Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2020 3:49:17 PM EDT
I'm a travel nurse who works in the OR. This COVID mess has killed OR jobs thanks to elective cases being cancelled. My contract here was cancelled early. We were planning on heading west anyway in May. One of the few places with a job posted right now is Pueblo. Any info you guys could provide would be great. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You will be close to a lot of cool locations, but Pueblo is somewhat of a dump.  JMHO.

If you will have time to go to those cool places (+-2 hrs driving), and want to spend that time in the mountains, so it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Look outside Pueblo to live, I live in Rye/Colorado City area and love it. My office is in Pueblo West which is a great town but EXPENSIVE. It's awesome out here. Pueblo is nice also, just stay away from the East side :)
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Pueblo is a dump.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Live in Pueblo West or Colorado City.

Centura Health in Pueblo isnt the most stable right now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Good Mexican food there.

About the only positive.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Pueblo West and can tell you that its far better than anywhere inside the city of Pueblo.
Real Estate is relatively cheap but going up all over.

Colorado City and Rye are awesome, but you're looking at a 20 minute commute to South Pueblo.
There's not not a lot of services up there, too.

Taxes are cheaper outside of Pueblo (7.4%) versus (3.9%) in PWest and Colorado City.  

Also, Parkview is a better hospital the St. Mary's, IMHO....
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Parkview medical center is a decent facility, with a friendly staff who work well together.  The city is a mixed bag, with a very left of center vibe from it's distant past as a focal point of labor unrest and ties to the steel and mining industries.  There are areas that are tolerable, such as the area near the university, the far north side and Pueblo West (where the wind never stops...).  Overall, the city is a sore spot in Colorado, with high crime and a large amount of the population who's highest goal is to ensconce themselves in any Government job they can get while being protected by a union.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I am biased so take it with a grain of salt. Pueblo isn't the nicest place. Between poverty and crime, drugs, etc. I hear Pueblo West is better. It really depends what kind of life you want.

It is fairly close to some amazing mountain areas for sure. You'd be 40-50 minutes from Colorado Springs which has just about anything you could desire- about an hour further puts you in Denver with 4 major sports teams. If you are really into nightlife, culture, etc, might think about moving to someplace further north.

Colorado Springs is still somewhat affordable.  Anything further north and it starts getting crazy expensive. Keep in mind, the road between COS and DEN right now is a shitshow, and will be for about 2 more years.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am biased so take it with a grain of salt. Pueblo isn't the nicest place. Between poverty and crime, drugs, etc. I hear Pueblo West is better. It really depends what kind of life you want.

It is fairly close to some amazing mountain areas for sure. You'd be 40-50 minutes from Colorado Springs which has just about anything you could desire- about an hour further puts you in Denver with 4 major sports teams. If you are really into nightlife, culture, etc, might think about moving to someplace further north.

Colorado Springs is still somewhat affordable.  Anything further north and it starts getting crazy expensive. Keep in mind, the road between COS and DEN right now is a shitshow, and will be for about 2 more years.
View Quote

I'd move to Pueblo West based on what you're saying.

Cheap and it's a short enough drive to COS.

Perfect.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

I'd move to Pueblo West based on what you're saying. 

Cheap and it's a short enough drive to COS. 

Perfect.  
View Quote

Just be aware that you would constantly be correcting people "oh hell no, I don't live in Pueblo, I live in Pueblo West"  

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#12]
based upon the few times I've driven through, Pueblo grows 87% of their weed within 25 yards of I-25.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]
When the Orowheat Bakery Outlet reopens, buy your bread there.  $1-$1.79 a loaf (exit 98B).
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Pueblo is also much hotter than Colorado Springs; it is a dry heat but it's also about 2k feet lower than COS.

How close do you want to be from an airport?
How often do you think you'd drive to Denver for events?

Pueblo County Voted for Hillary
El Paso county voted 66% for Donald J Trump
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#15]
They have Sam's Club but no Costco in Pueblo.  There are two Lowe's and one Home Despot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top