Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Big Lake, Houston, Point Mac, up into Willow, Talkeetna, Petersville are probably decent bets for you, op.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:13:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalExile] [#2]
I discovered a channel on YT that'll give the OP an idea of the challenges up there. This couple lives in a 320sqft cabin near Willow. It looks like they're doing well but they also don't have kids and have invested quite a bit in equipment.

They're also give out a lot of good info on homesteading:

Simple Living Alaska

ETA: I had the same idea as OP but I'll stay and enjoy our 9 month growing season here.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M-1975:
I discovered a channel on YT that'll give the OP an idea of the challenges up there. This couple lives in a 320sqft cabin near Willow. It looks like they're doing well but they also don't have kids and have invested quite a bit in equipment.

They're also give out a lot of good info on homesteading:

Simple Living Alaska

ETA: I had the same idea as OP but I'll stay and enjoy our 9 month growing season here.

View Quote

Snowed today in the area I want to retire
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry I haven't been updating this.

I think I found some property just north of fairbanks about 30 minutes.

Hopper creek Dr. Anyone know it?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

View Quote

I’m not sure you fully grasp what the weather is like in that area.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]

I would rather freeze to death than fry.It cant be that bad. Those hotties look like they could use some warming up though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:55:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pumbaajk] [#8]
So the weather is that much different being 6 hours north?

I am just trying to find some decently priced land and its hard to come by up there it seems.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#9]
So the weather is that much different being 6 hours north?

I am just trying to find some decently priced land and its hard to come by up there it seems.
View Quote

There can be a massive difference between relatively short distances, especially when you factor in the ocean. Where I live sustained below zero is relatively rare, 50 miles north you can get a month straight of it. If you're actually serious I'd recommend the KPB or the MatSu Valley. Fairbanks weather breaks people who are "used to the cold".
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 3:59:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#10]
Originally Posted By hauslp:

There can be a massive difference between relatively short distances, especially when you factor in the ocean. Where I live sustained below zero is relatively rare, 50 miles north you can get a month straight of it. If you're actually serious I'd recommend the KPB or the MatSu Valley. Fairbanks weather breaks people who are "used to the cold".
View Quote

January 2020 our average temperature for the month was -21.

At -20 and colder even simple tasks become incredibly difficult. Frost bite can happen in an instant.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:

January 2020 our average temperature for the month was -21.

At -20 and colder even simple tasks become incredibly difficult. Frost bite can happen in an instant.
View Quote

I can believe that.

Texas had a week of 0 degrees and we all saw how that worked out.

I was prepared and it didn't phase me but I am not prepared for negative degree weather for that long of a duration.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:39:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PolishX] [#12]

View Quote

Ask the fairbanks area people how their air quality is in the summer if fires break out, or in January. You're still really gonna try to do this huh ? Just remember we love laughing at Texans who keep reminding us of how cheap and great things were in Texas...So great they left.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PolishX:

Ask the fairbanks area people how their air quality is in the summer if fires break out, or in January. You're still really gonna try to do this huh ? Just remember we love laughing at Texans who keep reminding us of how cheap and great things were in Texas...So great they left.
View Quote

Thanks for your help and insight. I guess you would rather have the hippies from Cali, Washington, and Oregon keep moving up your way vs a dude who is as far right as one can be.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Thanks for your help and insight. I guess you would rather have the hippies from Cali, Washington, and Oregon keep moving up your way vs a dude who is as far right as one can be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No, we just don't want you to do what so may people from Texas do who move up. They set themselves up for failure with unrealistic expectations.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, I was invited to come work for IBM in the Fairbanks area about a decade ago. I started talking to the other techs that worked in the area.all if them moved there from the lower 48. Of the 10 techs, 8 were divorced or actively looking for way to get out. Anything that far north is a frozen hell for long periods of time. Look a little south. Homer and closer to Anchorage. That's what I'm doing now. In fact...sitting on the porch of our Airbnb outside Homer at the moment! 50 degrees! Fairbanks? Nahhhh man. Fuck nahh.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By boerseun:
OP, I was invited to come work for IBM in the Fairbanks area about a decade ago. I started talking to the other techs that worked in the area.all if them moved there from the lower 48. Of the 10 techs, 8 were divorced or actively looking for way to get out. Anything that far north is a frozen hell for long periods of time. Look a little south. Homer and closer to Anchorage. That's what I'm doing now. In fact...sitting on the porch of our Airbnb outside Homer at the moment! 50 degrees! Fairbanks? Nahhhh man. Fuck nahh.
View Quote

Pics or I don't believe it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Pics or I don't believe it.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#19]
We had rain for two days earlier in the week (in Anchorage). The mountains next to Anchorage now have more snow on them. And Anchorage is balmy compared to Fairbanks/Interior.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#20]

