Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2020 9:31:59 PM EDT
It is called Illusions. My daughters and I went through it yesterday. Although the forest was packed with 3-day weekend campers, we didn't see another person there. I think it may have something to do with the fact that a trip requires ropes, wetsuits, and harnesses and 1100' of elevation gain in less than a mile to get out.

Documented for posterity...

Canyoneering Illusions Canyon

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
first thing that popped into my mind is you shoulda chosen "Ca plane pour mois" as the background music.....
(if you don't get the connection....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=107VImBaFsM  )
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
first thing that popped into my mind is you shoulda chosen "Ca plane pour mois" as the background music.....
(if you don't get the connection....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=107VImBaFsM  )
View Quote
Ha! I like it! I have my song for my next video
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent!  How was the water?  

Have not done that one and it looks gorgeous!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Excellent!  How was the water?  

Have not done that one and it looks gorgeous!!
View Quote
It was really chilly but this time of year is the best time to go because all the potholes are full. A month from now and the canyon becomes much trickier.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It was really chilly but this time of year is the best time to go because all the potholes are full. A month from now and the canyon becomes much trickier.
View Quote

LOL I've had issues with potholes that were full!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Stupid question:  How do you recover your hardware once you rappel to the bottom?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:27:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Stupid question:  How do you recover your hardware once you rappel to the bottom?
View Quote

First you do your homework so you know what you need to bring along with contingencies..

Sometimes you sacrifice a few dollars worth of webbing and create an anchor, other times there are anchors that someone else has put in, usually steel bolts with d-rings attached.

After that you rig up what is called a retrievable rope.. the one ive used the most is called the Biner Block.. you run half your rope through the anchor, then throw both ends down.. then you make it so the rope cant get pulled through by tying a clove hitch around another carabiner.. when when you hit the bottom you pull on the other half of the rope and bring it home to you.

Photo needs to be updated.. imho.. the classic figure 8 rappel device is like the worst one for the job while canyoneering... you want to be able to dial up the friction you need and there are now a bunch of devices that do this much better.  I use a black diamond ATC-XP, still not the best, but the Petzl Piranah and the Sterling ATS are a few of the popular ones.. and there are many more on the market now than when I was into it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:21:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought the song was totally appropriate.  Plus, you can't get any more State 48 than the Refreshments!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I thought the song was totally appropriate.  Plus, you can't get any more State 48 than the Refreshments!
View Quote
Bingo!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice, thanks

part of the state I haven't explored enough
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I wasn't really commenting on some song played in the background of a video of a canyon .... the canyon in the video reminded me of a movie about a canyon that had some other song in its soundtrack.....

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I imagine you have to climb back out. Is there a trick to that other than grab the rope and climb?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I imagine you have to climb back out. Is there a trick to that other than grab the rope and climb?
View Quote
This hike has a few options. You can do it as a loop hike where you park the vehicle at the top, hike down through the canyon, and then hike back out a steep canyon that runs parallel without all the drop offs. This is what we did. That is usually what happens in canyoneering but there are other ways. You can also leave a 2nd vehicle at the bottom and shuttle cars or in more rare cases, leave ropes and then accend back the way you came. I have done around 75 canyons and have only ever had to accend ropes once to get back out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Whats your favorite canyons in all that you have done?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]
It is hard to name one or two but for just the sheer beauty Illusions and Pine Creek and the Subway are hard to beat. I really like Mystery. It is kinda just a mix of everything. As far as AZ canyons, for water canyons Canyon Creek and Smores (Frye Canyon) are tons of fun and Parker Canyon when it is flowing. The sandstone canyons in Oak Creek and West Clear Creek are really cool too.

As far as just sheer excitement it is hard to beat Insomnia and the 320' rappel

How about yours?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is hard to name one or two but for just the sheer beauty Illusions and Pine Creek and the Subway are hard to beat. I really like Mystery. It is kinda just a mix of everything. As far as AZ canyons, for water canyons Canyon Creek and Smores (Frye Canyon) are tons of fun and Parker Canyon when it is flowing. The sandstone canyons in Oak Creek and West Clear Creek are really cool too.

As far as just sheer excitement it is hard to beat Insomnia and the 320' rappel

How about yours?
View Quote

Ive only done about a dozen or so and some multiple times.. but I really really enjoyed James Canyon.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#17]
One of these days I will get down into James Canyon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#18]
A biner block would normally be used with a light weight pull cord to do full rope length rappels without the weight of a second full diameter (half, twin, or single) rope.  If your rope is threaded through the anchor at the mid-point you might as well rap on both strands for better friction and control and less risk of the block snagging something on the pull down.  

Rapping on two cords knotted together there’s always a risk of even a knot snagging, let alone a knot with a biner.  Knotting cords of two different diameters you also need to leave long knot tails if your bend is a flat overhand.  Other bends are more snag prone.

Of all the vertical rope disciplines (rock/ice/mountain, caving, canyoneering) canyoneering tends to have the sketchiest anchors and the worst risk management strategies.  The best technique is a local with knowledge of current conditions. Canyons can have lots of terrain traps and hidden objective dangers behind the fun and easy mode.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice, thanks

part of the state I haven't explored enough
View Quote

Same here. I've been all around that area in every direction, but never got in close to that.

Cool video, OP.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A biner block would normally be used with a light weight pull cord to do full rope length rappels without the weight of a second full diameter (half, twin, or single) rope.  If your rope is threaded through the anchor at the mid-point you might as well rap on both strands for better friction and control and less risk of the block snagging something on the pull down.  

Rapping on two cords knotted together there's always a risk of even a knot snagging, let alone a knot with a biner.  Knotting cords of two different diameters you also need to leave long knot tails if your bend is a flat overhand.  Other bends are more snag prone.

Of all the vertical rope disciplines (rock/ice/mountain, caving, canyoneering) canyoneering tends to have the sketchiest anchors and the worst risk management strategies.  The best technique is a local with knowledge of current conditions. Canyons can have lots of terrain traps and hidden objective dangers behind the fun and easy mode.
View Quote
That sure is the truth about sketchy anchors. I rappelled off of a bush one time . It was backed up by a meat anchor though. Been a few times where my kids or buddies rappelled off of me. Don't have an anchor?...the fat guy works just as well...Hope you can downclimb...haha.

As far as rapping double line, I do it occasionally but there is actually a legitimate reason for rappelling single line and that is for rescue situations. You can do so much more with a single line vs double line. Someone gets hair or a pack strap stuck in a rappel device? Convert the biner block to a lower. You can't do the double line rappeling. Stick a rope? Accending single line is a piece of cake..double line accending sucks with prussics. Can't see the bottom of the rappel to know if the rope is touching? Set up a lower and lower the first rappeller to the bottom to be sure. All of these things are next to impossible on a double line. So there is actually a method behind the madness of single line rapping in canyoneering.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top