Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 6:51:58 PM EDT
Doing some basic research on the The Villages retirement community.  On the surface looks like a potential area to move to and stay busy.

I am divorced, plan on buying a home and well getting involved in what they have to offer. I will take advantage of spending a week there at one of the properties to check it out further.  

Do any of you have thoughts about this community or others to consider?  I have no clue which "village" I would move to at this time although I understand the differences in county property taxes and Bonds with new versus older homes.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The Villages is quite nice for the retired crowd. Tons of activities, clubs, etc.

I don't live in The Villages but I've worked Law Enforcement in The Villages for the past eighteen years. The sex crap is BS.

One great thing is you will always meet a Who's who in just about any career field or sport you can think of. While not as common as eighteen years ago, I enjoyed meeting WW II vets. I met neighbors one time who were POW's... one shot down in a P-51 and the other in a B-17... how cool to be standing there talking with these guys.

It's growing leaps and bounds with no end in sight... a source of contention between some Villages as they feel the bigger The Villages gets, the less "personality" it has.

If you like crowds, activities, active lifestyles, clubs, dancing, dining out, golf, etc., The Villages won't disappoint.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I have read where the VA there supports quite a large population of vets.  I do agree with some of the comments in that it is growing at a rapid rate so maybe it lose some of the mystic.  That is why I think finding the right location is important so I only buy once.  I have read where a lot of the people move within the community up to three times.  

The only dating downside is I have dated much younger women than myself so this 55+ restriction may hamper my "fun".  Of course I am not bound by the limits of the community to explore my options.  But starting up golf again, playing some cards, goofing off for awhile sounds good on paper.  Work life these past 5 years has been horribly stressful and a personal life does not exist further hampered by Covid.  

Only downside is cost of heath insurance since I am a few years away from 65.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The new villages within The Villages are south of Rte 44.They are selling about 1100 new homes a month, new homes are nice but you are hit with all the "costs" - bond, amenity fees, increased taxes. A lot of people still accept that to be in a new area where everybody is new, no cliques to worry about. There is no town center planned for the new section, so if you decide on something too far away from Brownwood town center, golf cart trip won't cut it. This will be especially true of the Okahumpka/Leesburg area across the Turnpike and the southernmost are near Sumterville.

Villages still conservative, although only about 65% -- few years ago was 85%. A number of gun shops and ranges, with Shooter's World golf cart accessible inside the Villages. With the planned growth, about another 50,000 on top of the current 120,000, many of the popular clubs/groups/organizations [3000+ of them] are "full" and having trouble finding facilities to use. Traffic gets pretty bad during snowbird months since there are a lot of seasonal Village people. Also there are a lot of under 55 women, many looking for financially comfortable men. Rentals are not age enforced, plus the Villages is not a gated community anywhere within it so all can come ang go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#5]
PM inbound
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am divorced, plan on buying a home and well getting involved in what they have to offer.
View Quote

Oh, you'll get "involved" all right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
From a crime aspect, this is what I see are the problems to be aware of...

Scams- because The Villages obviously has a wealthy elderly population, the place is ripe for scams, usually telephonic in nature. Regardless of being from a trusting generation, who in the world thinks paying back taxes with I-Tune cards is legit? Yes, that happens often. Every day we deal with victims of financial scams, some in 10's of thousands of dollars... life ruining results... sad.

Civil Issues- lots of older men want company, they hook up with much younger girls who bleed them dry financially, take their cars, and max out their credit cards. Family demands some police action, but the "victim" is often a more than willing participant.

Problem Children- LOTS of wealthy Villagers move down here and their ADULT kids follow. Drug and alcohol dependent kids without two nickels to rub together. No love like a mother's love... so Jr. or Sally either live with Ma & Pa or get set up in their own place in The Villages. Well... in short order these adult "failures to launch" as we call them, meet up with other like failures and problems develop. Or Ma & Pa go up north for three months and Jr. has turned Ma & Pa's expensive home into a flop house.

People Living Beyond Their Means- Lots of pressure to keep up with the Jones' around The Villages. People get over their head financially and marital problems are the result. LOTS of divorce and bickering traced back to poor financial decisions.

The above problems are just scratching the surface of the not so well know problems in The Villages... but this is not exclusive to The Villages. Any place where you have 120+K folks living together you will have a cross-cut section of society no matter what the filter used.  

I don't like crowds... but if I did and were looking for a retirement place to consider, despite the above posted info, I'd certainly consider The Villages. If you live a good honest life, none of the above will really effect you. Lots of great restaurants and perhaps some of the best medical care facilities in the state.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From a crime aspect, this is what I see are the problems to be aware of...

Scams- because The Villages obviously has a wealthy elderly population, the place is ripe for scams, usually telephonic in nature. Regardless of being from a trusting generation, who in the world thinks paying back taxes with I-Tune cards is legit? Yes, that happens often. Every day we deal with victims of financial scams, some in 10's of thousands of dollars... life ruining results... sad.

Civil Issues- lots of older men want company, they hook up with much younger girls who bleed them dry financially, take their cars, and max out their credit cards. Family demands some police action, but the "victim" is often a more than willing participant.

Problem Children- LOTS of wealthy Villagers move down here and their ADULT kids follow. Drug and alcohol dependent kids without two nickels to rub together. No love like a mother's love... so Jr. or Sally either live with Ma & Pa or get set up in their own place in The Villages. Well... in short order these adult "failures to launch" as we call them, meet up with other like failures and problems develop. Or Ma & Pa go up north for three months and Jr. has turned Ma & Pa's expensive home into a flop house.

People Living Beyond Their Means- Lots of pressure to keep up with the Jones' around The Villages. People get over their head financially and marital problems are the result. LOTS of divorce and bickering traced back to poor financial decisions.

The above problems are just scratching the surface of the not so well know problems in The Villages... but this is not exclusive to The Villages. Any place where you have 120+K folks living together you will have a cross-cut section of society no matter what the filter used.  

I don't like crowds... but if I did and were looking for a retirement place to consider, despite the above posted info, I'd certainly consider The Villages. If you live a good honest life, none of the above will really effect you. Lots of great restaurants and perhaps some of the best medical care facilities in the state.
View Quote

Bob hit everything on the head.  My BIL is an LT in the Village's Fire Department.  He gets many slip and falls of course, but a high amount of ODs as well, with those adult kids living with their parents.  I believe they do have strict controls on how long adult kids can live there, but it's not followed, nor enforced I believe.

My friend just bought a place there, after doing the week long "decision" trip.  He loves it, and is having the time of his retired life.  Doesn't regret the decision a bit.  Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again to all replies.  

I have a lot of research ahead of me which includes youtube watching.  I think what is critical for me is picking the right location for the home.  Which of course will require a visit to narrow it down.  I don't play much golf but will to some extent.  Saw a video where the guy played 230+ rounds of golf last year.  I will likely play 10 or so although I do enjoy hitting the practice green and range.  

I have narrowed down the max price I want to pay for a home and the associated costs of living (taxes, bonds, etc).  I don't get caught up in keeping up with the jones as I could care less who has what.  Plus don't have the expense of a wife to impact my budget.  I think the biggest additional upfront expense will be a cart which I will buy used once I get there.  Not going to pay $15k for a fancy new cart.  Don't mind getting my hands dirty to keep an older cart running well.  I don't have a motorcycle but may consider one depending on the area I get to.  Use for those pool trips or visiting one of my many future ex gfs.....

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top