You suck. It was 85 and fucking humid as shit here today. Not looking forward to summer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#21]

You suck. It was 85 and fucking humid as shit here today. Not looking forward to summer.
View Quote
Yeah I'm heading back to Ga in a few days. not looking forward to it.
On the upside, experienced my first earthquake last night!
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
It's actually cool here for this time of year.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
It's actually cool here for this time of year.
View Quote
Glad to hear it. I'm getting ready to board in 2 hours. I'll miss AK.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:24:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raven] [#24]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That was a pretty big one. We get several 3.0 - 4.0 quakes a year. A 5.0 maybe once every 1 - 2 years. A strong one 6.0 or over happens what? Every 10 years or so?
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:27:51 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Yeah, when I graduated high school, UAF is the better school, but I didn't want to spend 4 winters in Fairbanks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I dont think you realize how liberal most of this state has become including the Homer area. The "old breed" is dieing out and replaced with kombucha sipping bunny hugging leftists, and as far as being "as far right as you can be" that doesn't mean anything to me. Ive had plenty of "good conservatives" that tried to lie , cheat and con the system like any liberal leftist. I judge people as people not solely on their voting record which I dont ask because its no mans business who another man votes for. Sorta that whole thing of why I defended the constitution
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By raven:
That was a pretty big one. We get several 3.0 - 4.0 quakes a year. A 5.0 maybe once every 1 - 2 years. A strong one 6.0 or over happens what? Every 10 years or so?
View Quote
We were in a cabin next to lake kenai. Shook us up pretty good. From what the owner said, bug ones like that are very rare.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By raven:
Yeah, when I graduated high school, UAF is the better school, but I didn't want to spend 4 winters in Fairbanks.
View Quote
Yeah 4 winters in Fairbanks. No thanks! Never been, but heard enough to convince me it's not for the average person...
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:31:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PolishX] [#29]
We were in a cabin next to lake kenai. Shook us up pretty good. From what the owner said, bug ones like that are very rare.
View Quote

There have been 40 registered events since 2007 that have caused significant damage in the state enough to cause a response from state or federal agencies. It's not "very rare", in fact its something we just live with and respond to. It's what I do for a living so I tend to track it closer than the average person
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#30]

There have been 40 registered events since 2007 that have caused significant damage in the state enough to cause a response from state or federal agencies. It's not "very rare", in fact its something we just live with and respond to. It's what I do for a living so I tend to track it closer than the average person
View Quote
Ahhhh well I trust your opinion on the matter way more than Sven or whatever the fuck his name is that runs the cabins. I'll just keep this tidbit of information to myself. Wife unit doesn't need to know
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I lived in Juneau for 2 years, and loved it.  The wife, not so much.  Didn't help that several of her relatives died while we were there, and last minute flights (even from Juneau, which is much closer to Seattle than Anchorage or Fairbanks) really ate into our savings.  Of course, my job sent me flying all over Northern AK, from Deadhorse to Kotzebue to Tok.  There are occasional land sales, even some where you go out and stake your own boundaries, and the    

The interior of Alaska is cold.  There's a reason the Army's cold weather test facility is located there.  I inspected several projects in Fairbanks where the DOT had installed power outlets in parking lots for engine block heaters, to reduce emissions from everyone leaving their vehicles running in the winter.  Yes, it's that cold.  If you go, make sure you have an engine block heater installed prior to moving.  The soldiers at Ft. Wainwright are told to do that before they move up.  

Alaska is dark in the winter.  Even in Juneau, it was routinely dark when I drove in to work, and dark when I left.  Often the only natural light I saw was when I went outside for lunch.  And that was if it wasn't raining too.  The whole Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real thing.  It is really hard to comprehend what that does to you over months of almost no sunlight.  Fairbanks is getting less than 4 hours of daylight in the dead of winter.  That said, the summers are pretty amazing if you aren't carried off by mosquitoes.  When you can get out of work at 5 pm, and have a whole extra day's worth of sunlight to play, it's pretty amazing.

If you can't swing a whole year on a trial basis, I would highly suggest spending a winter there, to see what you are getting yourself into.  If you have to rent sight unseen (as I did), you can hit up the HTF and ask around for someone to take a look for you.  It was definitely a load off my mind knowing LESPAUL1 had walked through the house and met the landlord before getting on a ferry and shipping all my stuff to Juneau.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2021 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

If you want to keep abreast of the events as they are happening, you can subscribe to an email notification system to let you know when and where they hit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks guys for the input.

I am trying to weigh my options of getting set up here for more self sustainability with what's going on in this country.

I do want tk move there one day but attempting to move in the middle of a shit economy and it would be my luck, it would hit the fan mid move.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the shout out. I was just trying to help and be a better person. We still talk about you guys and the things we shared, glad you came up for a bit.

