Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2018 1:21:10 PM EDT
Hello FL!  It's likely I will be transferred to the West Palm Beach area from western NY.  As a gun owner living behind enemy lines I can imagine this will be a good move.  What kind of glorious gun related goodness await me if I relocate?  AR's with collapsible stocks, magazines with more than 10 rounds....dare I even think semi-auto 50 BMG, SBR's and suppressors?

Also, is Florida / Palm Beach County gun owner friendly?

Thanks you all the input.  NY values will be left behind.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Palm Beach County isn't exactly 'gun friendly' per se but compared to New York it would be.

Also why West Palm? Palm Beach County is kind of full

Honestly, if I could, I'd look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Except for open carry/constitutional carry, Florida is very gun friendly.

Even better, that applies to the whole state due to our exemption laws.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd move to Jupiter at least. United Technology?
Next county up would be a big improvement.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd move to Jupiter at least. United Technology?
Next county up would be a big improvement.
View Quote
There are definitely some very nice spots in Martin County.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I am in the Jupiter area. Next move is Martin county or Sebastian area if not further north in FL
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Palm Beach County can use another conservative minded, gun loving, Republican voter.

It's plenty gun friendly here due to our state's excellent preemption laws.

Florida is a "shall issue state"; get yourself a Florida concealed firearms and weapons licence as soon as you can.

And the latest edition of this book:

Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
What these guys said...I'm in the county.   It's crowed, expensive, & not very friendly overall. If I could I'd move also.
I will say I did see a lot of Trump support going on.

A co worker of mine just got a house in Jupiter.  I don't know about a good 1:30 each way to work but he couldn't find anything affordable in palm beach.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all of the replies.  Not going to lie, I'm excited for this and hope the offer makes it worth while

ETA:  forgot to mention this but I'll plan on apartment living for the first year, or less, to make sure this is a good fit.  Any areas to stay away from?
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the replies.  Not going to lie, I'm excited for this and hope the offer makes it worth while

ETA:  forgot to mention this but I'll plan on apartment living for the first year, or less, to make sure this is a good fit.  Any areas to stay away from?
View Quote
Village Blvd.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Born in Broward county, grew up/lived in West Palm Beach (more specifically Royal Palm Beach, and Loxahatchee) for about 20 years, with some more Broward county sprinkled in there while I was in college.  Like a few others have suggested, go as far north as possible that will give you a reasonable commute, Jupiter or even Martin County.  It is extremely congested from pretty much Palm Beach Gardens until you hit Key West unless you are a good distance West of I-95/Turnpike. I left in 2009 and moved to the West Coast of Florida and enjoy it much more.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
What town will you be working in?  I'm a fan of short commutes if possible.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Born in Broward county, grew up/lived in West Palm Beach (more specifically Royal Palm Beach, and Loxahatchee) for about 20 years, with some more Broward county sprinkled in there while I was in college.  Like a few others have suggested, go as far north as possible that will give you a reasonable commute, Jupiter or even Martin County.  It is extremely congested from pretty much Palm Beach Gardens until you hit Key West unless you are a good distance West of I-95/Turnpike. I left in 2009 and moved to the West Coast of Florida and enjoy it much more.
View Quote
I’d go as far as to say that the congestion starts at Indiantown.

OP, another thing to consider is taxes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in Wellington. Its fairly nice here. Although the summer heat/humidity in So FL is miserable. I've lived in PBC for 44 years and I'll be looking to move to a more rural area in the near future.

Palm Beach County is liberal, but the further west you go (Jupiter Farms, Royal Palm Beach, The Acreage, and Loxahatchee), the more conservative it gets, generally speaking. But, yeah, you'll like the gun laws here vs NY.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in Palm beach County in jupiter,  great place to live.
we have 4 gun shops in my AO. I do not know where In WPB
you are going to live but you have Gator Guns the Pawn shop
then you have Gator Gunshop and range they aslo have a archery shop.
you will have shoot straight out by the turnpike, and soon to be shooting range out west
on northlake.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What town will you be working in?  I'm a fan of short commutes if possible.
View Quote
I'd be working in Royal Palm Beach
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Check out unincorporated Boynton Beach west of the turnpike.

Nice area and a short commute up 441 to your job.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Village Blvd.
View Quote
Eh.  I'm on Village.  Its just fine in the middle, you just need to avoid either end of it

Funny thing about south florida that most non-locals can't seem to wrap their heads around- there is no 'good' side of town and no 'bad' side of town.  Any nice place will invariably have a shithole right next to it

Also avoid any areas in which the street names consist of only letters or numbers
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Also avoid any areas in which the street names consist of only letters or numbers
View Quote
Yea, no. All streets are numbers where I live, a pretty damn nice area called Jupiter Farms..............
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yea, no. All streets are numbers where I live, a pretty damn nice area called Jupiter Farms..............
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No A, B, or C streets in the farms but you’re right.

We looked out there before choosing Tequesta.

My only gripe is that no one seems to keep their dogs locked up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Correct on the A, B, etc streets.

The dog part is currently way better than it was 15, 20 years ago (been out here over 30 years). In my area there are very few dogs running around loose, usually because some dumb ass left a gate open or does not pay attention to the fact that their dog gets out.

Tequesta is a good area too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd be working in Royal Palm Beach
View Quote
Perfect...RPB is a nice area. Plenty of decent, affordable housing options....and fewer liberals! :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top