Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2018 9:31:10 AM EDT
Been looking/reading over the WY game laws it's difficult on my computer as it's all in PDF.

Looking for some basic info...

Are coyote regulated in any way or can you hunt them all year?

Can you hunt them at night?

NV and Thermal allowed?

Electronic calls allowed?

Will an out-of-state person need a license?

Any public access land within an hour/hour and a half of Cheyenne?

Here in FL you don't need anything and can hunt them anytime, anyhow.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot first...  then shoot again!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Been looking/reading over the WY game laws it's difficult on my computer as it's all in PDF.

Looking for some basic info...

Are coyote regulated in any way or can you hunt them all year? No restrictions, all year.

Can you hunt them at night? Not sure, as I don't have the means or desire to hunt at night.

NV and Thermal allowed? See above

Electronic calls allowed? Yes

Will an out-of-state person need a license? Have been told it's nice if you've had a hunters safety course. But no license or limits

Any public access land within an hour/hour and a half of Cheyenne? Chunks of state trust all over. Plus where I went up in the Medicine Bow NF between Cheyenne and Laramie. Only restriction up there is shooting during the summer months due to the high traffic of campers, bicyclists, and hikers.

Here in FL you don't need anything and can hunt them anytime, anyhow.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Coyotes are unregulated, and some counties still offer bounties on them.

You can use whatever call you like.  You cannot hunt them at night on public land, but may do so on private land, and can use NODs, etc, with landowners permission.

Buy On X for your phone, or get really good at reading maps.  There are millions of acres of public land here, but it is often confusing and not very straightforward where the boundaries are.  Rancher Joe isn't going to care why you are trespassing, he has heard all of the excuses before, and you will be meeting the Sherriff.
View Quote
Excellent, thank you for the reply.

So... it's ok to hunt them all year on Public access land, just need to make sure not to trespass.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#6]
@Bowhntr6pt

Out of state license not needed but hunter safety course is.

Hunting license is not needed for "nuisance animals" (i believe that is the legal term they use)

You also need to be 100% on the land where you are shooting if you are shooting on public land. They take a dim view of crossing onto restricted land or private property. Pick up a BLM land map for the area where you are hunting or get a good GPS that has the land use maps on it. Someone might have a good app for this. Make sure that it is BLM or state (marked in blue). Keep your eyes open when you get there. I was checking one spot out on the state land and it was closed for hunting for some reason...can't remember why.

If you want some spots I hit for prairie dogs a couple years ago on the west side of Medicine bow down in SE WY then IM me and I will hook you up. Might reach out to Dan_in_CO too. He might be looking for an excuse to take his boys out for a hunt.

Love bragging about these old threads and I post them every chance I get so enjoy. Hope they inspire you.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/-/1-689573/?page=1

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/-/3-685438/?page=1

If you are going out there anytime soon, I'm sure it is still snowing now. I went in April and it was nice but they got 6 inches of snow while I was there and I had to cut and run back for Denver in case the highways were gonna be shut down.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@Bowhntr6pt

Out of state license not needed but hunter safety course is.

Hunting license is not needed for "nuisance animals" (i believe that is the legal term they use)

You also need to be 100% on the land where you are shooting if you are shooting on public land. They take a dim view of crossing onto restricted land or private property. Pick up a BLM land map for the area where you are hunting or get a good GPS that has the land use maps on it. Someone might have a good app for this. Make sure that it is BLM or state (marked in blue). Keep your eyes open when you get there. I was checking one spot out on the state land and it was closed for hunting for some reason...can't remember why.

If you want some spots I hit for prairie dogs a couple years ago on the west side of Medicine bow down in SE WY then IM me and I will hook you up. Might reach out to Dan_in_CO too. He might be looking for an excuse to take his boys out for a hunt.

Love bragging about these old threads and I post them every chance I get so enjoy. Hope they inspire you.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/-/1-689573/?page=1

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/-/3-685438/?page=1

If you are going out there anytime soon, I'm sure it is still snowing now. I went in April and it was nice but they got 6 inches of snow while I was there and I had to cut and run back for Denver in case the highways were gonna be shut down.
View Quote
Thanks... my son is living in WY now and I'll have him dig into this more. IM sent.

ETA- tried to IM you, your box is full.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]
IM sent
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is the map area where I went. West side of Medicine Bow. The drive over the mountain (sr130) is beautiful if it is open.

The red dot is where I threw my orange tent up during the 2016 trip. Looked like a good spot to try coyotes. There were tons of prong horn around and a cattle ranch across the road.

As you drive north from that campsite, the land flattens out and you can see the lighter colored areas where the PDs are digging. I walked the BLM land west of that Treasure Island public access marked in red here.

You'll probably have to save the images so you can zoom in and read the details or contact me and I'll email them to you. You can also hunt varmints in the green state forests but less conducive to calling yotes I would imagine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here is the map area where I went. West side of Medicine Bow. The drive over the mountain (sr130) is beautiful if it is open.

http://i66.tinypic.com/24m7vau.jpg

The red dot is where I threw my orange tent up during the 2016 trip. Looked like a good spot to try coyotes. There were tons of prong horn around and a cattle ranch across the road.
http://i68.tinypic.com/34rf96x.jpg

As you drive north from that campsite, the land flattens out and you can see the lighter colored areas where the PDs are digging. I walked the BLM land west of that Treasure Island public access marked in red here.
http://oi68.tinypic.com/mujrqw.jpg

You'll probably have to save the images so you can zoom in and read the details or contact me and I'll email them to you. You can also hunt varmints in the green state forests but less conducive to calling yotes I would imagine.
View Quote
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top