Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/7/2018 8:53:29 PM EDT
There are a lot of Arfcommers who are pretty pissed off about the results of the mid-term in our state. Most seats were filled with blue-butts; only a few seats are red.

My wife has been studying Republican states and is impressed with your state! She's studied several subjects:

weather (primarily how hot & cold it gets, and how much snowfall do you get);
quality of hospitals (we're both retired, she has medical issues);
home schooling (however, our son is about to graduate. Will they accept his home school diploma?);
Laws regarding "personal" livestock; she keeps chickens, I keep bees, we have 3 lazy housecats;
And of course, gun laws. NM has traditionally been very free with its gun laws, mostly defaulting to federal laws; guns are protected by our state constitution. However, we expect to see a massive push to regulate "military-style guns."
What is there to do there? Lots of people complain that 'There's Nothing To Do There.'
What stores do you have? Where are the WalMarts, Krogers, etc?
Also, (don't get bent out of shape here), she and our son are mixed blood: Navajo (him), Lakota, black. They have dealt with  a lot of discrimination here in "non-discriminatory" New Mexico.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, we're full.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, we're full of it.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

FIFY
View Quote
FIFYRB

Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you taken the time to ...

Read the threads about folks moving there over the past year or so.

Read the threads of folks asking about Idaho over the past year or so.

Visit the state. Multiple times.

That's what I have done.

And I hope to be in escrow in Idaho in a month or so.

_
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife grew up in NM, and I lived there for a few years.  The only thing I miss is the food, but this year we were able to find real green chile roasted at albertsons (from Young Guns in Hatch).  So at least I no longer blow a fortune on shipping green chile to get a freezer full.  If you are into outdoors its pretty nice up here.

ETA

I read your post again, just thought to add my wife is hispanic, and she likes it here.  Everyone so far is quite nice and polite.  She did have one coworker initially that seemed to have an attitude, then her work from home gigs took off.  Our dealings with St Luke hospital have been good, but no serious issues.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Have you taken the time to ...

Read the threads about folks moving there over the past year or so.

Read the threads of folks asking about Idaho over the past year or so.

Visit the state. Multiple times.

That's what I have done.

And I hope to be in escrow in Idaho in a month or so.

_
View Quote
I will do so. Thanks, and good luck to you!
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry, we're full.
View Quote
Quoted:

FIFY
View Quote
If your wife (no pics) hobby is riding big ass horses over artificial objects, you've got lots of shit...secret is not to get full.

Wife is a native Idahoan so I was in and out of here a bunch when we lived in (cough / spit) in the SF bay area.  What helped both of us get familiarized more in depth was a subscription to the  Idaho Statesman for a month or 2 prior to moving from DFW to the Boise area.  OP, you can PM me if you need more info, but this part of arf and a bit of homework should get you started.

hth
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]
What about taxes?
Social Security
Retirement
Property
Groceries (taxes on food are unusual).
Other taxes I haven't covered.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
67 years living here. Best State in the Union. Some residents up north trash the south,  some in the south trash the north. We have pockets of libs north south and east.  I hope this crap stops and we unite to keep the state red.  We have four even seasons for the most part.  We have a great diversity of 13,000' peaks, dense forest, desert canyons.  Hold on, I'm steelhead fishing and need a drink.

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
67 years living here. Best State in the Union. Some residents up north trash the south,  some in the south trash the north. We have pockets of libs north south and east.  I hope this crap stops and we unite to keep the state red.  We have four even seasons for the most part.  We have a great diversity of 12,000' peaks, dense forest, desert canyons.  Hold on, I'm steelhead fishing and need a drink.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81803/42349355-205E-47B6-A4DA-C67AF28033B7-734704.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81803/A4B0906A-75E0-491E-B40B-D53A095B55E3-734705.jpg
View Quote
FIFY. Mount Borah is the tallest @ 12,662.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I just got excited and rounded it off.

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
You're leaving the state because Democrats have the upper hand for a bit?

I didn't leave California until I had actual thoughts of...uh...nevermind.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful. What range is that? You mentioned Steelhead so I'm thinking this is something along the Salmon, or at least in central Idaho.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a small cabin on the Main Salmon 60 miles upstream from Riggins where the southfork dumps in.  It’s getting cold and our cabin gets water from the creek.  It’ll freeze up soon so time to winterize the place.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I lived in Deming NM for awhile in High school, I moved back to Oregon then I settled in Idaho with my wife and kids.  I miss New Mexico terribly but I dont have anything there for me now.  I dont have any family in Idaho either but it is a great state.  I grew up Western Washington in the 80s and 90s but that place is ruined now.

