Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2023 7:12:52 PM EDT
I can live anywhere within six hours’ drive of NYC, so I’m looking at a few duplexes in Claremont tomorrow/Saturday. Demographics seem okay, the percentage of people living below poverty line is kinda high but I guess that’s how it is in a town with an average individual income below $50k.
Is it a shithole town? What neighborhoods are to be avoided? What other small cities should I be looking at?

Specifically shopping for a duplex (or larger multi unit home) southwest of 89, but I can’t afford anything over a half mil right now so please don’t call me a poor for not buying a hundred acres up north and dropping a mobile home on it.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I live south of 89 and like it.  You can still get decent land out here, particularly in my area.   Unless you're a lefty, then I think MA is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Claremont. It has some crappy areas, and can be trashy in others but I think it’s on its way up.  I could happily live there.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like Claremont. It has some crappy areas, and can be trashy in others but I think it’s on its way up.  I could happily live there.
View Quote

I keep seeing the same thing on other social media venues.

I've only been twice, so all I know is Runnings sells bar oil for <$10 a gallon.

IMO, with the exception of a couple lib towns and Keene I like the SW of the state better than the SE.

Wasn't Claremont the center of some property tax debacle a few years ago?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Claremont is alright, I live relatively close by in the New London/Sutton area. As long as you stay away from the bigger cities like Manchester and Nashua you should be fine. You should be able to find quite a bit in your price range.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unless you're a lefty, then I think MA is awesome.
View Quote

This^^^^^^^^^

Any "shithole" NH town is better than anything in the entire state of NY..... period

And don't come here if you're bringing NY's shitty values with you, seriously. You're not wanted here if that's the case.

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This^^^^^^^^^

Any "shithole" NH town is better than anything in the entire state of NY..... period

And don't come here if you're bringing NY's shitty values with you, seriously. You're not wanted here if that's the case.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Claremont will have relatively inexpensive houses but high property taxes.

You also have to dodge all the VT plated cars shopping Washington Street to avoid the VT sales tax that funds all their unicorn farts and rainbows VT social programs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Do yourself a favor and check out Stoddard.  Low taxes, low population density, lots of woods and lakes, 20 minutes from shopping and a hospital.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This^^^^^^^^^

View Quote

Username checks out
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't want to offend anybody, but in my humble opinion, Claremont is a bit of a shithole. There are certainly wealthier neighborhoods, but also lots of run down neighborhoods.

Good shopping, though
View Quote

A friend of mine is a realtor in Claremont, they said it's slowly being gentrified. And no matter where you go, there's alway the shitty streets.

My suggestion to OP, find some land and a house out of the urban area. You'll enjoy NH more if you do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top