Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2019 9:50:58 PM EDT
We're visiting friends in southern CA and then heading up to Lake Tahoe as well as some other spots afterwards. I plan to do some shooting with family and friends at the stops after CA but have tried to find out what I could actually bring and how, and its like trying to figure out the tax code.

As far as an AR ( I dont think any are?) or sidearm; what can I actually bring? From what I've attempted to figure out, it seems only my Wilson Combat 1911 would be acceptable as it has a 7 round mag? Would any sidearm with a 10 round mag or less be fine? I'm confused by the CA 'approved pistol' list; does that mean you can't buy it in CA or can't have in in CA at all, regardless of mag capacity? For example, a HK45C isn't on the 'approved list' but thats for salees if I am reading that right, or can you not bring one in at all?

- I have a CCW, but have read that means nothing in CA without a CA CCW.
- If I read it correctly, whatever I CAN bring, needs to be locked in the trunk and seperated from any ammo for the weapon.

Is this correct? And then is there a list or resource somewhere that can tell me exactly what I can/cant bring through CA for the few days we are there? Totally confused.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quick and Dirty - Can' t bring:

Nothing that qualifies as an Assault Weapon under CA Law.

Pistol with threaded barrel

Magazines with greater than 10 round capacity.

Can bring:

Any other Pistol  or revolver

Any other semi-automatic rifle

When traveling long guns can't have ammunition attached. Pistols locked in case, out of reach of driver.  Ammunition can be in case, just not "attached"

Ammunition, as a non-resident, for your own use, I believe you are good to go as long as you don't transfer it to a resident.  Let somebody figure that out for you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Approved list basically applies to commercial sales.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 2:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As far as an AR ( I dont think any are?) or sidearm; what can I actually bring?

DON'T BRING ANYTHING THAT IS AN ASSAULT WEAPON.

Many AR's are fine to bring subject to the following restrictions.  
1.  Do not bring any firearm that is specifically and exactly named on the assault weapons list.
2.  Do not bring any firearm that has features which render it as an assault weapon.
3.  Do not bring any magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

From what I've attempted to figure out, it seems only my Wilson Combat 1911 would be acceptable as it has a 7 round mag? Would any sidearm with a 10 round mag or less be fine?

1.  Do not bring any of the makes/models which are specifically named on the assault weapons list.
2.  Do not bring any handgun that has features which would cause it to be an assault weapon.  If it has none of those features, you can bring it in.
3.  Do not bring any magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

I'm confused by the CA 'approved pistol' list; does that mean you can't buy it in CA or can't have in in CA at all, regardless of mag capacity? For example, a HK45C isn't on the 'approved list' but thats for salees if I am reading that right, or can you not bring one in at all?

As PaDanby stated, that list applies only to buyers of brand new firearms who reside in California.  It is not applicable to used firearms.  It does not restrict what you can bring, carry or use inside California.

That is correct.  California does not honor out of State CCW licenses.  Do not carry without a California CCW permit.

- If I read it correctly, whatever I CAN bring, needs to be locked in the trunk and seperated from any ammo for the weapon.  Is this correct?

1.  Long guns need to be unloaded but can be transported anywhere in the vehicle.  
2.  Assault weapons need to be in a locked container and NOT in the passenger compartment (don't bring any of these).  
3.  Hand guns need to be unloaded and in a locked container NOT in the passenger compartment.  Ammo can be in the container but the gun must be unloaded.  
4.  Be smart, keep them all in the trunk.

And then is there a list or resource somewhere that can tell me exactly what I can/cant bring through CA for the few days we are there? Totally confused.

1.  The lists of named assault weapons and assault weapon features are on the CA DOJ web site.  
2.  CalGuns and CARPA have put out a pair of flow charts you can use to determine compliance - one for handguns, one for long guns.  The chart has all the features and named models.

Get the lists and charts.  Read them, they're pretty clear.  That's your homework.  If you still have questions, come on back.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 2:56:02 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a pinned thread on the Ca HTF page.