I think you will like Idaho and wont have any problems living here.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's a blog my wife discovered. Sounds good to me!

Moving to Idaho blog
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a small cabin on the Main Salmon 60 miles upstream from Riggins where the southfork dumps in.  It’s getting cold and our cabin gets water from the creek.  It’ll freeze up soon so time to winterize the place.
View Quote
Haha, looks like my guess was pretty solid. I was just in Riggins for a hunt and I was blown away at how beautiful that area is. I'd passed through Riggins before on my way to CDA, and was under the impression that it was desert all around. Never knew that just a mile east or west opens up to some epic forests and mountains. I plan on hiking the Seven Devils this upcoming summer.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#18]
The Mexican food here is pretty terrible.  You should feel right at home!  
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're just going to the wrong places. I have family that lives in LA and agrees
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're just going to the wrong places. I have family that lives in LA and agrees
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enlighten me.  I have been looking and nothing is all that great.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Lets give OP a chance, They need to fill out an Idaho Permit,,,,, I can't seem to find it on the Internets, but it's out there somewhere. It has questions like:

1. Zero points for Liberal, 10 points Conservative.
2. Zero points if you hate guns, 10 points if you have a gun collection and over 10,000 rounds of ammo in your fort.
3. Zero points if you drive a Prius, 10 Points if you Roll Coal.
4. Zero points if you think burning the US Flag is your Right. 10 Points if you thing Flag Burners should be Shot on Spot.
5. Zero points if your are vegetarians, 50 Points if you Hunt and Eat Your Kills.

You Must have 100 points in order to get your Idaho Permit to Live her Reviewed by one of our Agents.
Then you have to wait 25 years to get your permit processed, if Approved.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Stay in your state and fight for it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I lived in Eagle Nest - Angel Fire area for 8 years. I only miss the food there. We moved to Idaho Falls a year ago from KC,MO and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Enlighten me.  I have been looking and nothing is all that great.
View Quote
Remind me what area you are in.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am neither I'll give myself 5
I have a lot of both 20
I have over 5000hp of diesel power 20
I think burning a flag or anything I own is my right, I think you're an asshole if you do it. Although I would probably shoot you for shooting a flag burner. Not sure what I score here.
I wouldn't call what I do hunting but again your rules 50

105 out of a possible 90 I guess I get to stay but the rest of you are fucked.
View Quote
I am neither I'll give myself 5 ---- Fail
I have a lot of both 20 --- Pass and make up a bit
I have over 5000hp of diesel power 20 ------- Good but do they roll coal?
I think burning a flag or anything I own is my right, I think you're an asshole if you do it. Although I would probably shoot you for shooting a flag burner. Not sure what I score here. --- Correct answer is the Boy Scouts can retire a flag by burning it, or some other Veterans club can retire flags as well
I wouldn't call what I do hunting but again your rules 50 ---- shooting Infidels is a Pass.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Remind me what area you are in.
View Quote
Out by Star.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#28]
The city of Star ID is broken, Their city counsel elected to allow 3000 more new homes to be built there for California Refugees that will mostly vote Democrat. From what i hear from a friend of the developer of this new track between star road and the 16 is that they paid off the Mayor a good chunk of money and some of the City counsel members as well in order to allow this expansion without any regards to all the local citizens who did not want this shit. There are no plans on expanding the roads, schools, fire department, police department, or other local services. Mind you, they want all these new tracks to have Municipal Water and sewer that they can charge them fees. The Star City counsel has been annexing other local communities (even areas that should in the future belong and fall well within the city of Middleton), and calling them part of the City of Star now for the past few years just to have those home owners incur up to a Doubling of their property taxes to cover any "Future City Expansion Costs" which they have no for-site or budget or real numbers in mind.

TL:DR= Fuck the City of Star and their corrupt city counsel and nobody gives a shit of those rat bastards over there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#29]
What the folks over in Star are doing is straight up bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Someone needs to see how the Star city councilers voted last election.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Unfortunately the Public Failed at the Recall of the Mayor of Star and City Counsel officials back in 2017.

Fuck the Star Mayor and City Counsel for Fucking Up this whole area of the Treasure Valley.... Fuck them in the Ear.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Someone needs to see how the Star city councilers voted last election.
View Quote
You won't find any of their results as they took them all down from there server. bunch of Rat Bastards if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife and I live a mile southeast of Star on the south side of the river.  About ten years ago Star tried to allow a developer to build 300 houses next to the river.  The land wasn’t even in their city!

