Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/24/2020 11:02:34 AM EDT
Looking to move back East with my family. Unfortunately it’s become too cumbersome and expensive for a family to live where I am in WY. We’re renters out here and want to buy a house.

Wife is in marketing, I’ve been in everything from retail management to HR to hospitality, food, dipped a bit into construction. I’m versatile.

We were up in the Charles Town area the other day and prices seemed alright, lots of companies in Martinsburg and other areas. Seems if you’re a sober non drug addict you could do alright.

How’s taxes in WV?

Utility costs?

Vehicle inspections/emissions/registration costs?

Are there public land hunting opportunities? I’m sure nothing will compare to Wyoming but there could be something.

Are public schools something to avoid?

I’m foreseeing an eventual boom in the state down the road as MD/VA go off the deep end and people flee them like they fled California to go to AZ, NV, OR.

What do you love about where you live and what do you wish could be better?

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That area is fast becoming NOVA -West.

Not an area I would be interested in living, but we all have our own likes,dislikes, needs.

I have 900,000 acres of National Forest across the road that I can walk off into.

Property taxes are cheap in my county, but there's no services to speak of either.

Nice place to live if you don't need to work.
View Quote

Wife is setting herself up to work remotely but I won’t trust that in this day and age. Need to have jobs around as we’re in our late 20s, lots of work to do before retirement.

How is the crime in WVA?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wife is setting herself up to work remotely but I won’t trust that in this day and age. Need to have jobs around as we’re in our late 20s, lots of work to do before retirement.

How is the crime in WVA?
View Quote

If you can find a place west of I-81, do it.  That said a few realtors I know all think the I-81 corridor between Front Royal, VA and Chambersburg, PA is going to boom over the next 20-30 years.

Crime isn't bad unless you're in Martinsburg.  Outside the city mostly property crime (druggies stealing stuff) and DV.  Traffic is starting to suck but nothing as bad as northern VA unless there's an accident on the interstate, which due to the construction is almost daily now.

Avoid anything built by Ryan or Pulty unless you want WalMart quality in your home.  You can find decent places without an HOA or deed restrictions.

I'm in Inwood and there are places in my subdivision up for sale.  We're on the west side of town bordering Gerrardstown.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How is the crime in WVA?
View Quote

One thing  ,you can't generalize WVa, big difference from panhandle to South Charleston, even east side of WV is different from west side. It seems you've picked an area,  but like mentioned the panhandle gonna get eaten up by Md/Va ppl.

Where I'm at its great, this is what WV is all about, but no jobs here , like Waldo said,  nice place to live ( in country and mountains) if you don't need to work.

Cell phones don't work here, so I don't own one,  this is a plus in my book , lol.

Figure what kinda life you want,  urban,  suburbs or rural. And even then , there are varying degrees of each.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

One thing  ,you can't generalize WVa, big difference from panhandle to South Charleston, even east side of WV is different from west side. It seems you've picked an area,  but like mentioned the panhandle gonna get eaten up by Md/Va ppl.

Where I'm at its great, this is what WV is all about, but no jobs here , like Waldo said,  nice place to live ( in country and mountains) if you don't need to work.

Cell phones don't work here, so I don't own one,  this is a plus in my book , lol.

Figure what kinda life you want,  urban,  suburbs or rural. And even then , there are varying degrees of each.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the crime in WVA?

Yea. We’re looking for suburbs I guess. Nothing will compare to what I have here so I have to settle no matter where.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Be prepared for the state to be raped for at least the next 4 years. Double digit unemployment, state agency budget cuts, reduced school funding along with skyrocketing fuel and electricity prices and the like. Basically a repeat of 2009. I love living here but it gets tough when the .gov declares war on your way of life.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Be prepared for the state to be raped for at least the next 4 years. Double digit unemployment, state agency budget cuts, reduced school funding along with skyrocketing fuel and electricity prices and the like. Basically a repeat of 2009. I love living here but it gets tough when the .gov declares war on your way of life.
View Quote

Is the unemployment due to lack of jobs or just the mindset of people there? Or both?

I wouldn’t say no to a private school for a few years. We’ve also considered home schooling.(my family was all homeschooled)
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the unemployment due to lack of jobs or just the mindset of people there? Or both?