Towards the bottom of the thread are links to the Ca AG/DoJ site and definitions which apply.

One links to a page which provides the characteristics or "features" which are used to define "assault weapons."  Different feature sets apply to rifles, pistols and shotguns.

You'll find the definitions for fixed magazine, detachable magazine, grip, stock, etc., if needed, on the definition link.

For visitors?  No magazines over 10 round capacity.  The "Approved List" applies to pistol sales.  Sales and transfers have a set of state and federal legal requirements, you're visiting not selling so that shouldn't be an issue.   As long as a pistol (or rifle or shotgun) is not an assault weapon under Ca. laws, it may be brought into the state by a visitor.  Threaded barrels are an assault weapon characteristic for pistols but not rifles.  Also an AR pistol is an assault weapon here.  Check the lists, just in case.

Ca doesn't recognize out of state CCW permits.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/pdf/cfl2016.pdf discusses transportation of firearms, possession at a campsite, etc.

Note that while one may typically possess a firearm at their residence, campsite, etc., if that's a legally prohibited spot, those prohibitions would apply.  Example:  In Ca, firearms are almost always prohibited in state parks.  So a no go in a state park campsite.  However, National Parks?  Not illegal to possess consistent with state law.  But federal buildings, like Post Offices and most federal buildings, offices, no.  (This is not unique to Ca that I know of.)  In a place like traveling in the Sierras and "around" Lake Tahoe, you might pass through a variety of state and federal lands of various sorts and cross state lines, too.  So care and discretion are important.

In Ca,, pistols must be transported in a locked container.  Non-concealable firearms are not required to be transported in a locked container.  (I'd certainly suggest they not be readily seen, etc., for safety and security reasons, if nothing else.)  All must be unloaded.  Note that with no open or concealed carry, getting a firearm between the vehicle and the residence, etc., may still require a container of some sort, as well as discretion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#5]
On a practical note, as mentioned in the San Francisco thread, there are areas where items visible in a car are vulnerable.  San Francisco being one of them.  A lot of broken windows and contents taken.  You'll see a lot of signs at parking areas about securing valuables, not leaving anything visible, etc.  So, whether or not a particular item is required to be in a locked container, etc., if it's going to be left in the car, security should be considered.

My travel style typically doesn't involve hotel lobbies and gun cases so not sure how that's going these days.  Especially with larger "resorts" or the like, which might have large parking structures and require a walk to/from the building.  I suppose secure in vehicle storage, especially not easily seen, trunks or buried/frame mounted that's not an easy opportunity?  Don't think it's different here, really than any place else.  FWIW, I tend, for the most part, to think in vehicle storage is better than leaving pretty much anything in a room where you don't know the cleaning routine or how secure things are while that's going on.

OTOH, I've never been asked about firearms in any way at any national or state parks so I figure discretion goes a long way.  There's a lot of tourist travel in California, destinations and en route stops in parks and the like it just doesn't seem to be an issue that comes up.  I wouldn't strap on a big ol' hogleg at my national park campsite because it's by God my local residence! when tents are fifteen feet apart and there are 100 other campsites or something like that there.  Remote camp way out in the boonies, maybe.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We're visiting friends in southern CA and then heading up to Lake Tahoe as well as some other spots afterwards. I plan to do some shooting with family and friends at the stops after CA but have tried to find out what I could actually bring and how, and its like trying to figure out the tax code.

As far as an AR ( I dont think any are?) or sidearm; what can I actually bring? From what I've attempted to figure out, it seems only my Wilson Combat 1911 would be acceptable as it has a 7 round mag? Would any sidearm with a 10 round mag or less be fine? I'm confused by the CA 'approved pistol' list; does that mean you can't buy it in CA or can't have in in CA at all, regardless of mag capacity? For example, a HK45C isn't on the 'approved list' but thats for salees if I am reading that right, or can you not bring one in at all?

- If I read it correctly, whatever I CAN bring, needs to be locked in the trunk and seperated from any ammo for the weapon.

