Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2020 6:54:38 PM EDT
I applied for a FOID on 02DEC2019. I have received nothing.

The Il state police Firearms Services Bureau site dashboard shows it "issued" "1.15.2020" (more than 30 days); I haven't received anything.

Over the past two/three weeks I have sent three or four emails to the address the website recommends for inquiries. I have not received a response to any of them.

I have called the phone number for FOID inquiries on the state police FOID site. I have never spoken to anyone, nor have my calls been returned.

Any suggestions for someone to call/write to get the thing issued? The state is living up to its reputation for heavy-handedness and bureaucratic inefficiency (or is it that they don't care?). registering cars and getting DLs was a massive pain too...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I applied for a FOID on 2/12/2019. I have received nothing.

The Il state police Firearms Services Bureau site dashboard shows it "issued" "1.15.2020" (more than 30 days); I haven't received anything.

Over the past two/three weeks I have sent three or four emails to the address the website recommends for inquiries. I have not received a response to any of them.

I have called the phone number for FOID inquiries on the state police FOID site. I have never spoken to anyone, nor have my calls been returned.

Any suggestions for someone to call/write to get the thing issued? The state is living up to its reputation for heavy-handedness and bureaucratic inefficiency (or is it that they don't care?). registering cars and getting DLs was a massive pain too...

Thanks.
View Quote
Most find emails and calls go unanswered unless sitting on phone redialing hours at a time.   A 1 to 5 person staff dealing with thousands of inquiries per week with a roughly 62000 backlog...  The new $1M phone system is going to fix it all

Law says new apps processed in 30 days, renewals in 60 business days but no penalties if not met.  Ignoring the year from application to issued date and if you went under appeal or a board review or it just got lost, I assume it shows as Active on the portal.   With an issue date of 1/5/2020, you are only a couple weeks out and I think the ISP says 2 to 4 weeks for delivery although it seems most are within 2 weeks.  Given time for cards to get printed, sorted, batched, sent to USPS, MLK holiday, I'd maybe give it another week to show up.

If no success, reach out to SwanHunter here in HTF or MollyB over at IllinoisCarry.  Some have reached out to their state representative or senator as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
My only comment:

Holy crap, 11 months for a FOID?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My only comment:

Holy crap, 11 months for a FOID?
View Quote
sorry. was rushing: 02DEC2020
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Most find emails and calls go unanswered unless sitting on phone redialing hours at a time.   A 1 to 5 person staff dealing with thousands of inquiries per week with a roughly 62000 backlog...  The new $1M phone system is going to fix it all

Law says new apps processed in 30 days, renewals in 60 business days but no penalties if not met.  Ignoring the year from application to issued date and if you went under appeal or a board review or it just got lost, I assume it shows as Active on the portal.   With an issue date of 1/5/2020, you are only a couple weeks out and I think the ISP says 2 to 4 weeks for delivery although it seems most are within 2 weeks.  Given time for cards to get printed, sorted, batched, sent to USPS, MLK holiday, I'd maybe give it another week to show up.

If no success, reach out to SwanHunter here in HTF or MollyB over at IllinoisCarry.  Some have reached out to their state representative or senator as well.
View Quote
OK. thanks!  as noted above. I was sloppy. submitted in Dec 2019, a little over one month ago. so, it is a case of an understaffed organization that is typically a few weeks behind the statutory required processing time. in the meantime, I cannot shoot, buy anything. kind of frustrating, but I guess I'd better get used to it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

OK. thanks!  as noted above. I was sloppy. submitted in Dec 2019, a little over one month ago. so, it is a case of an understaffed organization that is typically a few weeks behind the statutory required processing time. in the meantime, I cannot shoot, buy anything. kind of frustrating, but I guess I'd better get used to it.
View Quote
@CoolEarl

A few weeks behind is an understatement unfortunately. Check this thread out
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
It took me 105 times to get into the waiting que.

105 times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top