I wouldn’t say no to a private school for a few years. We’ve also considered home schooling.(my family was all homeschooled)
View Quote

Mainly lack of jobs, which is not as big of an issue in the EPH.  P&G is hiring for $18.50 per hour plus benefits if you have a HS diploma or GED and can pass a whiz quiz.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mainly lack of jobs, which is not as big of an issue in the EPH.  P&G is hiring for $18.50 per hour plus benefits if you have a HS diploma or GED and can pass a whiz quiz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I have a friend who works there. He says you could move up pretty fast if you’re technical. And I didn’t get specifics but there are other places that are offering higher starting wages than them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out southern wv.  Not deep south, but between Beckley and Fayetteville. It is starting to come up.  Not really for the right reasons in my opinion, but still.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check out southern wv.  Not deep south, but between Beckley and Fayetteville. It is starting to come up.  Not really for the right reasons in my opinion, but still.
View Quote

Ah tourism and all those high paying service industry jobs it brings. Chaps my ass every time I think about the millions wasted on developing tourism instead of actual industry.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

This is where I live, so I will say yes.  It is however starting to get expensive for housing due to the tourism down here and the decent priced stuff is being bought up by out of staters and for vacation rentals.  

I will also urge you to look in the northcentral WV area on the I-79 corridor in Lewis, Harrison, Marion, Monongalia, Taylor area.  It is booming right now and the only other place I would consider relocating too.  

I went to school and worked up there for a long time so its one of my favorite places.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ah tourism and all those high paying service industry jobs it brings. Chaps my ass every time I think about the millions wasted on developing tourism instead of actual industry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve got a group that comes up from the Charlotte NC metro area several times a year to ride the Hatfield McCoys & Outlaws, it’s a damn shame seeing how bad the western WV area is. Was out north west of Welch this past weekend, I have no idea how you would keep your sanitary, knowing there is no light at the end of the tunnel - sad & depressing. Seems like ATV tourism is all there is. With that said, a couple of the resort owners we know are from Greensboro & Hickory NC. They’re providing jobs for locals, the profits ain’t staying in WV.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I was going to ask the same question. In general about the North eastern area near the VA border. But after reading this I think TN is still my target area!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Kinda curious about the far west Kenova area.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Kinda curious about the far west Kenova area.
View Quote

Just spent 3 weeks there restoring power after an ice storm. Huntington is a city in industrial decline. Marshall University and the hospital are probably the top employers. I think Cabell county led the state in OD's recently. Kenova is just a suburb of Huntington. There are some nice areas, but there are lots of absolute shitholes too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Not a bad area, if you don't need to work.

That being said, there are jobs, if you can piss clean and have a half a brain.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I might be a new WV property owner, but today I watched a gorgeous sunrise with a big herd of deer right off my front porch. Drove to the slopes and got a great day of late winter snowboarding in and stopped over at Swilled Dog cidery on the way home.

West Virginia living is kick ass, OP.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I might be a new WV property owner, but today I watched a gorgeous sunrise with a big herd of deer right off my front porch. Drove to the slopes and got a great day of late winter snowboarding in and stopped over at Swilled Dog cidery on the way home.

View Quote

Funny, didn't see you mention anything about getting up at 4 AM to shovel a path in the snow out to the truck to warm it up before driving an hour in to work. WV living has been kicking my ass lately. 3 weeks straight in Huntington restoring power from the ice storm. And there is plenty of winter left. I've had snow on the 15th day of May before at home in western Greenbrier.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Funny, didn't see you mention anything about getting up at 4 AM to shovel a path in the snow out to the truck to warm it up before driving an hour in to work. WV living has been kicking my ass lately. 3 weeks straight in Huntington restoring power from the ice storm. And there is plenty of winter left. I've had snow on the 15th day of May before at home in western Greenbrier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea we get 500” of snow on average here. I’m not too worried in that regard.

Job market is my concern though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How is the crime in WVA?
View Quote

If you're working from home and looking at a more "rural" area, not one of the 5 or 6 population centers...
better make sure there's high speed internet.  There are many places here that it's not available.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you're working from home and looking at a more "rural" area, not one of the 5 or 6 population centers... better make sure there's high speed internet.  There are many places here that it's not available.
View Quote

Never mind high-speed internet, better make sure there's cell service.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I go between Charleston and the EPH area right now until we relocate up here permanently.

The place I work is usually always hiring new people.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Don’t rely on calling the internet companies to verify if there is high speed available, ask the neighbors to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I believe the area I live in is one of the most beautiful on the east coast. Has pretty much everything I would ever want to do. We backpack, cave, rock climb, snow ski, hunt, fish, mountain bike and much more. Town is only a little over a half hour away which isn't too bad. It is getting a lot more crowded than it used to be, but I guess that is everywhere out side of the cities and suburbs as people try to escape all the crap that goes with living in those places. The mountain highlands of Greenbriar, Pocahontas, Randolph and Tucker county is absolutely Gods country if you can make it work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's nice over there  (except for the snow and no cell service).

I just couldn't find a place to buy in the area back when I was looking. I tried, but the inventory was tiny at the time.

But I'm pretty happy over here.  The weather is a bit more moderate and my phone works. (As long as I stay on the mountain.)

