Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2021 1:35:43 AM EDT
Tesla moving headquarters to Texas from California

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Thursday the electric carmaker plans to move its headquarters from Silicon Valley's Palo Alto, California to Austin, Texas, where it is building a massive car and battery manufacturing complex.

Tesla joins Oracle, HP and Toyota Motor (7203.T) in moving U.S. headquarters to Texas from California, which has relatively high taxes and living costs. While Silicon Valley also is a hive of development of new ideas and companies, Texas is known for cheaper labor and less stringent regulation.

"I'm excited to announce that we're moving our headquarters to Austin, Texas," Musk told the company's annual meeting, held in the Texas car factory.

"This is not a matter of, sort of, Tesla leaving California," he said, saying it plans to increase output from its main California factory and Nevada factory by 50%.

The Fremont, California factory nonetheless is "jammed" and it is tough for people to afford houses in California, he said.

Billionaire Musk himself moved to the Lone Star State from California in December to focus on the electric-car maker’s new plant in the state and his SpaceX rocket company, which has a launch site in the southern tip of Texas.

Musk had a rocky relationship at times with California, threatening to move Tesla headquarters and future programs to Texas during a row over the closure of Tesla’s factory in Fremont, California due to COVID-19, for instance.

At the meeting he showed off a design of what looked like a cowboy-style belt buckle emblazoned with "Don't Mess With T" -- the T in the style of the Tesla logo. The phrase is based on a venerable and popular Texas anti-littering campaign - Don't Mess with Texas.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Ugh
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

...Tesla joins Oracle, HP and Toyota Motor (7203.T) in moving U.S. headquarters to Texas from California, which has relatively high taxes and living costs. While Silicon Valley also is a hive of development of new ideas and companies, Texas is known for cheaper labor and less stringent regulation. ...closure of Tesla’s factory in Fremont, California due to COVID-19, for instance.

View Quote

I think the Tesla facilities in Fremont were the GM/Toyota NUMMI facility in the 90s.  Which closed when Toyota moved to Texas.

mm
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think the Tesla facilities in Fremont were the GM/Toyota NUMMI facility in the 90s.  Which closed when Toyota moved to Texas.

mm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Tesla joins Oracle, HP and Toyota Motor (7203.T) in moving U.S. headquarters to Texas from California, which has relatively high taxes and living costs. While Silicon Valley also is a hive of development of new ideas and companies, Texas is known for cheaper labor and less stringent regulation. ...closure of Tesla’s factory in Fremont, California due to COVID-19, for instance.

mm

The plant in Fremont opened in ‘64 by GM, was both a car line and truck line, combining two GM assembly plants that were in Oakland. GM ran the plant till the mid 80’s when GM closed all their west coast plants. Then GM got together with Toyota (NUMMI) and built the Geo line of cars (Toyota Corollas) and Toyota built Tacoma’s. When GM dumped the Geo line, Toyota moved the Tacoma line to San Antonio with the Tundra line.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ugh
View Quote

Yeah, we are pretty well phucked
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
What’s wrong with Tesla?

Also, their cars are really fucking cool.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I think Elon is getting his fill of CA politics over the last 2 years.  Compared to average Californians moving to Austin, I suspect most Tesla people would be on the conservative side.  Better than Toyota or other examples lately.  I know it's HQ not manufacturing, but I hope Texas can be self-sufficient in cars as well as rockets soon.  

Everything Elon builds is getting ready for a balkanized future, here or on Mars.  Efficient rockets, electric generation and storage, electric vehicles, wireless internet, point-to-point fast transport.  Supports crypto for separate banking system.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]
^Yeh, I would think that most of the people actually willing to relocate to Texas don't hate the state or its values.

The rabid Texas-haters will stay put, and get a job at Google, Facebook or Apple instead.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
^Yeh, I would think that most of the people actually willing to relocate to Texas don't hate the state or its values.

The rabid Texas-haters will stay put, and get a job at Google, Facebook or Apple instead.
View Quote

I've met a few that were all "in California we did this" and have heard of some going back.   Personally I think we need a no vacany sign between all the coastal lefties and the illegals we're getting outnumbered.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, we are pretty well phucked
View Quote

Another 50k libtards inbound
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, real estate according to the news just took a 45% jump on that side of town.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top