We spent a shitload of money, fought them and won.  Now there’s a bunch of new council members, all on the take.  Bastards!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#35]
IIRC one or a couple of the Star city council folks own a sprinkler business.  No doubt that is what is driving some of this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Some more questions:
How is the Internet situation out there? I keep seeing references to poor Internet in Idaho.

Also: How's the cost of utilities? My wife came across someone who complained about the high cost of water. And how about gas and electric costs?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Some more questions:
How is the Internet situation out there? I keep seeing references to poor Internet in Idaho.
View Quote
Rural Kootenai county.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I am out a bit, but get a pretty solid 50mb connection from CableOne.

Electricity seems to be able the same as I paid in TX, but use a lot less of it.

Water is off a well for us, so its cheap.

Groceries are a good bit more expensive than other places I have lived.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd have to agree groceries are more expensive here - and there's not a lot of choices.  Plenty of Albertsons to shop at.  I have 1gb fiber for Internet, other utilities are cheaper than else where I've lived.  ADA county property taxes wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the school bonds.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:47:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some more questions:

Also: How's the cost of utilities? My wife came across someone who complained about the high cost of water. And how about gas and electric costs?
View Quote
Maybe something to check into as an option - https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2161887_Rural-internet--Alternative.html
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Some more questions:

View Quote
Not to be negative but yeah Internet mostly sucks here. Just about every plan here has a data cap, even the Centurylink plans that say they don't actually do, and since I work from home giving presentations, recording and uploading video that doesn't work so well for me. I had to sign up for a business account and I'm paying over $100.00 for 50/5 and the connection isn't super reliable. There are certain places in Meridian and Boise where Gigabit plans are offered without a data cap, unfortunately I don't live in such an area.

Water is expensive in my area and we're double charged for it. For every gallon you use you pay for the water but then you also pay a sewer fee for the same gallon. BUT if you live in an area with irrigation then it's not so bad because for a flat amount you get unlimited irrigation water for watering your lawn just remember to never use your house water to water the lawn. Irrigation water is only available during the summer months and as an unfortunate side affect, because of all of the irrigation canals Idaho has the highest drowning rate for kids in the US. Keep the kids away from them.

Idaho power is cheap and we don't use enough gas for me to comment on the gas cost.

Groceries are a mixed bag, all food is taxed here at 6% so you have to factor that into the cost. I get my groceries at Walmart and milk and eggs are inexpensive here but beef seems overpriced. Albertsons are everywhere but seem more expensive and Fred Mayer is even more expensive. Beer and especially hard alcohol are much more expensive here because we're a controlled state so all hard alcohol is only sold by the government.. When I visit friends in California we make sure to hit Costco because a 1.75 Makers Mark is $33.00. Here that same 1.75 is around $60.00.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#42]
How's the Internet?  Well if you have CenturyLink, there is no Internet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How's the Internet?  Well if you have CenturyLink, there is no Internet.
View Quote
CableOne is working just fine, thank you.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:05:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

CableOne is working just fine, thank you.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pfff all you want, but I haven't had a single issue with them since we got them 4 years ago. As far as CL, they've been showing talented engineers the door for the last few years. This was the fruit of their "labor".
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pfff all you want, but I haven't had a single issue with them since we got them 4 years ago. As far as CL, they've been showing talented engineers the door for the last few years. This was the fruit of their "labor".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't the past few years.  It started with Level 3 merged with WIltel Comms.  Been downhill since, Cl just caught them on the downhill side.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some more questions:

View Quote
If your worried about internet speed and the cost of water,  Idaho may not be the place your looking for......
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#48]
I can't speak for ID having only been here since 29DEC but I can say stay out of Boise, after watching Seattle go down the tubes twice in my life this place is on the fast track to the same nonsense. The locusts are moving this way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I can't speak for ID having only been here since 29DEC but I can say stay out of Boise, after watching Seattle go down the tubes twice in my life this place is on the fast track to the same nonsense. The locusts are moving this way.
View Quote
I was hoping for better news. I came across this article yesterday.
Idaho’s newcomers are reinforcing its political makeup, not changing it
Article is from 2017.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Wife spoke to someone who told her that you need buy only ONE $150 permit that covers hunting, fishing and for all animals and fish. Is this true?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top