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top