Plus I caught a limit of Trout today.
View Quote

I caught 10 trout yesterday and 16 today on my lunch breaks down on the Shavers Fork. Only kept 6 of all of those. I love that I can be on the rivers within 5 minutes from my house.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Waldo, I'm going to be down your way Saturday with my son to go caving. Probably going to bring the fishing gear. Do you know any good fishing spots near Riverton?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Man I would want to be there but doubt it’s best for our careers. We’re still young, probably have a lot more in our future from the looks of it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Go up smoke hole canyon.  Tell the old fucker in the power wagon to save trout for you!
View Quote

I love fishing Smokehole. I always catch good sized fish there!
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I believe the area I live in is one of the most beautiful on the east coast. Has pretty much everything I would ever want to do. We backpack, cave, rock climb, snow ski, hunt, fish, mountain bike and much more. Town is only a little over a half hour away which isn't too bad. It is getting a lot more crowded than it used to be, but I guess that is everywhere out side of the cities and suburbs as people try to escape all the crap that goes with living in those places. The mountain highlands of Greenbriar, Pocahontas, Randolph and Tucker county is absolutely Gods country if you can make it work.
View Quote

Amen brother.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I have seen several references to West Virginia being a nice place to live if you don't have to work.  I am planning on retiring in 6 more years, so work will be optional.  What kind of income does someone need to be able live comfortably?  

-K
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have seen several references to West Virginia being a nice place to live if you don't have to work.  I am planning on retiring in 6 more years, so work will be optional.  What kind of income does someone need to be able live comfortably?  

-K
View Quote

Thats subjective. Depends on your life style etc..
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-K

Also depends on your county.  The eastern panhandle is basically a suburb of DC so housing is getting expensive.  Like anywhere else, the further you are from civilization the cheaper it gets.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Probably too late since it's already Saturday. But I don't fish much on the North Fork.  I'm only a few miles from Seneca Rocks as the crow flies, but I have to drive at least 20 miles to get to the North Fork, probably close to 30 to Seneca Rocks.  There's no road across North Mountain. Either have to drive to Petersburg and backtrack or go across 33 and Judy Gap.

OTOH, I'm only 2.5 miles from the South Branch and Smoke Hole by road.
View Quote

Wife and I took off from work and went fishing at Smoke Hole yesterday. Surprised by how crowded it was on a Tuesday, it was back before Covid Saturday crowded. Still caught a bunch of fish. Had to skedaddle early to get home to get our son off the bus.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Tagged for interest.

How’s life in Berkeley Springs these days? That little town has always held a special place in my heart.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Am another one looking at WV.  Mainly for affordable rural small town living that doesn't get too hot in the summer.  Still like some winter, but the -20,-30's during long winters up here (NW WI) is starting to hurt.  Am retired, don't need a job and very comfortable not living in suburbia.  Want to be careful about not moving into yuppie area. Still need to be at least 30 miles from decent medical services.  Was looking at the Northern/central areas se of Pittsburgh.  There appears to be a lot of good motorcicling in the area, but would really like to be close to a good gun range, hopefully being able to access up to 600-1000 yds and pistol shooting.

Any suggestions for nice smaller towns?

Thanks it be sincerely appreciated
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Ezekiel, the I-79 corridor that you mentioned has pretty warm summers. Up where I'm at in the highlands east of Elkins only breaks into the low 80's a handful of times during the summer. We have a good hospital in Elkins and the bigger University hospitals are only 1.5 hrs away.
You would have to drive a bit to a public range that satisfies your parameters,  however there are lots of national forest land that you can shoot on. A neighbor of mine has a 1000 yard range on his property.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#46]
thanks, it be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Am another one looking at WV.  Mainly for affordable rural small town living that doesn't get too hot in the summer.  Still like some winter, but the -20,-30's during long winters up here (NW WI) is starting to hurt.  Am retired, don't need a job and very comfortable not living in suburbia.  Want to be careful about not moving into yuppie area. Still need to be at least 30 miles from decent medical services.  Was looking at the Northern/central areas se of Pittsburgh.  There appears to be a lot of good motorcicling in the area, but would really like to be close to a good gun range, hopefully being able to access up to 600-1000 yds and pistol shooting.

Any suggestions for nice smaller towns?

Thanks it be sincerely appreciated
View Quote

Im north westish of slanesville

but i like going thru romney in the summer yet you have the augusta hospital and the rt50 hospital in winchester va and the hospitals in cumberland md
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Anybody with opinions on the Wardensville area for outdoors activity.

Fishing, shooting, hunting, hiking, camping, etc.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anybody with opinions on the Wardensville area for outdoors activity.

Fishing, shooting, hunting, hiking, camping, etc.
View Quote

That's near Waldo. I'm further south. But basically all the same, lots of state parks, hiking, kayaking, etc,

Have no idea on ranges, most have private ranges
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top