@armstrong001

King Crab opens on Friday... Got bait today and away we go.

Link Posted: 8/20/2021 1:22:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#35]
Originally Posted By LESPAUL1:
Thanks for the shout out. I was just trying to help and be a better person. We still talk about you guys and the things we shared, glad you came up for a bit.

@armstrong001

View Quote

Showoff  I didn't even get a whitefish spear draw this year.

OP, Fairbanks is a whole different ballgame from the southern areas of the state.  Hell a few years back we had a big storm that knocked power out for weeks in -40 or colder temps.  Thankfully I lived right next to my job back then and my employer was on the 'oh shit' list to get power restored to, so we were only down a few hours.  That was in the heart of Fairbanks.  Outskirts were weeks without power.  

Expect to get punched in the wallet on everything as well.  87 octane gas is ~$3.73 a gallon today, ammo is $1-2 per round for 5.56 and you can't ship it from the states, etc.  Unless you know what you're doing for the obscenely short growing season, you won't get squat from your garden by fall.  We hit high 20's as a low the other night already.  

To be blunt, the vast majority of people I know are looking at leaving.  Hell, I grew up here and I am strongly considering it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 3:11:05 AM EDT
[#36]
If you want farm animals trying to keep them from freezing to death around Fairbanks is gonna be a nightmare and expensive. It was so dang cold there this winter, many days hits -90 and were colder than we were getting in the oil field in Prudhoe bay.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

Showoff  I didn't even get a whitefish spear draw this year.

OP, Fairbanks is a whole different ballgame from the southern areas of the state.  Hell a few years back we had a big storm that knocked power out for weeks in -40 or colder temps.  Thankfully I lived right next to my job back then and my employer was on the 'oh shit' list to get power restored to, so we were only down a few hours.  That was in the heart of Fairbanks.  Outskirts were weeks without power.  

Expect to get punched in the wallet on everything as well.  87 octane gas is ~$3.73 a gallon today, ammo is $1-2 per round for 5.56 and you can't ship it from the states, etc.  Unless you know what you're doing for the obscenely short growing season, you won't get squat from your garden by fall.  We hit high 20's as a low the other night already.  

To be blunt, the vast majority of people I know are looking at leaving.  Hell, I grew up here and I am strongly considering it.
View Quote

Why are they leaving?

I still want to move to a place where I can be left the fuck alone...
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Why are they leaving?

View Quote

I guess it depends on how much you want to be left alone.  There are plenty of places that you live near others, but your neighbors won't bother you.  The thing is, a lot of Alaska is still really like frontier living.  People depend on each other when shit gets bad.  There are those that go completely hermit, but it's nice to have a neighbor who can help if you are stuck in -40 temps in the dark in the middle of winter, with no power or heat.  Alaska will kill you if you aren't careful.  And even sometimes when you ARE careful, it still can kill you.

The State also sells parcels of land, both over the counter to residents and non residents, as well as auctions and remote recreation cabin staking program for residents.  If you did go up and rent for a year, you could be a resident at that point, and have more opportunities to buy.  Maybe living on the outskirts of Wasilla or Palmer or something would be better, and then buy a remote plot and build a cabin from when you want to completely get away for a while.  Here is the DNR website describing land sales.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#39]

@armstrong001

View Quote

I really wish I had stayed a bit longer and did at least one more hunting trip.  It's strange living anywhere else where you can get to hunting grounds in a couple hours, to think that you could instead have a five hour ferry ride, then another 9 hour drive just to get to the vicinity of where you want to hunt.  All to be told the herd has already passed the area and you're out of luck, lol.

I haven't given up on coming back to Alaska at some point.  Our agency is putting in a remote field office in Wasilla, to manage all our road construction projects in the state.  I might move up there in 3-5 years, depending on how work in this area shakes out.  One kid will be off to college by then, and the second will be ready to start high school.  If that window doesn't work, maybe after she graduates as well.  One can dream I guess.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Why are they leaving?

View Quote

I'll tell you why I am leaving after I retire in 6 years 11 days. The combination of factors. We have all the woes of the lower 48 but 2X the costs, if I have to put up with lower 48 problems with sky rocketing crime and taxes then I want 4 seasons and the ability to drive to different states.

#1 Medical care is 2X what it costs in the lower 48 and and specialists of any kind even a decent ENT are backlogged for months.

#2, property taxes just keep going up and up unless you are over 65 or 50% service connected veteran, (for now there is a tax break for that class) then they just over value everyones house to make up for those tax breaks. The boroughs and cities (Even Mat Su & FNSB) like to shit on property owners rights whenever they can and use a great set of arbitrary rules for deciding anything.

