Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2018 12:44:02 PM EDT
Paying for something I had nothing to do with.

I had put a Mosin I ran across on lay away at a Pawn shop a couple towns away when I was passing through.

Went back to pick it up, paid my money, and  " Oh, there's a three day waiting period due to the new law."

Threw down my CCWP; " Not for ME!"

Nope. Everybody. They are not following the law, but " Playing it safe". Company Policy.

Now I have to drive down there again.

Assholes and idiots costing me time and money.

Their Shop, Their rules and all that......
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have demanded my $ back & walked out. Then went to rededit, faceboom, yelp, & anywhere else & bish up a storm.  I wonder if legally they can do that with a license since state law says there's no wait....
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would have demanded my $ back & walked out. Then went to rededit, faceboom, yelp, & anywhere else & bish up a storm.  I wonder if legally they can do that with a license since state law says there's no wait....
View Quote
They can do anything they want.

They will not get much repeat business or very good word of mouth advertising by giving customers the run-around however.  The new law is clear, I don't know that they are afraid of.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
It pisses me off, but I'm picking up a pristine Type 44 for $200, which I really like but will probably flip towards a Finnish 91/30 which is what I want.

It's $150-200 undervalued, so suck it up butter-cup and make the smart play.

Just have to play by new rules, for stupid reasons.

Every single school shooter planned well in advance and accumulated weapons over time. A three day waiting period has zero effect on the problem.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It pisses me off, but I'm picking up a pristine Type 44 for $200, which I really like but will probably flip towards a Finnish 91/30 which is what I want.

Every single school shooter planned well in advance and accumulated weapons over time. A three day waiting period has zero effect on the problem.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195613/757DC2BB-27D9-4E09-A656-15AF906435C8-486380.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195613/757DC2BB-27D9-4E09-A656-15AF906435C8-486380.JPG
Sweet, I had one for awhile. My shoulder hurts just looking at the pic
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If you actually had to wait the 3 days, it starts at purchase and I think purchase started when you first put money down on the gun.

The original justification of a waiting period was a cooling off period so people didn't get mad and go out and get a gun.  When you first put money down should count as when the cooling off period started.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
It does, it gets them asshats re-elected
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm in Broward, so we had 5 day for years, of course CWL exempt. The issue really is that you're playing by the pawn shops rules, not the law as written. Stupid reasons for the change, stupid reasons for a dealer not being able to read a law...
Years ago when I worked at a dealer, the average time to crime between first purchase and use in crime was 6 years, now it's 10 years. It's just sooooooo dumb.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you actually had to wait the 3 days, it starts at purchase and I think purchase started when you first put money down on the gun.
View Quote
If he'd filled out the 4473, that would have started it, but he didn't need to at the time so I assume he didn't.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't know the bill went into effect already .
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
for a 'want', not a 'need', playing by their shop rules is stupid.  I'd take my custom elsewhere.  Be nice to know the name of the shop involved.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
In the end it all boils down to "your money your rules."
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Carry Mo Money.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
it has NOT.  Oct 1
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If he'd filled out the 4473, that would have started it, but he didn't need to at the time so I assume he didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe that the law says the 3 days starts upon purchase not upon completing a 4473.

There are a number of shops that will do a the background check and transfer for a gun bought on the internet and they all consider the "purchase" when you paid the on-line seller and not when you come in to pick it up.  What's nice about that is you can get the gun right away as you already waited the 3 days (which is really 5) while the gun is in transit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
it has NOT.  Oct 1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it has NOT.  Oct 1
The "bump-stock" ban goes into effect on October 1, 2018.

As far as I know everything else went into effect immediately.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cruz waited Five Days to pick up his rifle.

Each County can amendment the waiting period up to five days for long gun and handgun per the State Constitution. The making it three days across the state was bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I started to detail the clusterfuck it turned into, but it would bore you to tears. Two days to get everything straightened out, in the end they let my walk out with the rifle after I paid it off.

According to the manager, corporate had informed them that day that CCW holders were good to go, but everyone else was 5 days now.

Seminole has not enacted a 5 day waiting period to my knowledge.

A pain in the ass, but in the end I got the Rifle for a little over $200, pretty decent price.

Value Pawn in Longwood. Not the sharpest bunch.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The "bump-stock" ban goes into effect on October 1, 2018.