Is this correct? And then is there a list or resource somewhere that can tell me exactly what I can/cant bring through CA for the few days we are there? Totally confused.

Thanks for the help.
View Quote
You can bring in any handgun as long as it's not an assault weapon, made from a rifle receiver (CA considers that an SBR or SBS), fires a fixed shotgun shell (C&R SBS, or AOW, with stamp, exempted), or is rifled and larger than .50-cal.  Assault weapons include handguns with a detachable magazine and a threaded barrel, second hand grip, barrel shroud, or that have the mag well outside of the grip, as well as handguns with fixed magazines with a greater than 10-round capacity.  Also include weapons on the Roberti-Roos list (exactly by make and model), although these are basically semi-auto versions of machine pistols and not the typical handgun that you're probably interested in bringing in (stuff like the Uzi or MAC-10).

Open carry, loaded or unloaded, is allowed in unincorporated areas where discharge is not prohibited.  Otherwise, you can't really carry outside of exigent circumstances without a CA CCW permit, which only residents can get.  An unloaded handgun in a locked container may be carried to and from certain destinations (like a shooting range or FFL), but otherwise cannot be carried that way.  However, you may keep an unloaded handgun in a locked container (excepting any compartment in the passenger cabin) in your vehicle without any extra requirements.  Magazines can be loaded and with the gun, on your person, or elsewhere.  There is no requirement for it to be out of reach.  There is no requirement for ammo to be stored seperately.  As long as the gun is legal, unloaded, and in a locked container (which can even be a soft container as long as it's secure), you can keep it in there all you want.

Long guns can be carried or stored in a vehicle in an unlocked container designed to hold a firearm or a locked container of any type and must be unloaded.  Ammo can be stored in a sidesaddle, butt cuff, etc.  There is no law against that, contrary to popular belief (and there is case law to this effect).

The approved handgun roster is only for sales by an FFL or interstate transfers/importation by a resident.  Has nothing to do with what you can bring in as a non-resident or otherwise possess.  Don't worry about it one bit.

If you want an AR, you either need to fix a ten-round magazine in place according to the current standard, or, more easily, just swap the pistol grip for a featureless one (the Sparrow Dynamics grip looks promising, ergonomically) and remove any offending muzzle device (flash suppressor or grenade spigot), and also remove any forward grip (even an AFG).  Replace a collapsible stock with a fixed one or fix the stock in place (there are cheap parts for a number of different popular stocks that drop in and do this).  No folders like the LAW folder.  Use only ten-round magazines (or less).  Make sure it's not on the Roberti-Roos or AR series lists (most current-production lowers are not on them).  Also can't be under 30" in the shortest configuration or an SBR.

If you just want to use it out of CA and just need to transport it through here, just keep the upper and lower separate, or remove the BCG, or anything else that basically renders it disassembled to the point that it is not operable. Again, make sure it's not on the lists.  Only bring in mags with a max capacity of ten rounds.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Re: Firearms in state parks:

CCR 4313(c)Firearms not having a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism, other unloaded weapons or devices such as traps, nets, and bows and arrows may be possessed within temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased, or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Can a non-resident bring in/possess ammo in CA now?

I've searched & searched but can't seem to find that bit of info.

Scenario:

Playing RV tourist in CA. Would like to have pump shotgun (&/or handgun) in RV for personal protection. Of course a gun without ammo is kind of pointless so I would want ammo to accompany any firearm as well.

Note: I used to carry a 12ga pump shotgun w/ammo with me back in the day when I did a lot of RV camping in CA but haven't been to CA in an RV since all the new gun & specifically, ammo laws have came into being.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your campsite is considered your "home" and you are allowed to have a firearm and protect yourself in your home.

As you probably already know, don't bring the usual firearms (AW's), no pistols with a threaded barrel, have your 10 round mags...

As for ammo, you can't buy any here as you're not a CA resident. The only way that you'll be able to do some shooting is to bring your own ammo. I wouldn't offer any for sale or trade it... if you did and were caught, you just know that the state would use importing as a charge.