#3 infestation of lefties (everywhere), massive "catch and release" of criminals and drug users an nothing is being done about it.

I've lived here since 1993 and its changed alot, I can only imagine how the old timers feel about it now. Alaska has become a land of hipsters, environmental activists and anti developers who make their $ off government funded or "think tank" funded studies and pandering to special interest groups. Oil & gas / mining jobs are falling and the construction industry here is in shambles largely. The companies building things now are from my experience pretty shady on the residential side of things, and on the commercial side large native corp backed ones that just grind through people and crap on them over and over. In almost 30 years few new oil fields have come on line, mining isn't going anywhere, timber is dead and fishing is all Seattle based trawlers or factory ships. It's not just my opinion even the Alaska Chamber of Commerce is backing it up with data.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#41]

I'll tell you why I am leaving after I retire in 6 years 11 days. The combination of factors. We have all the woes of the lower 48 but 2X the costs, if I have to put up with lower 48 problems with sky rocketing crime and taxes then I want 4 seasons and the ability to drive to different states.

#1 Medical care is 2X what it costs in the lower 48 and and specialists of any kind even a decent ENT are backlogged for months.

#2, property taxes just keep going up and up unless you are over 65 or 50% service connected veteran, (for now there is a tax break for that class) then they just over value everyones house to make up for those tax breaks. The boroughs and cities (Even Mat Su & FNSB) like to shit on property owners rights whenever they can and use a great set of arbitrary rules for deciding anything.

#3 infestation of lefties (everywhere), massive "catch and release" of criminals and drug users an nothing is being done about it.

I've lived here since 1993 and its changed alot, I can only imagine how the old timers feel about it now. Alaska has become a land of hipsters, environmental activists and anti developers who make their $ off government funded or "think tank" funded studies and pandering to special interest groups. Oil & gas / mining jobs are falling and the construction industry here is in shambles largely. The companies building things now are from my experience pretty shady on the residential side of things, and on the commercial side large native corp backed ones that just grind through people and crap on them over and over. In almost 30 years few new oil fields have come on line, mining isn't going anywhere, timber is dead and fishing is all Seattle based trawlers or factory ships. It's not just my opinion even the Alaska Chamber of Commerce is backing it up with data.
View Quote

Yup, and in my case I need a pretty notable amount of medical care.  One specialist is in Seattle, another in Phoenix, all expensive but way cheaper than the idiots up here.  Don't get me wrong, we have some good docs, but I'd say a good 75-80% of the specialists are idiots that are here because nobody else except places at the end of the road would hire them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

This is really sad to read.

I see Alaska as the last place in the US to truly discover yourself and truely disappear should you want to.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#43]
North of Fairbanks would be brutal. Brutal. I’m a life long Alaskan. I’d way rather live in the Glenallen area. There’s huge areas there will no local governments, little law enforcement and zero property tax, so you can actually own your land. The more I go up there the more I like it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Everone is very correct with the statements made. We have made it here beyond our expectations.  Housing, medical, and just life is tough and expensive. We are making five times the money here and have more complex issues.

We are 10K out of pocket for medical waiting for insurance to reimburse us, takes about 8 months to pay back. We have great insurance.

Hunting and fishing is unreal and the ability to share with others is a real blessing. That said... this place is a single man's paradise, but no place to just get away. Alaska will just make you go away with no support network. The people make this place work.

Our time is short also...
PM me and I will share contact info for an honest info channel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#45]
If your up to the challenge Rural AK has some nice areas where you can put up a big garden but no livestock. They are areas that get cold in the winter.
Would be stuck using the native hospitals and they are $$$$ to non-Natives.

Gas is $4.53 and higher.
Loaf of bread is almost $4.
#25 sugar is $40
#25 flour is $30-40
Propane is over $10 a gal.
Five dozen eggs is $20

A do all snogo is +$14k.
Might get by with cheaper but would be limited.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#46]
You got us beat on eggs. Fred's was $8 a dozen yesterday and a guy at work sells his extra for a buck an egg.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#47]
You got us beat on eggs. Fred's was $8 a dozen yesterday and a guy at work sells his extra for a buck an egg.
View Quote

I'm getting about 24eggs a day.

Yall want me to ship yall some? Lol
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#48]

I'm getting about 24eggs a day.

Yall want me to ship yall some? Lol
View Quote

Ha, yes Sir.
I do miss having chickens.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#49]
@pumbaajk

I probably wont keep up with this thread, but PM me if you have questions and want to talk. I live about 30 outside of Fairbanks on 7 acres. What you want can be done. It will look a little different than you think, and there is a learning curve, but there aren't any obstacles you can't prepare for. PM me if you need or want.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Hope you guys up there are safe and had a good Thanksgiving.

I still look at land everyday in Alaska. Maybe one day....
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top