As far as I know everything else went into effect immediately.
View Quote
Yeah I didn't know that. I though it was all Oct 1.  That just blows.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Just a general FYI, the 3-day wait isn't a 72 hour wait. It is 3 days from the day NICS is contacted beginning the following day. So the day NICS (FDLE) is contacted doesn't count nor does the day you pick it up nor do weekends or holidays. So it works out to be 5-7 days depending on what day NICS is called. There is a little chart we dealers use to keep it straight.
Best to get your CWP to avoid the wait BUT if you have taken the FL Hunters Safety course and have a hunting license, no 3-day wait. If you are trading a gun, no 3-day wait. LE exempt from 3-day wait. I think there is another exception but I need to log into FDLE to check for certain.
Asinine, the whole damn thing & it won't do shit to stop the next nut job. They know it too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just a general FYI, the 3-day wait isn't a 72 hour wait. It is 3 days from the day NICS is contacted beginning the following day. So the day NICS (FDLE) is contacted doesn't count nor does the day you pick it up nor do weekends or holidays. So it works out to be 5-7 days depending on what day NICS is called. There is a little chart we dealers use to keep it straight.
Best to get your CWP to avoid the wait BUT if you have taken the FL Hunters Safety course and have a hunting license, no 3-day wait. If you are trading a gun, no 3-day wait. LE exempt from 3-day wait. I think there is another exception but I need to log into FDLE to check for certain.
Asinine, the whole damn thing & it won't do shit to stop the next nut job. They know it too.
View Quote
The problem is that the average  shmoe behind the counter isn't going to give a crap enough to school himself chapter and verse on the exemptions, and most of the corporate lawyers are setting policy to protect the seller from liability.

So they are taking the safety first ( for them) route and ignoring the exemptions by setting " Company policy".
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#21]
So.
Hunting license -no wait
Hunters ed- no wait
Cwp clasd/license- no wait.

Correct.

Until company policy gets involved.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So.
Hunting license -no wait
Hunters ed- no wait
Cwp clasd/license- no wait.

Correct.

Until company policy gets involved.
View Quote
But only if the customers allow it by refusing to walk away from that sort of extra legal nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I believe that the law says the 3 days starts upon purchase not upon completing a 4473.

There are a number of shops that will do a the background check and transfer for a gun bought on the internet and they all consider the "purchase" when you paid the on-line seller and not when you come in to pick it up.  What's nice about that is you can get the gun right away as you already waited the 3 days (which is really 5) while the gun is in transit.
View Quote
I've heard of a few that do that, and don't doubt that plenty do. Myself, I have a CWL so it hasn't mattered to me. When I worked at a shop years ago though, and most of the shops I deal with, you do not sign and date a legal document (4473) with a date other than the current. Section A says "certification date" and section C says "If the transfer of the firearm(s) takes place on a different day from the date that the transferee/buyer signed Section A, the transferee/buyer must complete Section C immediately prior to the transfer of the firearm(s)."

So if you buy something on the 1st, come in on the 10th, you're going to write "1st" in A, then "10th" in C and pretend that they were done on different days? I guess you could fill out the form, date A the 10th, then leave a notice inside the form with a purchase date to show that the person "waited" from the 1st.

Obviously of course, the wait is a local thing, not a federal thing, so not ATF's problem if you don't follow the wait. Piss off your inspector and they might start looking for reasons to mess with you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When I worked at a shop years ago though, and most of the shops I deal with, you do not sign and date a legal document (4473) with a date other than the current. Section A says "certification date" and section C says "If the transfer of the firearm(s) takes place on a different day from the date that the transferee/buyer signed Section A, the transferee/buyer must complete Section C immediately prior to the transfer of the firearm(s)."

So if you buy something on the 1st, come in on the 10th, you're going to write "1st" in A, then "10th" in C and pretend that they were done on different days? I guess you could fill out the form, date A the 10th, then leave a notice inside the form with a purchase date to show that the person "waited" from the 1st.
View Quote
Using your example, the buyer dates the form in A on the 1st. If NICS is contacted on the 1st, the dealer fills that in where it says Date NICS contacted. The waiting period commences. After the waiting period time expires, the buyer re-certifies nothing has changed in regards to his answers and signs & dates C for the 10th. The dealer transfers the firearm then signs & dates the form for the 10th and logs it out of the A&D on the 10th. If the person is exempt from the wait, dealer notes it on the form and there is now a check box on the FDLE webpage for each type of exemption.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#25]
This bullshit law is really going to effect gun show sales at least the dealers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Using your example, the buyer dates the form in A on the 1st. If NICS is contacted on the 1st, the dealer fills that in where it says Date NICS contacted. The waiting period commences. After the waiting period time expires, the buyer re-certifies nothing has changed in regards to his answers and signs & dates C for the 10th. The dealer transfers the firearm then signs & dates the form for the 10th and logs it out of the A&D on the 10th. If the person is exempt from the wait, dealer notes it on the form and there is now a check box on the FDLE webpage for each type of exemption.
View Quote
The question was for transfers. If you come in on the 10th, but bought online on the 1st and waited for shipping and stuff. You come in on the 10th and fill out section A, you want to right the 1st on there and backdate the form? You wouldn't have done the background check on the 1st, since the dealer didn't have your info.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The question was for transfers. If you come in on the 10th, but bought online on the 1st and waited for shipping and stuff. You come in on the 10th and fill out section A, you want to right the 1st on there and backdate the form? You wouldn't have done the background check on the 1st, since the dealer didn't have your info.
View Quote
Doesn't matter what day you purchased it online. The wait begins the day NICS is contacted for the BG check. Doesn't matter if it sits at the dealer for a week because you were out of town etc. Can't back date the form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top