Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2021 11:02:21 PM EDT
The wife and I have talked in the past that if we ever were to move out of Iowa that SD, ND, and MT are the only states we could see ourselves moving to. South Dakota being at the top of the list. Well my company is hiring for a wind farm north of Watertown and I'm entertaining the idea of putting in for a transfer there. If only been through Watertown on I29 and to the Terry Redlin Art Center. What's the good, bad, and ugly of living in that area of SD?

Bass fishing, ice fishing, and waterfowl hunting are my hobbies and the area would be damn near heaven for my hobbies. Wife is a funeral director and would like to stay in that career field
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to badmouth Watertown but I've really come to like it. When my town shut down last year for Covid, Watertown stayed open and that's where we went to buy booze, go out to eat, etc. Watertown has some good shopping and is absolutely perfect for your hobbies. Really the only downside to living in this part of SD is the brutal winters.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pokey074:When my town shut down last year for Covid, Watertown stayed open and that's where we went to buy booze, go out to eat, etc. Watertown has some good shopping and is absolutely perfect for your hobbies. Really the only downside to living in this part of SD is the brutal winters.
View Quote

QFT, the continuous wind and harsh winters (this past one being an exception) keeps out the riff raff.

For East River, what's not to love? There's a great, new public gun range on the south side of town, it's halfway between Fargo and Sux Falls if you need to hit a Sams or Costco or catch a flight (you can fly out of ATY but the times are inconvenient and the cost is usually higher than flying out of FAR or FSD plus the United subsidiary SkyWest just lost the carrier contract to a crap small time carrier, thanks FAA!), the local Menards persists with their idiotic mandatory masking (it's the only place in town with their head in the sand) so we're still boycotting them but MACS has everything you need.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By liljakec:
The wife and I have talked in the past that if we ever were to move out of Iowa that SD, ND, and MT are the only states we could see ourselves moving to. South Dakota being at the top of the list. Well my company is hiring for a wind farm north of Watertown and I'm entertaining the idea of putting in for a transfer there. If only been through Watertown on I29 and to the Terry Redlin Art Center. What's the good, bad, and ugly of living in that area of SD?

Bass fishing, ice fishing, and waterfowl hunting are my hobbies and the area would be damn near heaven for my hobbies. Wife is a funeral director and would like to stay in that career field
View Quote

You'll like it there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
For east river it's ok in my opinion. It ain't west river though.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:13:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m62-m76] [#5]
I bought a really nice 2 acre lot, 5 miles west of town.
A really nice spot. I am looking down at a lake.
Construction starts soon, can't wait.
All my kids live there, so easy choice for me.

I Love the Governor!
Politics, Low Taxes, Constitutional Carry, No Restrictions on My Second Amendment.
Every gas station, sells beer, ammo and fishing gear.
Nice, new, Public Gun Range and nice Recreation Center.
Laid back.

I will fit right in with my Humvee and 1960 F250 4x4!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top