So, bring your own and shoot your own.
View Quote
Copy all. Thanks much for the info / clarifications!
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Transporting Firearms in California
Home Firearms Transporting Firearms in California
HANDGUNS
Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Nonconcealable firearms (shotguns and rifles) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS
California Penal Code section 30945, subdivision (g) provides that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container when transported.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Transporting Firearms in California
Home Firearms Transporting Firearms in California
HANDGUNS
Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Nonconcealable firearms (shotguns and rifles) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS
California Penal Code section 30945, subdivision (g) provides that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container when transported.

View Quote
From a non-resident visitor's point of view (at least mine anyway) there *appears* to be little to no accessible official State info out there ref how the current CA ammo laws apply to out of state visitor's (vs folks moving there to become residents ) of CA. The stuff posted above is silent on ammo.  As a guy whom vacations in CA x-# of times a year it's high on my list to find out if me as a non-resident hand-carrying ammo into CA for my own use is GTG, or if it would constitute some sort of  'illegal importation' as it would if one of you current CA residents 'imported' ammo in without going thru a licensed FFL, ammo dealer (or whatever the official term is nowadays).
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
TBH. haven't looked "ammo" up.  They've only recently gotten wrapped around the axle about ammo as a "loophole" as felons were not permitted firearms but the laws didn't forbid them ammo. (Which kind of both makes sense and doesn't because if they can't have firearems, who cares if they fill their pockets with ammo.  OTOH, we all know felons, etc., get firearms. So those laws don't work.)

I don't believe FOPA discusses ammunition aside from firearms not being loaded, where it's stored, etc. but generally there haven't been separate laws on ammo for the most part.  Existing CA law clearly allows for possession and transport of firearms by visitors, just controls import of assault weapons.

My guess without looking is the new laws missed discussing temporary import/transportation of ammo for legal purposes by non-residents.  The idiots in Sacramento don't seem to have a grasp on basic firearms and how they work, etc.

An alternative is that the CA DoJ websites aren't entirely current.  I believe I've found some broken links in the past and also some references that didn't catch up with a renumbering of the code sections a while back.

It may well be that there is nothing on the books about non-resident import/transport of ammo.  I'd call them or CRPA.  Really.  Get references/names if you do.  I don't know because it's not an issue that impacts me so I haven't looked it up.

This assumes not a particular type of ammo that might be separately regulated,perhaps tracer or some sorts of AP or??
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

From a non-resident visitor's point of view (at least mine anyway) there *appears* to be little to no accessible official State info out there ref how the current CA ammo laws apply to out of state visitor's (vs folks moving there to become residents ) of CA. The stuff posted above is silent on ammo.  As a guy whom vacations in CA x-# of times a year it's high on my list to find out if me as a non-resident hand-carrying ammo into CA for my own use is GTG, or if it would constitute some sort of  'illegal importation' as it would if one of you current CA residents 'imported' ammo in without going thru a licensed FFL, ammo dealer (or whatever the official term is nowadays).
View Quote
You can bring in however much you want for your own use.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Your campsite is considered your "home" and you are allowed to have a firearm and protect yourself in your home.

As you probably already know, don't bring the usual firearms (AW's), no pistols with a threaded barrel, have your 10 round mags...

As for ammo, you can't buy any here as you're not a CA resident. The only way that you'll be able to do some shooting is to bring your own ammo. I wouldn't offer any for sale or trade it... if you did and were caught, you just know that the state would use importing as a charge.

So, bring your own and shoot your own.
View Quote
It should be noted that in many county/municipal parks and in State Parks assembled/functional/accessible firearms are generally disallowed.  Federal land should be GTG, same with private campgrounds.  What constitutes the campsite is fairly limited.  If, say, there's a restroom 25 feet away and you go there and back, you're considered as not being in your campsite anymore.  At least that's my understanding.

If discharge is not prohibited on the land you're on, the campsite limitation only applies to CCW.  Outside of it you can open carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top