Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2021 2:33:15 PM EDT
old member here; had to get a new email for the account.
due to retiring and a desire to move; which is better Texas or Oklahoma?
I've been visiting Texas for work and vacation over the last 35+ years and like it a lot.  
I've worked with Texans and Okies.  
A good friend lives there also but I don't need to live close to them.  
So it seems that you need a permit for just about everything, from what I can tell it might not be the best retirement state on the financial end of things.

I would like to sell property I have here and reinvest it into some land and barndominium.  
I already live where you turn right when you hear the banjos; so BFE is fine with me.    
Primary area I would want would need to have water available, and preferably ground good enough to raise a decent garden.
The further west the better I guess, don't really care for SE Texas.  Love the hill country, but so does a lot of other folks driving up the price.  
Like the desert but kind of need trees for shade also.  
I can tolerant the heat and humidity (born and raised); but I really do appreciate shade and coolness.  
I'm a fan of God, guns, guitars, and good Texas women.  And the need to keep Texas;  well...Texas.  
Any suggestions on where would be a good place to move?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I would look around Amarillo personally.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Trxas vs Oklahoma?
Yeah, this won’t start anything! ??

Oklahoma seems to be a little more free and will likely stay ted for s long time.
Trxas is filling with Californians and illegal aliens.
The big cities are turning blue and have typical big city problems.
I live on the north edge of Fort Worth. If I lived somewhere else I may have moved a long time ago.

I can’t vouch for this but I think land prices may be lower in Oklahoma.
The Arbuckles are really nice. There are a lot of lakes and the people are really nice.

I love my Texas but if you have been here you know how we are.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
old member here; had to get a new email for the account.
due to retiring and a desire to move; which is better Texas or Oklahoma?
I've been visiting Texas for work and vacation over the last 35+ years and like it a lot.  
I've worked with Texans and Okies.  
A good friend lives there also but I don't need to live close to them.  
So it seems that you need a permit for just about everything (not sure what this is in regards to.  Firearm carry?  Won't be like that for long).

from what I can tell it might not be the best retirement state on the financial end of things. (not sure what this refers to - needs more detail.  Texas has no income tax while OK does.  But Texas seems to have high property tax.  You need to crunch your own numbers to figure out which is best for you.  Do you have income coming in that a tax on it would hurt more than property tax?  

I would like to sell property I have here and reinvest it into some land and barndominium.  
I already live where you turn right when you hear the banjos; so BFE is fine with me.    
Primary area I would want would need to have water available, and preferably ground good enough to raise a decent garden.
The further west the better I guess, don't really care for SE Texas.  Love the hill country, but so does a lot of other folks driving up the price.  Further west is less water, the state gets drier as you go that way.  Not much you're going to grow in El Paso for instance, compared to Orange.  
Like the desert but kind of need trees for shade also.  Gotta pick one or the other, or try to hide behind a cactus I guess.
I can tolerant the heat and humidity (born and raised); but I really do appreciate shade and coolness.  Not much shade or coolness in west Texas.  

Don't mean to pick on you, but you want a place with water, good soil, as far west Texas as possible, with trees and shade, and coolness.  Many of those are at odds with each other.  Need to decide what is more important that the other.  

I'm a fan of God, guns, guitars, and good Texas women.  And the need to keep Texas;  well...Texas.  
Any suggestions on where would be a good place to move?
View Quote

It's like asking what should I have for dinner?  It's up to you and your preferences.  Couple of comments above.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I was born and raised in the Hill Country (not far from Fredericksburg) and lived close to Wichita Falls for 5 years and now live in College Station. Each area has its own positives and negatives. We visited OK often and there is beauty there. I'd live in either state and be happy. Sorry, not much help. More of a pep talk.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Oklahoma for sure, Texas is full.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It is all so nice, take your pick.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife & I retired in 2018 and moved to the countryside North of Abilene. We've got 14 acres not far from Anson (county seat). Really nice living here & the
people are right thinking patriotic Americans.

