Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2019 4:51:09 PM EDT
This coming summer, my son (active duty) is being sent to Cannon AFB for a couple of years. He's been there a couple of times already for work, but hadn't paid much attention to the area. Basics: married, several kids, 3 thru 7, likes to shoot when he can, will be living off-base. I saw the range north of town, but couldn't find out cost info. Also, any suggestions for housing - go/no-go areas, stay north of X, east of Y, etc.  Any good info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 2:14:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It happens. I realize that area isn't exactly a major hub of civilization, but I'm sure there are a few folks here who've spent some time there. It's worth a shot. Maybe someone will see this over the next few months.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if our Roswell or Hobbs members can shed some light on the Clovis area. They are going to be closer than any of us, they may have been through there recently.

Fellas, a little insight maybe?

@Reno_Raines

@44Punk

@CJ7365
@vm225

@BUCK1911
@Chinga-le

Edit: Sorry Las Cruces members. I failed to look at the correct city of members. But if you can help great.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s been damn near 20 years since I’ve been there regularly.  Best I got is a bank recommendation.  JP Stone, it’s headquarters is there.  I use them here in Hobbs, and they’re awesome.

Ruidoso is around 3hrs away if IIRC, great mountain town to get away from the heat or go skiing/snowboarding if they’ve got snow.  Same for Cloudcroft.

Lubbock is a few hours away for all your bigger city needs, yes I know not a big city by most rights but we’re in BFE.

He’s not too far from some great hunting and NM has ton’s of state and federal land to shoot, play and hunt on.

Sorry, wish I could be of more help.   I’ll ask around to see if any of my friends kids are at ENMU to find out more.

His best bet, other than some locals here, is to get his list of questions written and start asking his sponsor when he gets one.

ETA:  I didn’t even think about it, but I’ll ask the folks at the bank.  Some still live there and commute a few days to the branch here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  He spent a few years at Holloman a while back and knows Ruidoso and Cloudcroft pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't spent much time there but like the area.
Great little airport but thats all I know.
I will ask around.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was stationed there in the mid 80s we lived off base in an area that was to the north and east of town. There was a nice golf course and country club up that way but we didn't live there. Also, there was a feed lot on the south side of town. When the wind blew from the southwest, you could smell it all through town. Don't know if it's still there but if it is, you don't want to live too close. Pheasant hunting around the town was great but I understand it deteriorated during a long drought and is not that good now. The local Fire Department  I think at Melrose used to run some kind of deal where for a small price, you could get access to pheasant hunting land on both sides of the border. You needed a Texas license to hunt Texas of course. I tried to see if the FD was still doing that now but could find no info on it. Rec Services on base should have info on fishing and hunting around there. A lot of guys would rent or take boats and fish for Walleyes at Conchas lake.  And be sure to tell them to visit Billy the Kids grave in Ft Sumner.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Good info, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#9]
CAFB used to be home to the 27th TFW (F-111Ds, then F-16s and EF-111s), now the 27th Special Operations Wing (AC-130s) last I heard.

I used to live off Prince St and Llano Estacado back when Llano Estacado was freshly completed.  Clovis isn't as bad as many make it out to be.  There are nice homes or apartments to live in.  It has restaurants and watering holes (I used to like Kelly's Bar and Grill on Prince when I lived there) where you can blow off steam.  Crosshair Gunshop on Main used to be fun (probably gone now).  I moved to ID in 1997, so don't know what the town is like now.

He can also live in Portales (19 miles away) if he likes the "small town" atmosphere (12-15K depending on if school at ENMU is in session).  Airbase Rd connects Portales with the CAFB back gate.  Like everywhere else in NM, you have to be careful when you drive out there.  Lots of fatalities for one reason or another.

Clovis used to get on my nerves and I couldn't wait to leave for greener pastures, but it wasn't the worst place in the world to live.

ETA:  There used to be a range off Airbase Rd south of (I believe) Oasis State Park, but I'd take the road to Muleshoe between Clovis and Portales, and turn south on the state line and find a place to do my shooting away from the idiots.  Didn't always work as there were some weird people out there a time or two, but people generally leave you alone when you're armed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along to him.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Clovis is alright been here since 2016 I know the range owner and the staff very well. The previous owner was a fuckhead and didn’t take care of anything. New owner and management has done a great job getting the place in good order. As far as things to do I bought a reloader so I could always have something to do. The area had crime but that’s New Mexico if he lives on the east side of town anywhere above 21st street he will be good. But not out of the clear mind you. Hunting is great if you like antelope but like Texas is hard to find people that will let you on their land. Also no stores sell any alcohol after 11:45 and on Sunday so if he like to have a drink he needs to keep that in mind. Anything else you want to know just ask boss.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info. Any idea of membership fees for the range? Their website doesn't list them. As far as where to live, they've decided to live on base.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#13]
So the range runs as a club so a 3 day membership (punch card) is under 30 for a year membership for military it’s about 140. You get a free guest per month and 5% off ammo and one free rental per year! They do have a Barrett 50 rental. Plus a full auto and suppressed MP5 and FN P90. Any other questions boss just ask!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, I appreciate the update!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top