Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2020 3:05:10 PM EDT
I work pipeline and am having to do some work in the Knottsville area. It looks like Owensboro is the closest area that has hotels. I will be there for around 10 days.

Was looking at staying at the Courtyard near where Hwy 60 and Hwy 54 intersect.

Any info about the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
go to Whittaker Guns if bored... closed on Sunday/Monday
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
What info do you seek? @drscws
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

@jaymack

Basically just areas to stay away from, if any. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Eat at NIKO’s Italian restraunt on East Fredricka Ave.
Get the mushroom appetizer and then anything else.
 You need a reservation
Do to COVID restrictions.  Great food!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you want to know?

Courtyard is ok, plenty of nice new places on the river

Whittaker's and academy for gun stuff

Moonlite bbq, miller's house, colbys, briarpatch, Texas Roadhouse, bdubs(we have one of the better ones in the us)

As far as pizza, pizza by the guy is best.

I'm here mostly everyday.

Link Posted: 11/15/2020 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@jaymack

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jaymack

Gotcha... My only suggestion is do not cross the big body of water at the North end of JR Miller BLVD - that will put you into Indiana.  My dad always told me there's nothing worth crossing the bridge for.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Gotcha... My only suggestion is do not cross the big body of water at the North end of JR Miller BLVD - that will put you into Indiana.  My dad always told me there's nothing worth crossing the bridge for.
View Quote

Bucks and Jake's in boonville and Evansville are good places to shop.

Decent gun stores
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info everyone. Made it into town late last night.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info everyone. Made it into town late last night.
View Quote

If you run into trouble shoot me a pm

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#10]
^
Avoid the west side of town. It isn't all that bad, but that's where most of the gang related shootings have been (that I'm aware of).

As others have said, Whittakers is the go to spot for gun stuff but its slim pickings right now. Uncle Lees is about a 40 minute drive and also has a good selection (owned by Buds Gunshop). Ole Hickory is the best BBQ in town, moonlight is the touristy place to eat. There's a place like a block off the river called City Walk that has really good home-style food at decent prices (if they're still open).

A brewery/are throwing place recently opened, I haven't been but I hear its pretty fun. Bowling Green is about an hour and a half drive, but they do have the Corvette museum.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Definitely hit up Whittaker’s. It’s about 10-15 minutes outside of Owensboro.  Haven’t been there in a few months so not sure what they’re inventory looks like right now because of panic buying. But still worthwhile to check it out.

Places to eat:

Moonlite BBQ
Old Hickory BBQ
Briarpatch-  great steaks and salads
Colbys- American casual
Fetta Pizza- great local pizza joint
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I worked out of Owensboro for several months about 2 years ago. O'boro is not very big, but at least has the modern amenities that Central City (actual work site) did not have.

One thing I learned about Western KY barbecue, meeehhhh. Sorry you guys but WK barbecue especially mutton is not that good. The pork was alright but the mutton really sucks and I am a lamb lover and that is so far removed from mutton you wouldn't know it was even related.

Moonlite was okay better than Old Hickory IMHO.

There was a Mexican place kind of near Lowe's at least on that side of the highway coming into O'boro that was in a shopping center that was pretty damn good. Can't remember the name.

I will add, if you want to find some of the better bourbons, go over the bridge to IN. Rockport I think was the town, it had a little package store and I would find some really good bourbons there. Whatever the big liquor store is over near the Lowe's when you walk up to the counter look back over to the right on a little table there, they keep the really good stuff there.

Forgot to add. When I was there I stayed in the Hampton Inn. It was by far better than anything in Central City (that place sucks) and they matched the rate at the Comfort Inn in CC. I got tons of points on that stay.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#13]
What was the sports bar place by the Courtyard there in Owensboro?   Had a smoking bar side and non smoking side.

That place was pretty fun.   Been several years since I've been up that way though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn straight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top