A guy I know bought a home in Stamford (North of Anson) about 3 years ago and paid less than $60K. The towns of Breckenridge, and Albany are nice too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I vote Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#9]
If I could talk my wife into moving again, I'd jump on this old place.

$189,000 Abilene, TX 2.7 Acre Stone Homestead
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Great location if you work at the prison.  Walk to work.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are retiring Oklahoma is probably cheaper.  Cost of living down here in Texas is spiraling out of control.  Especially if you are not yet 65, because property taxes are increasing massively.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you are retiring Oklahoma is probably cheaper.  Cost of living down here in Texas is spiraling out of control.  Especially if you are not yet 65, because property taxes are increasing massively.
View Quote

Taxes and cost of living are lower in OK right now as well as land prices. The state is starting to turn a bit also. Not at the same rate as Texas but some of their state office holders are becoming "woke" at an alarming rate in some areas.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Rural land is a bit cheaper - comparing similar land to similar land - in Okla.  

Taxes might be higher in Okla, due to the Texas ag exemptions for rural land.   For non-ag land, Okla is cheaper on property taxes.  

Both are relatively similar.   If you were in N. Texas or S. Okla, you likely would not see much difference in the culture.  Same with Amarillo vs. Western Okla.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rural land is a bit cheaper - comparing similar land to similar land - in Okla.  

Taxes might be higher in Okla, due to the Texas ag exemptions for rural land.   For non-ag land, Okla is cheaper on property taxes.  

Both are relatively similar.   If you were in N. Texas or S. Okla, you likely would not see much difference in the culture.  Same with Amarillo vs. Western Okla.
View Quote

It’s MUCH easier to get ag exempt status in Oklahoma than Texas after buying land.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Deleted
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm looking to move out of Houston in the next year or 2. Can't stand the Houston heat & humidity any longer. If I've got to move after being here in the same house for 34 years then I might as well do it right and make it my final move!  This state is going down. Been here 42 years, and the writing is clearly on the wall. If you're the kind that doesn't mind moving every few years, then it may work for you for a few more years before it goes Majority Democrat. 70% of Californians that move are coming to Texas. I don't doubt it's the same numbers for other libs coming here from other blue states too. Add 2 generations of people who came here illegally from Mexico who dropped anchor babies, raised families, and now vote Democrat. (...and still come from across the border daily on Democrat welcome) Then we have our own generation of born & raised welfare people. You get the picture. Senator Cruz only beat Beto a couple of years ago by about 7%. Compare that with numbers that use to always be about a 20% margin.  This state has another 4 to 6 years before it votes in a Democrat Gov.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm looking to move out of Houston in the next year or 2. Can't stand the Houston heat & humidity any longer. If I've got to move after being here in the same house for 34 years then I might as well do it right and make it my final move!  This state is going down. Been here 42 years, and the writing is clearly on the wall. If you're the kind that doesn't mind moving every few years, then it may work for you for a few more years before it goes Majority Democrat. 70% of Californians that move are coming to Texas. I don't doubt it's the same numbers for other libs coming here from other blue states too. Add 2 generations of people who came here illegally from Mexico who dropped anchor babies, raised families, and now vote Democrat. (...and still come from across the border daily on Democrat welcome) Then we have our own generation of born & raised welfare people. You get the picture. Senator Cruz only beat Beto a couple of years ago by about 7%. Compare that with numbers that use to always be about a 20% margin.  This state has another 4 to 6 years before it votes in a Democrat Gov.
View Quote

Where to go that isn't just behind Texas in all those things though.  That's the problem.  Liberals shit where they eat then go another place and repeat the cycle.  Not sure where that isn't going to just happen again in a few years.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, if you've lived here for 42 years, so since 1979, you've seen the state go from the Democrat stronghold, to a Republican one.  There are no statewide elected Democrats, and are well out numbered in the US House delegation, which will probably get even more Republican after re-districting, with the court system shut from loser Democrat whining now (never forget, Gerrymandering went from Hilarious Partisan Hijinks, to Mortal Threat to the Republic!!!, at the exact time Republicans started using it to their advantage).

