Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2020 3:43:59 PM EDT
The DNR is closing the door on everything tomorrow.

The state Department of Natural Resources (DNR) today announced the closure of all DNR-managed lands to the public. The closure goes into effect tomorrow – Thursday, March 26 – and will last through at least April 8.

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/closurenews
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't close the outdoors.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is hilary Franz's email, the commissioner of public lands in wa, who made the call, if you're so inclined to tell her how you feel.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
All fishing closed. lol fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
So I can go to Fred Meyer and be surrounded by dozens of people, but kayaking on a lake and fishing by myself is too risky? What the fuck?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Bad JuJu!
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ya that's some bullshit for sure... I was planning to go this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just go, but most parks and boat launches are gated
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:35:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Drove part way up FS17/iron mountain today to get the fam out of the house. They've been cooped up since all last week. Not a soul up there except for one older mercedes car high tailing it out, lol, dont know what that was about.

Need a map that shows whats DNR and whats not
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I can go to Fred Meyer and be surrounded by dozens of people, but kayaking on a lake and fishing by myself is too risky? What the fuck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't seem like the state govt is trying to address the problem...
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Drove part way up FS17/iron mountain today to get the fam out of the house. They've been cooped up since all last week. Not a soul up there except for one older mercedes car high tailing it out, lol, dont know what that was about.

View Quote

There is an app called OnX that my buddy has.  Not too pricey for just one state.  He’s retired Army so he hunts all over and the entire US is $99/year.  I think one state only is $29/year.

OnXmaps.com
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I doubt violating that stupidity will result in anything punitive.  Even if you get stopped, you get your one free pass; "What? They didn't mention that on the news.  When did that happen?"
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go anyway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Komo reported about it last night

It's not illegal to access public lands, so pretty much do what you were going to do anyway

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/closurenews

How will this be enforced?
View Quote
We take this closure seriously and expect the public to also. Ultimately, we are counting on people to do the right thing and comply. It is important that we all abide by this closure to protect the safety of everyone. Our enforcement staff will be patrolling our landscapes. If you are found on state land, our staff will provide information about the closure and ask you to leave. Citations can be issued to individuals who refuse to leave.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might still be fishing on JBLM.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I doubt violating that stupidity will result in anything punitive.  Even if you get stopped, you get your one free pass; "What? They didn't mention that on the news.  When did that happen?"
View Quote

The thing about DNR land and the DFW cops that usually patrol them... They can seize your shit on the spot.

I'm pissed off as well here because I was about to break out the boat and take the kids spring sunfish & bass fishing. We're all here in the same house so what does it matter?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#17]
OnX is a great app. Highly recommended. Pretty sure they have a free trial too.

And yea this whole thing doesn’t make any sense; they still have staff patrolling and outside is like the easiest place to stay 6 feet from other people, so WTF?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OnX is a great app. Highly recommended. Pretty sure they have a free trial too.

And yea this whole thing doesn’t make any sense; they still have staff patrolling and outside is like the easiest place to stay 6 feet from other people, so WTF?
View Quote

This isn't about logic, its about control.

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Fun police are here. My hobby got canceled, cancel yours too!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The thing about DNR land and the DFW cops that usually patrol them... They can seize your shit on the spot.

I'm pissed off as well here because I was about to break out the boat and take the kids spring sunfish & bass fishing. We're all here in the same house so what does it matter?
View Quote

Cite?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#21]
My letter to the Forest Fuerer,

Ms. Franz,

I find it appalling that you would make the call to close recreational fishing at a time when people of this state are hurting economically, all while commercial fishing is listed as essential. Last night my wife and I shared a grilled trout we caught in Lake Rosevelt over the weekend and felt thankful that we had a resource to provide food, that we had already paid for, with the purchase of a state fishing license.

It has been mentioned by medical professionals that being outside for exercise is very important for physical and mental health and the closure of DNR land inhibits that practice. Don't make the cure worse than the disease. REPEAL THESE PROHIBITIONS NOW!
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Cite?
View Quote

They can and will for license violations and poaching. I can't say that they would for DNR closures but fish cops would be the ones I would be wary of.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Oregon Department of Forestry is taking a much more reasonable approach in my opinion.

They closed campgrounds and public rest rooms, but left State Forest lands and roads open to dispersed recreation.

I am not impressed by Oregon's governor, but their Forestry Department seems more rational than Washington DNR
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, fucking around with the Fish Police is a fine way to find yourself walking home....And if you REALLY pissed them off you'll be walking without shoes.

Regular police can pretty well gargle my testicles, but Fish Police its yessir nosir have a nice day sir.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was going to head up that way myself. Probably run up there next weekend. How far in did you go? I'm assuming theres still snow if you head up far enough.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, the fookin' national forests are closed now too.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices/?aid=57349

Though I guess technically you could still drive on the roads maybe?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, the fookin' national forests are closed now too.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices/?aid=57349

Though I guess technically you could still drive on the roads maybe?
View Quote

To align with state and local stay home to save lives measures, trailheads, campgrounds, and day use areas* within the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest will be temporarily closed.  

*Day use areas include trailheads, visitor centers, OHV staging areas, viewpoints, boat launches, interpretive sites, and picnic areas.

Well, that's one NF, not all.  Yet.  

Zion shooting pit is still open, may need to take a ride up there.

EDIT to add: Olympic NF is still open, the forest part anyway.  Cabins are closed.  As of this moment they are only making common-sense suggestions for the situation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I was on Forest Road 70 at Green Water lower pit last Friday and Today (Monday) both days at 10am enjoying the pit to ourselves. While testing my new loads I saw many vehicles pass by the pit out for a hike/joyride. I'm really surprised FR70 is still open along with the lower pit. Didn't see any signs about closure to the area.

Was I in any violation on public land?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:40:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was on Forest Road 70 at Green Water lower pit last Friday and Today (Monday) both days at 10am enjoying the pit to ourselves. While testing my new loads I saw many vehicles pass by the pit out for a hike/joyride. I'm really surprised FR70 is still open along with the lower pit. Didn't see any signs about closure to the area.

Was I in any violation on public land?
View Quote

I believe that is NF land up there, so it should be open. Any Day Use facilities (campgrounds, parks, boat launches, etc) on NF is closed, but otherwise I think the land is still open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top