Cruz actually only beat Beta Male by a 2.6 percent.  That said, 2018 was a good year for the Democrats, Cruz is a lighting rod as he's an actual conservative, and Beta Male didn't have to wipe his ass for two years - the media sucked his asshole clean after every dump.  Cruz won in 2012 by 16% percent - but that was against a poorly funded token challenger - 9 million for Cruz, 140 grand for the Democrat.  So the two races are not comparable.

Abbot's won in 14 by 19 points, in a very good R year, and in 18 by 14 points.  There's no one from the Dem side that's a threat as of yet for him in 22.

Can the Texas Republican party snooze their way through upcoming elections and win by default they way they have for the past 20 years - no.  They will have to work on messaging, outreach, and getting their base to the polls.  But for all the doom and gloom from those who want to say the sky is falling, Florida is far more of a battleground state that Texas is.  And has exactly 1 statewide elected Democrat - the Ag secretary.  The races are closer there, but the Republicans keep winning them.  

Sky's not failing yet.  You can run away and flee the state - but that doesn't sound very Texan, now does it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Well, if you've lived here for 42 years, so since 1979, you've seen the state go from the Democrat stronghold, to a Republican one.  There are no statewide elected Democrats, and are well out numbered in the US House delegation, which will probably get even more Republican after re-districting, with the court system shut from loser Democrat whining now (never forget, Gerrymandering went from Hilarious Partisan Hijinks, to Mortal Threat to the Republic!!!, at the exact time Republicans started using it to their advantage).

Cruz actually only beat Beta Male by a 2.6 percent.  That said, 2018 was a good year for the Democrats, Cruz is a lighting rod as he's an actual conservative, and Beta Male didn't have to wipe his ass for two years - the media sucked his asshole clean after every dump.  Cruz won in 2012 by 16% percent - but that was against a poorly funded token challenger - 9 million for Cruz, 140 grand for the Democrat.  So the two races are not comparable.

Abbot's won in 14 by 19 points, in a very good R year, and in 18 by 14 points.  There's no one from the Dem side that's a threat as of yet for him in 22.

Can the Texas Republican party snooze their way through upcoming elections and win by default they way they have for the past 20 years - no.  They will have to work on messaging, outreach, and getting their base to the polls.  But for all the doom and gloom from those who want to say the sky is falling, Florida is far more of a battleground state that Texas is.  And has exactly 1 statewide elected Democrat - the Ag secretary.  The races are closer there, but the Republicans keep winning them.  

Sky's not failing yet.  You can run away and flee the state - but that doesn't sound very Texan, now does it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark White and Ann Richards, then W.
Texas has been democrat much longer than Republican, but back in LBj’s time and before it was southern Democrat. They would whip what their party has become. Back then it was possible to disagree with them but still respect them. Not today.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are retired, Oklahoma my be the cheaper place. Property taxes in Texas are out of control and only getting worse. Some places with gold plated schools are reaching above 2.5%. I'm at 1.8 % and the county recently tried to raise my value by almost 50%.

I'd post in the OK forum asking for specifics, but in many incorporated parts of OK the rate is below 0.5%. OK has an income tax, but if you are retired and not making large income then it works out better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you are retired, Oklahoma my be the cheaper place. Property taxes in Texas are out of control and only getting worse. Some places with gold plated schools are reaching above 2.5%. I'm at 1.8 % and the county recently tried to raise my value by almost 50%.

I'd post in the OK forum asking for specifics, but in many incorporated parts of OK the rate is below 0.5%. OK has an income tax, but if you are retired and not making large income then it works out better.
View Quote

I thought your appraised value could only go up 10% or so per year?  Is that not correct?  Or is it that they can only charge you 10% more per year, and then your taxes play catch up to the appraised value each year till you're paying taxes equal to the appraised value?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I thought your appraised value could only go up 10% or so per year?  Is that not correct?  Or is it that they can only charge you 10% more per year, and then your taxes play catch up to the appraised value each year till you're paying taxes equal to the appraised value?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The amount charged can only go up by 10% but the appraisal can go to the moon.  Then each year your taxes go up until they catch up.

I hope I can hold out long enough with the tax increases.  It is out of hand.  The government spending with these windfalls is out of control.  They should only be able to increase their spending by cost of living with an adjustment based on population growth and any excess applied as a refund or credit on the following year property taxes.  Not this out of hand BS.  People are being priced out of their homes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The amount charged can only go up by 10% but the appraisal can go to the moon.  Then each year your taxes go up until they catch up.

I hope I can hold out long enough with the tax increases.  It is out of hand.  The government spending with these windfalls is out of control.  They should only be able to increase their spending by cost of living with an adjustment based on population growth and any excess applied as a refund or credit on the following year property taxes.  Not this out of hand BS.  People are being priced out of their homes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They used to only tax based on something like 70% of the value. They needed more money but couldn’t increase the tax rate so they started basing taxes on 100% value.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Got it.  Yeah, what happens is governments get an influx of money when real estate prices go up, which they use to buy votes with and otherwise waste on bloated government.  So then when the economy shrinks and house prices go down, they're out of money and beg for the Federal government to rain money from the sky, stolen from the future.

I pay about 5500 bucks on my cheap 250 grand townhome.  Is that chump change compared to what others are having to pay?

If you were starting a system from scratch, you'd have a very low property tax, and make up the rest via a state income tax, as that's a better way to tax than on a sunk cost like a house, where all of a sudden you're paying more for something that's not producing income.  At least with an income tax, if you are paying more tax, its from making more.

Problem is, if you add in an income tax, no matter how much elected officials promise (lie), they end up not reducing property tax by near as much as they rake in via a state income tax.  So you end up paying more when all is said and done.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Got it.  Yeah, what happens is governments get an influx of money when real estate prices go up, which they use to buy votes with and otherwise waste on bloated government.  So then when the economy shrinks and house prices go down, they're out of money and beg for the Federal government to rain money from the sky, stolen from the future.

I pay about 5500 bucks on my cheap 250 grand townhome.  Is that chump change compared to what others are having to pay?

If you were starting a system from scratch, you'd have a very low property tax, and make up the rest via a state income tax, as that's a better way to tax than on a sunk cost like a house, where all of a sudden you're paying more for something that's not producing income.  At least with an income tax, if you are paying more tax, its from making more.

Problem is, if you add in an income tax, no matter how much elected officials promise (lie), they end up not reducing property tax by near as much as they rake in via a state income tax.  So you end up paying more when all is said and done.
View Quote

Your taxes are cheap.  I paid $152k for my small builder home in a cheap neighborhood, it is now appraised by the tax agency at $281k, and my taxes are over $7k.

Income tax would be a very bad deal for me though.  An example is where my parents live up north...  they have property tax and sales tax like here.  Their property tax is about 1/2 what I pay on a similar value house, so I'd save about $3500 a year on property taxes.  Their sales tax is 1.25% lower, so I'd save maybe a couple thousand a year there.  But what would suck is the state income tax rate up there is 9% (on pretty much anyone who makes anything like a decent salary) plus my parent's town has another 1% city income tax.  The only deduction they allow is the amount paid for federal taxes.  So that maybe $5-6k saved on property and sales taxes would be more than made up by the income tax I'd be paying.  And the insult to injury up there is that at least for my line of work (software engineering) there are few jobs, and even fewer good ones, and even the good ones usually pay about 40% less than down here.  Now, that would mean paying less income tax...  but that is a bitter pill, and the income tax would still be more.

Bottom line is lower property tax and an income tax usually only benefits people who aren't working.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#29]
My sister-in-law is moving to Oklahoma when he daughter graduates. They've already bought property even though they have a farm in Texas.

So as long as you don't might hearing her bitch about everything, you might give Oklahoma a shot. It's less "trendy" to live in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
i dig it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top